Posted: Sep 27th 2010 5:46PM Cyron said

I'm a long term player, so it's not a matter of getting me to return to the game or not, but what Incarna will mean to the game.

The biggest issue I see, is that the people who are attracted to and enjoy Incarna, will, on average and almost by definition, be the people who least like the current aspects of the game.

So we face a situation where people are attracted to having avatars that can walk around stations unmolested, whilst they dance, sing, play games and talk to others. They do this and enjoy it, then they undock, and the large scary universe awaits them and rips them a new one if they make some of the more obvious mistakes new players make. If they're already entrenched in EVE before this happens to them for the first time, then they just become station hobbits, whilst staying as long term players. If a population of these develop and grow, then you've got an ever growing chunk of the games audience that are diametrically opposed to EVEs long term previous direction. This means a growing number of gnashing teeth and wailing when this group doesn't get what it wants, or it means the diminishment of the elements that make EVE unique (and more gnashing teeth) if they do get what they want.

For all that, there will be new Incarna players who don't mind player driven challenge (It's not all just shooting each other), who like risk etc, but they will not be the default

Posted: Sep 27th 2010 5:55PM (Unverified) said

I may come back for a month or two, but I won't stay. As many other players have noted, I like Eve the concept, the setting, the story better than I like Eve the game. So, while I'll come back for a while to play around in stations, I won't stay for very long.

Now, when DUST514 drops, then I may have a permanent home in New Eden.

Posted: Sep 27th 2010 7:20PM Aetrix said

That's not what I said at all. If you look closely, you'll notice that I used that fancy word 'mentality' up there. Apparently, you are a prime example.

Posted: Sep 27th 2010 7:21PM Aetrix said

P.S. Massively, your reply system stinks.

Posted: Sep 27th 2010 10:03PM Aetrix said

Exhibits A and B, ladies and gentlemen.

Posted: Sep 27th 2010 11:28PM (Unverified) said

First to make something clear:
Eve is not a MMO scheduled for release. Features of eve are scheduled for release, but CCP has made it abundantly clear that Eve is a game built for "the long run". They want it to last forever. They have plans that are on the order of decades. Not for a series of games, but a series of updates to one Universe, and it's associated forms of gameplay, aka DUST, incarna, possible mobile games, etc.
Incarna was scheduled to be released from the beginning. It wasn't named Incarna because it (at the time) would have been impossible (technically) to implement. The simple truth was that CCP realized that technology within realistic reach of their company wouldn't be able to do things like Incarna the way they wanted them done. So they put them off.

It's the same with orbiting planets (yes eventually they want to make planets move), An FPS component, (hence a seperate game tied into eve), eve ship stick controls (which have been mentioned as a dev desire forever, it's just not technically feasible at the moment), etc.

SO, keep in mind. Incarna will come out (at first) much like PI. A skeleton of the eventual behemoth. What IS planned is actual gameplay enhancements. For instance, minigames like poker, a strategy game invented by ccp, you can get "blueprints" in stations and build your own rooms, a corp strategy room where you can do things you can't do in space. Like watch your corpmates on an interactive map and relay broadcasts and commands to them.

At first it may be dry. But I'd venture to bet that after so long CCP won't leave it that way. They've been mulling this over for quite some time and are a company known to produce groundbreaking gameplay schemes. Contrary to what the CSM might have some believe, the Devs at CCP don't play farmville all day. (unless it's PI farmville ;-) The bug fixes everyone is complaining about were put off for a reason, and this is it. Ultimately it's all vaporware till they get the Duke out, but I have a feeling Incarna will have some groundbreaking elements eventually.

@breezer.
I hate WoW because it's an endless level grind where lvls 1-60 have little hope of doing anything resembling "end-game" features. Where the levels and the storyline are hopelessly boring and drab. I guess that's because it's not a story it's just a line of clicks. How many n of x can you possibly get/kill in one day before your "play" seems like endless clicking that has no real value other than to increment a number VERY SLOWLY? Where a 'cataclysm' or 'crusade' or 'wrath' is nothing more than 10 MORE boring levels that take the same amount of time to grind as it did to get to 60/70/80. But hey, if you buy it quick enough you might get to do a few raids with a few people that haven't all done them 10 times. But it's only a matter of weeks before you get walked through everything you do like an annoying child being pulled on a wagon.
Is that a good enough reason? I hope GW2 does everything they say it does. From what I've read it's not disappointing most critics. If so it may be the first rpg/story based MMO that I won't get incredible bored of clicking on. Dynamic Events ftw.

Posted: Sep 28th 2010 1:06AM Streamweaver said

I'm a periodic regular player of Eve. I go months of playing and months of not at a time over year.

I really don't see how Incarna can make much of a difference. For better or worse, Eve is a Gankfest and always will be. It's going to limit the player base to about what it is now. If they want to attract a broader player base they're going to have to make it more than a gankfest and I'm not sure how they could possibly do that.

Most people drop out of Eve quickly not only because of the time investment it takes to do anything meaningful, but because most of them realize every other aspect of the game is really about nothing but suckering you into being a target for someone else.

