Posted: Sep 29th 2010 4:35PM CitizenH said

"For the amount of effort that's gone into the pack, of course, eight dollars is a perfectly fair asking price."

I disagree.

They charged for an emote that's been in the game and already available to players for a number of *years*: Open Present

They charged for dance and sports emotes that were already being used by Praetorian NPCs. These emotes were already finished as part of Going Rogue, and outside of the Party Pack, are not seen by people who don't own GR.

These emotes were, until the last minute, part of the GR Beta.

I argue they are part of GR and work for them was essentially paid for by the people who bought GR.

In short, I disagree with them charging people for assets that were already complete (some a long time ago) when all they did was add them to a menu.

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 4:43PM Superfan said

• 1 heart
I think this part of the article is perfect:

"And I think this gets back to a fundamental disconnect between Paragon Studios and the fans, one that I've touched on before: How much work something takes is not tied to how much impact it has on the game."

This has been my gripe for ages with this game. The arrogance of the developers to dismiss what we want and add their desires to the game is just sickening. Who shells out the cash here anyway? We constantly ask for new things to do etc. and we get the same crap in a new package. You can dress a pig up anyway you like but at the end of the day it is STILL a pig!

Going Rogue was supposed to give us an end game system. We were told end game system but then, a little before launch, we were told it was going to be just the first part of the end game. Then in beta the players though so poorly of the system that it was removed and revamped. Now it looks like we will get the bit of the Incarnate system in i19 which is likely out in well over a month from now. How long will be have to wait for the entire end game system now? Oh I'd guess at least a year. The way this dev team works it will take forever and a day to get out anything. It's almost as if we were suckered with GR; yes an end game system was promised and now it'll take forever to be completed. The worst part is the former lead dev is stupid enough to think we wanted another BS system in place and we'd be happy! No thanks, Positard!

This party pack is just sickening. $8 for emotes. The worst thing is, if people blindly support them and get this pack then we can be sure to see more of this rubbish to come out ways.

I really hope there are some drastic changes happening behind the scenes at Paragon because the rubbish we're getting lately is awful. I remember last year they didn't even communicate to the player base for months it was like 8 months between an issue (i16 to i17 and no news from them until like Jan 2010 from just after Oct 2009 - approximately). I don't know what kind of organization they're running over there but I am on my last nerve with these people...again...

Oh, so, my question for Paragon: will we be seeing a stop to the repetitive nature of this game and will be see anything fresh and original to do?

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 4:48PM (Unverified) said

The party pack from CoH is like going to Mc Donalds, ordering a drink and then being told that the straw will be $1.00 extra. You tell them that straws used to be included when you bought a drink but they reply that straws are now extra and you have to pay if you want a straw. You will also have to pay now for each napkin.

Its the same thing, emotes used to be included with every issue or patch. All you paid was your monthly subscription and you got every new emote. Now for some reason they have decided that emotes cost extra and need to be paid for on top of the monthly sub.

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 4:52PM Brianna Royce said

The party pack struck me as a little much, too. I've gladly bought other packs for the costumes and who isn't in love with ninja run?! But emotes are a smidge over the line. Not enough to throw a tantrum over, but enough to make me raise an eyebrow and not hand over my cash. I hope they get back to costumes!

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 5:12PM El Furioso said

Agreed. This is the first add-on pack that I haven't picked up, with no desire to do so. I was a bit disappointed to learn that it didn't include any new costume pieces, but not so much as to raise a ruckus.

Just skip it, move on, and work on getting your Mastermind over to Talos Island. :)

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 5:22PM SkyStreak said

I had a bit of of a logical disconnect when it came to buying this pack for my two accounts.

I honestly didn't think it was worth the money. All of the prior Super Boosters have had powers, costume parts, and emotes (or costume change emotes) for $10.

This one only had emotes. Impressive emotes, but emotes nontheless. They are also emotes that have almost no clear connection with superheroes.

Despite all this, I bought the pack for both of my accounts.

Why?

Rabid CoH fanboy status aside, I wanted to support the game.

In my opinion, this is the first outright 'miss' on Paragon Studios' part. Frankly, CoH is owned by NCSoft, and I can't help but fear that if the revenues from CoH for the quarter where Going Rogue was released are not up to NCSoft's standards, then the game could be at risk.

So, while I may be a sucker for buying it, it will be a one time thing. I sent a PM to the Community Staff telling them as much.

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 6:03PM (Unverified) said

I'm trying my best to vote with my dollars and not buy it, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that this expansion pack crossed some unspoken line of integrity. A buck an emote, when some of them were already in the game is a sad benchmark to set for content value. I own every expansion but this one, and I'm giving up my status as a CoH completist because of it. It's a little depressing.

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 6:47PM vjohnson said

Shadowy Presence is the BRB Bio power. In the middle of a mission, find a corner, turn off toggles and hit this to run afk safely.

