Posted: Sep 28th 2010 6:14PM (Unverified) said

AO was the second MMO I ever played, UO being the first.
Leaving the starting area into Omni-Entertainment for the first time was a real jaw-dropper of a moment as the graphics seemed state of the art back then.

I remember my four years or so in there with fondness:
Roleplaying with the much maligned Omni-Pol, Tarasque raids, Gridstream radio and their amazing parties, patches that made the game unplayable, huge grinding sessions to level up, and needing a calculator and a degree in maths to figure out where to spend IPs and do your implants!

Maybe I should go back and try it again on a Froob account or something. Then again maybe doing that would just spoil those good memories I have when I realise how dated it's become.

Posted: Sep 28th 2010 6:18PM (Unverified) said

Oh one thing I miss more than anything though... non-regional servers. AFAIK only AO & EVE still keep people from all over the world in one place. And I think that's a shame.

Posted: Sep 28th 2010 7:28PM (Unverified) said

Myself and a few friends created Project F Bomb for tower battles, those where the days.

Posted: Sep 28th 2010 8:01PM (Unverified) said

I find it amusing that you call the controls "clunky" since it controls like any other mmo including the oh-so-precious WoW.

And if all you're doing is hitting "Q" and making a sandwich, no wonder you have to heal so much. Oh, and by the way, do you know what health stims and medpaks are? Might help you not have to sit for so long.

But since you think AO should be relegated to the notebook crowd, you'll be happy to know that Means has announced that they will be keeping up both the original client as well as the new client when the new engine hits. So you won't even have to upgrade your clunker when AO's new engine comes out.

Posted: Sep 28th 2010 8:03PM (Unverified) said

Also, for those who want the latest info on the engine, as well as the class balances being worked on currently, here ya go:

Posted: Sep 28th 2010 8:15PM Ordegar said

Ok, you asked for which game to do next? It has to be Dark Age of Camelot of course. There's a game that revolutionized mmos with its RvR form of PvP. A lot of people give credit to Everquest for leading the genre of full-3d mmos, but DAoC did a lot of things that have become standard in modern mmos. Go take a look.

Posted: Sep 28th 2010 8:51PM (Unverified) said

We did DAoC last month, actually!

Posted: Sep 28th 2010 9:06PM Ordegar said

Oh. Oops! :D

Posted: Sep 28th 2010 10:59PM (Unverified) said

Asheron's Call!

The "other guy" when EQ released. It seemed to get lost in the shadow.

Yet this game had so many features:

original lore / setting (No Orcs, goblins or elves here)

A randomly generated loot system similar to diablo that had you anxious to dig through your loot drops and see what you might find. (no grinding the rabid wolves because they have the magic copper sword as a .002% drop rate on their loot table. And you'll never find another player with your exact armor / weapons)

Skill based progression
Create the character you want, not pick from the molds that are offered

Allegiance system that fosters player bonding, loyalty, and assisting new players.

Monthly updates, advancing story lines and content with each monthly payment. It is like buying a mini expansion each month with your subscription.

PvP that is still mentioned amongst the older PvP gamers out there. (Darktide server)

Useful crafting systems like salvaging, breaking down useless items and applying stats to ones you use.

And they have just added a new playable race, the Undead.

Play it!! Please give all us old AC players some acknowledgment and show that not all mmorpgs need be an everquest or WoW clone.

Posted: Sep 28th 2010 11:01PM (Unverified) said

***not all FANTASY mmorpgs need to be....

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 12:24AM Naithin said

Put me in as a seconding for Asheron's Call 1. :)

They put in a New Player Experience system some time ago, so curious what exactly it entails and how well it works in getting new players into the game.

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 12:42PM (Unverified) said

Loved AO. I did about a year upon launch, and went back recently to adventure again for a year. I miss the early launch days where ever city and spawn aerea was packed with people.

Going back, 1-60 is very well structured, with quest paths and dungeons to visit. After that I'd head to Shadowlands, that place is graphically the most interesting place.

Agent is a class that truely is unique to this game, being able to mimic other classes in the game. Adventurer had fun shapeshifting and versatile weapon set ups. Engineer was fun, once you start getting the slayers and bigger bots.

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 1:31PM (Unverified) said

AO was my first real MMO, and at the time it was an awesome game... until Shadowlands ruined it. No thanks I dont need unicorns in my steampunk game.

Anyways. I ultimately quit because the population dropped off drastically to the point that it was impossible to track down buffs. Anybody who has played the game knows buffs pretty much make the game playable (or enjoyable).

If they think the graphic update will bring people back, they are sadly mistaken. Id love for someone to make a new MMO along the same vein as AO, but more up to date and less grindy.

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 2:52PM NickJames said

The community is AO was definitely one of the nicest. Although you would find the occasional quarrals between PvPers in certain areas who liked to show off who was the better "twink". I myself would stand at the newbie starter zones like the original Backyards until they came out with the Jobe starter zone and then finally the Alien starter island. I would sit there and approach new comers and answer their questions and reward them with a backpack full of starter newbie items like a medsuit for implants, an NCU belt with memories, some starter weapons, and a few thousand credits to get them started. I always tried to make someones stay in AO as nice as possible since the game began on a downward slope, I just hope my assistance kept as many active players as possible.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2010 1:08PM Brianna Royce said

I'd love to see you do Asheron's Call, Justin, although it'd probably be better after they are finished with the textures revamp. I loved that game back in the day!

-Bree