Posted: Sep 26th 2010 8:13AM (Unverified) said

I'm definitely a long range type, so bow/sniper rifle/whatever. I love killing my opponents before they even reach me

I appreciate a good axe, too, when I feel barbarian enough

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 9:54PM (Unverified) said

Nothing but the feathers I'm wearing ;-)

A boomkin with Starfall and Hurricane, Death from above.

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 8:30AM (Unverified) said

Nothing can ever top my Staff of the Four. The camping.... the massive effort.... the luc..... the 52 Phinny kills....

Easymode MMoRPGs that exist now have nothing that takes anywhere the effort.

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 8:21AM (Unverified) said

I usually go with a ranged class as a first choice.

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 8:22AM (Unverified) said

I love dual swords or a big shield :D

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 8:27AM Eamil said

I personally prefer swords. Which gets annoying when a lot of games (including WoW) seem to have tons and tons of axes and not very many swords, at least of the two-handed variety.

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 8:28AM pixledriven said

Spear!

Spears really are awesome, and they were the primary weapon of soldiers and armies until the advent of the gun in Europe.

Unfortunately most video games give the spear no love AT ALL. Or like Asheron's Call did with many weapons - included them, but they sucked to actually use. So I usually end up slinging a sword or spells.

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 10:28AM alinos said

i think the issue with spears is they don't play logically

you either somehow have magical unlimted spear throwing ability's (guild wars)

or their a close quarters weapon that is sorta meant to be a jab and kill weapon which in a game where you can be hit with a sword 20 times before you die doesn't make a lot of sense

a spear works as a in you go and kill weapon, or trying to stay out of reach of your opponent's sword/hammer whatnot

which kinda makes them illogical as a weapon with long term combat since once someone was to get into range it kinda make's the long spear hard to wield effectively

so i think it's more the spear mechanic's just not rolling well with the rest of the game that make's it difficult(well that and the fact that most of it's combat animation's would be poking)

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 8:30AM (Unverified) said

A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he's carrying a big axe.

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 8:47AM Spyder2k5 said

• 1 heart
Actually Dwarves prefer maces, two handed ones, and guns. Just saying...

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 6:16PM Ace Noble said

Long before Rioch started playing World of Warcraft, Dwarfs were modeled after Gimli, from the book Lord of The Rings (Yes Rioch, LOTR was originially a book). Back in those days, badass dwarfs were most often threatening to give enemies a taste of their axe.

Gun and mortar wielding dwarfs were inspired by the Warcraft RTS game. I have to admit that they are incredibly fun.

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 8:44AM Dandmcd said

I like a great big 2 handed battleaxe I can tear everything up around me with a few sweeping attacks. Plus, I always think they look the coolest, Warhammer and WoW both have some incredible looking axes.

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 8:49AM Loopy said

For 2-handers, i prefer a giant mace/hammer, hopefully something glowy and massive looking.
On the other hand, if i'm playing a tank, i prefer a massive towering shield, and a nice looking 1h sword.
I play mostly melee classes. If i do decide to play a caster, i always go for the ones weilding long staves, as opposed to the magical daggers/trinkets.

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 8:51AM Dumac said

One handed swords, or dual wielded daggers mostly, followed by one handed maces and axes, when im not playing a caster class. When it comes to ranged weapons like bows and crossbows, the sound effects of pulling on the string and arrow flying off is critical to my enjoyment. Wow has nice sound effects.

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 8:51AM Joshua Przygocki said

A staff that I never actually use to hit things.

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 8:58AM (Unverified) said

Scythes, but almost no MMO's have them. Aside from that extendable melee weapons are pretty sweet in AION.

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 11:58AM (Unverified) said

Scythe is the preferred weapon of the Dark Knight in Final Fantasy XI and they are pretty good with it too :)

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 5:44PM Clinton O said

i love scythes too, but like you said they are far in between

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 9:13AM lizardbones said

Ranged Weapons > Ranged Magic > Any Melee

Melee combat just doesn't feel like melee combat should in pretty much all the games I've played. It's possible I'm just bad at it, but there's nothing there that makes me want to improve.

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 9:33AM Scuffles said

My favorite weapon type has to be (drum roll)(suspense building silence)

Minions!

Yeah I'm a pet class sorta player .... the less I have to lift a finger in battle the happier I am. I'm also perfectly happy keeping my pets buffed/healed/on task and keeping the enemy debuffed/DOT'd/immobilize. So the micromanagement aspect doesn't bother me.

Betawatch: November 22 - 28, 2014