That isn't a slight on Eve, it does that very well, but the reality is that no matter how many pretty avatars there are in the game if the whole thing ultimatly feels futile to players they don't stay.

Posted: Sep 28th 2010 10:13AM Valdamar said

It won't get me to try it again - this seems like more of a cosmetic addition - they'd have to drastically change the gameplay to get me to enjoy it, and then it wouldn't be EVE anymore. So no.

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 8:56PM (Unverified) said

Not seeing why you think they'd have to drastically change the gameplay.

Posted: Oct 1st 2010 11:35AM Valdamar said

No great mystery - it's just because I don't enjoy the existing gameplay - I find it a bit dull and indirect with too much downtime/waiting. But I appreciate that other people like EVE the way it is, so I wouldn't want it to change and put those people out in the cold - I'm sure Jumpgate Evolution or Black Prophecy's gameplay will appeal to me more.

Posted: Sep 28th 2010 8:27PM xSFx said

As an active player of Eve for the forseeable future, I could not possibly care less about walking in stations. Everything in Eve is already so laggy, they'd better be putting all the WIS stuff on a whole separate cluster. I only want it to be out already so they can stop wasting their time on it, basically.

To those who think there's going to be Stores to open and NPCs to man them, etc: PI finally came out a few months back, and CCP only did the bare bones stuff with it. The flashy, shiny gee-whiz bang things they said they wanted to implement at the previous fan fest aren't even in there. Do you really expect CCP to get Incarna out the door with all the bells and whistles day 1?

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 8:55PM (Unverified) said

No, but it's step one. They've already said that with the coming Incursion expansion they're going to improve PI.

That's how they've done everything so far: release something, and gradually improve it over time by subsequent patches.
So, no, I don't expect Incarna to be amazing from day one, but I expect it to be something from day one--and for them to make it better later om/

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 3:23AM PrimeSynergy said

I'll probably make the jump next year depending on how invested I am in The Old Republic assuming it's been out when this update comes out.

If ToR comes out close to this then I'll probably be too excited and busy to worry about Eve, but if it comes out in the Spring or something and my interest starts to level out by summer, then I'll also start up Eve.

As stupid as this feature sounds to some, it's enough to catch my interest.

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 10:29AM Piasared said

Eve will pull in a few more customers and more important, bring old players back for a look. CCP said they are trying to implement a tactical display and more "fluff" for incana . There will be a reason to walk in the stations. I'm just hoping the dance move is more Techno Viking than, moonwalk.

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 8:51PM (Unverified) said

Technoviking for the win.

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 8:50PM (Unverified) said

Considering I already play, it won't "get" me to. But it is a huge chunk of the EVE world that has been missing, and I will be very glad once it comes out.

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 7:45AM (Unverified) said

Eve's main strength's will always be it's main weakness'.

Atleast it's a good sandbox, not like WoW where the main goal is to get something new and shiny you can use to get something new and shiny, or fight for the purpose of keeping score. In eve you have your ship, and you want to KILL people so they LOSE their ship, CONQUER worlds, take CONTROL over empires, RULE planets. Yes, this takes time.

Alot of people don't like eve because of the lack of something to look forward to, sure your advanced weapon upgrades V will be done in only 1day now, but it doesn't show a whole lot, you will do the same thing you have done before. Whereas in a game like WoW, you get your achievements and items you get some epic stuff that you have wanted for a year, so much more visual.

I started eve a little while ago, but to be quite frank, i'm tired of MMO's in general, i don't know whether or not i want to keep playing, but it's definitely the best MMO.

People complain about things take time in eve, things take time in any MMO, you will spend the same amount of time playing eve then any other MMO, just because you like to play and you play with the time you have. Except in eve you can go to be / go to the store, and know that your skill's are training, and you don't "feel bad" about doing stuff with friends.

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 2:46PM (Unverified) said

If implemented well and offers a reason to leave the pod (rather than causing more hassel to just sell/buy stuff etc) then it might encourage some trial members to subscribe or for more people to trial the game.

Though as I already play Eve regularly I would be more interested to see what effects it has on my war targets, station camps are less of a threat if they're all inside the station having a party.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 12:26PM Jenks said

Waiting on Dust 514, I've done the free trial and I just can't invest my leisure time to turbotax in space.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 12:33PM (Unverified) said

A lot of people complain that EVE is too complicated, but give me EVE anyday over complete bubble gum, cartoon rubbish like Star Trek Online... (a disrespect to the brand). Complexity is cool, that people would invest so much time into a sim to make it that ultra realistic is somethng to be admired. EVE is in a class of its own! And like others have said, it has some kind of attraction that keeps you wanting to follow developments/news about the game even though you don't actually play it! That said, my problem is time and cost (moreso time). As a player I simply don't have the time to sink into EVE, trying to become as skilled as those that dedicate their entire lives to the game, but that doesn't mean as an occasional player I wouldn't want to enter the world of EVE and explore. I think Incarna may provide people like me the opportunity to get into the game for a few minutes without being constantly shot to pieces by a bunch of nerdy EVEaholics! Lookin forward to it!

EVE Evolved: What does Thera mean for EVE?

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 6:00PM