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 8:47PM Valdamar said

$8 seems steep to me for 8 emotes so this will be the second CoH add-on pack I haven't bought, because I didn't buy the Wedding pack/booster either - in both cases I had no use for them (sure I use emotes occasionally when goofing around, but I never roleplay) so they're not worth the money to me, but I also feel both packs are rather light on content for their cost.

It's not the first time I've felt that - the SuperScience booster felt very light on costume items as well, especially when compared to the quantity of items in the Martial Arts booster that followed (and the quality of items in the Magic and Cyborg boosters), but I would have bought it just for the wide range of tech goggles and especially for the size/gender-switching at the tailor - so for me it was worth it value-wise just because I wanted to use what was in it.

And I think that's where the emote pack comes unstuck - most players feel it's poor value because most players just don't use emotes that often - whereas we're all using costume pieces all the time.

Also this "party pack" comes at a time when we have a dev team who seem to be struggling to produce free issues of the same size, frequency and quality as they did 2-3 years ago - which is odd as they have 60+ devs now and had 15 devs back then. Sure, they just released an expansion (that was rather disappointing to a lot of vets as it was mainly aimed at new players) and they've released some big systems in the last few years (not all of them entirely successful or well received), but most of the playerbase just wants new/fresh Dev-created mission content to play through. Then there's the lack of story progression - the "Coming Storm" has been coming for several years and has gotten no closer, despite years of build up before that.

Releasing such a lightweight microtransaction pack right after a lightweight Going Rogue (lightweight mainly when compared to CoV) was a poor decision I think - especially with the next years worth of free issues now seeming like it will consist mainly of the Incarnate system which we were originally promised would be in Going Rogue and the single issue that followed it. It just seems like the devs only want to put man-hours into things they can charge for now.

I still have high hopes for Melissa Bianco's tenure as lead dev - she has a background in content creation and she promised us more mission content - I just hope we get it soon because, while it was good to get new newbie content, some of us would like new story/mission content we can use our existing characters for. We need new content and we need innovative content, because both old players and new always mention repetitive content as the game's main problem, and while the game has a lot of content now, most of the playerbase are veterans who have done that content over and over again for the last 5-6 years.

Sure, it's always good to get new costume pieces, new powersets, and even new systems when they're going to be useful to most of the playerbase - but new mission content would be something that EVERYONE could use - it's not a niche add-on that only some people would get use from, it's core gameplay!!! - and that's where Paragon Studios have to focus now, not on add-on packs they can charge for, or bolted-on systems that won't be core gameplay for most players. Heck, I'd even pay $10 for a new content booster pack - one that added a new L20+ zone with at least a dozen new story arcs (of 5+ missions each), new indoor tilesets/maps, plenty of outdoor spawns, a raid/GM, and a new task/strike force - if that's what it would take to get it!

I've been very vocal of my support for this dev team for years, but even I've come to a point where I'm doubting they can deliver on their promises. In some ways I really hope most of the dev team are starting work on CoH2, if only so they've got a good excuse for doing less new content in the past 2 years with 60+ devs than they did in I8-12 with 15 Devs.

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 4:31AM starka1 said

Thanks Valdamar, now I don't have type much except I agree with everything you said.

I'm glad you wrote this article Eliot. I will not buy[support NCSoft] it because I believe it sends a message we will buy anything, especially sub-par work. I also don't believe in the people that defend this by saying support Paragon Studios now so you can get a better product later. Yeah, I've been hearing that line for years and it never came true for me. GR was light, a product that should have done much more to change the game at its release, not months from now as gated content in the new Issues.

Still a great core game that I enjoy but I'm done chasing the carrot with CoH.

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 3:21AM Shirogetsune said

I've also seen Shadowy Presence used in Warburg for nuke farming teams. Run the scientist to the door, activate Shadowy Presence so the scientist stops following, have the player needing to gather nukes run into the scientist and thus, have it latch onto them. If you have a whole team leading scientists to doors while one or two people needing nukes walk them a mere couple feet to the door, it speeds up the process considerably.

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 9:11AM Teh Jer said

I wish people wouldn't open their wallets just out of loyalty. Or if they insist on supporting this game, buy more character slots on other servers. This was a crappy product that is really pushing the price point. If people buy it, they'll do it again the same way, even though people are buying for the wrong reasons.

People used to say 'BEST ISSUE EVAR' with every single update, but it's been a long time since I saw that. That was worth supporting. People support boosters since marketing tells us that the first booster paid for the development of Villain Epic ATs. Fair enough, though I suspect the revenue goes to developing more of those popular booster packs. With this emote pack, I saw people posting that they were buying to spite the haters.

Nothing is like it used to be. *shrug* So looking forward, I'd like to see better value. I'd also like to see the booster packs broken into their components for truly micro transactions. In addition to the whole pack for $10, they should sell the individual pieces. I don't care about most of the party pack emotes, but I'd pay $2 for /e airguitar.

I don't want to see them put out weak packages just because people are married to the game, open the wallet, and say 'yes, dear'. I want to make giddy impulse buys. I'm not giddy about this emote pack.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM