Posted: Sep 28th 2010 12:34PM (Unverified) said

That guy in the middle is serious about his world domination.

Posted: Sep 28th 2010 12:52PM Sunlover said

That guy in the middle is Todd MacFarlane, creator of Spawn, co-founder of Image comics, and co-creator of the character Eddie Brock/Venom. Illustrator extraordinaire. A comic book industry legend. Practically a God.

In short, Todd MacFarlane IS serious business.

IMO anyway =) **Hugs his issue of Spawn #1**

Posted: Sep 28th 2010 1:59PM Beau Hindman said

Not to get off-topic, but I hated what Todd M did to Spider Man, the Hulk and comic art in general when he first came out. The guy has a lot of talent, sure, but comparing him to the actual gods of comics, like Kirby, would be like comparing bookstore Manga to better graphic novels. I'll give you this: I haven't paid attention to him in recent years, so maybe he created something better than Spawn. Eeew!

Whoa -- it must be this illness! I haven't had a nerdilogical moment like that in a long time! lol

Beau

Posted: Sep 28th 2010 3:20PM Sunlover said

@ Beau

Hey, bud =) Sorry to hear you're feeling under the weather.

I can understand your opinion on Todd, and respect it. I think mostly the issue is that Todd's style was popular and many of his peers emulated it. There were a lot of great artists around that time and some great stuff came from that era. It was a time when Marvel and DC were "hitting the reset button" on may of their superheroes/villains and needed guys like Todd with fresh visual styles and newer, riskier ideas to reboot their books for a new generation of comic book readers. There is no doubt Kirby is great, and I was just at my local comic book store admiring some more of his work. However, I believe Todd has his place too. I like a lot of different books, and I can appreciate all kinds of comics, from the superhero fluff, to the more "graphic novel" type stuff you may be referring to. (By the way, Graphic Novel is a term which I, like Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, and Jeff Smith, three of my favorite comic book creators by the way, find unnecessary and is mostly used by insecure comic book geeks and marketing suits- no offense!)

Either way, all of that stuff has it's place, just like the many different games you and the awesome staff here at Massively play and review. Todd and other artists of his era were an inspiration to me and my friends and many like us. I'm anxious to get a chance to play the games he is working on with 38 Studios!

Hope you feel better soon! =)

Posted: Sep 28th 2010 4:42PM Beau Hindman said

Thanks man! I was just kinda enjoying poking fun at him. Now I feel bad. Lol seriously, though, he did more for toys by making them more collectible and high-quality, then anyone I have seen in a long time.

I hate to say it, but a lot of his drawing style came off as sort of cheesy to me and my buddies. We were into less over-the-top artists, golden age guys...but that is probably my grumpy old man coming out. So, when I found out he was into making games, I became a little worried there as well.

But thanks again!

Beau

Posted: Sep 28th 2010 12:33PM JayFiveAlive said

Reckoning is actually supposed to be released Fall 2011, not this Fall. ;)

Posted: Sep 28th 2010 12:34PM Rubi said

Whoops, thanks Jay! I got a little ahead of myself there, didn't I? ;-)

Posted: Sep 28th 2010 12:38PM JayFiveAlive said

I got really excited for a second and then had to double check. haha

Posted: Sep 28th 2010 4:03PM Lateris said

Rubiiiiiii- thanks a zillion...now I have to tell my guild...LOL I hope the studio does well.

Betawatch: November 15 - 21, 2014

Posted on Nov 21st 2014 8:00PM

The Stream Team: No more Landmark tour deaths!

Posted on Nov 21st 2014 3:00PM