Posted: Sep 26th 2010 7:52PM Graill440 said

• 1 heart
On the other tangent, you dont need isk, nor time, nor a group, though you live longer in a group. I was doing solo pshych ops on day one after i was podded ten minutes into the game, its still pvp, and quite fun.

I remember my very first pvp encounter In EVE, many, many years ago. A fresh minny right out of the character creation screen, i took my shiny new newb ship to the first gate and warped. Still in awe at the visuals back then as they were pretty good for the time i wondered why my shield disapeered....and most of my hull, the second shot i was floating in a pod, still wondering...........nothing on the radar, and while in the drifting pod the third shot and the rez.

It was only after i scrolled back in local i saw whom had shot me from way off radar with rails. No biggee, then i get an email thanking me for the kill, naturally i couldnt stand that type of gloating so i looked up the toons name and pic, a female avatar, i cant remember the name but she had short black hair and a spiked dog collar.

After the email i made a character, the exact one i had printed out of my killer, down to the dog collar and torso position to get the right clipping and angle and lighting, as for the name i typed it in exactly and crossing my fingers, tapped the spacebar and hit enter, it took.

I tried to get into my killers corps by saying i had accidently left but they never bit and when i logged in the next day my double was a number name and the CCP ticket stated someone else had the name first. The entire three days was a bit more complicated than this short explanation and i did get some satisfaction because they did boot the other player from their corp until i got turned into a number name and he/she was cleared.

After that it was pve grinding till i was able to get a spec ship and stealth around and do the same thing to gate campers, i quit after they removed the aoe damage (and friendly fire aoe damage) from torps/missiles, it just wasnt fun anymore after that.

Posted: Sep 27th 2010 9:13PM (Unverified) said

For reference, the EvE EULA says:

2 B. Passwords and names
No player may use the character name of another player to impersonate or falsely represent his or her identity.

It's to avoid situations where someone creates a caracter named e.g. "Chrlbba" (not Chribba) and scams or harrasses people, damaging the player's reputation. If you want to attack someone, you are free to do it with any other identity than his own.

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 8:01PM cic said

Thanks for the article ;)

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 8:32PM foofad said

Join Red vs Blue if you want cheap fun PVP.

The short of it is that they are two corps in Empire, Red Federation and Blue Republic, who are permanently at war with each other. Red HQ is in Halle, blue in Jurlesel - two jumps away from each other, and linked via several paths. We get fleets of anywhere from a handful to twenty or more going and duke it out every day. Frigates are the most commonly used ships, a few destroyers, some cruisers and battlecruisers. We occasionally get battleships involved but that's rare. Whenever a third party declares war on one or both, third party war targets take priority - and occasionally "purple" fleets of both corps are formed to take out third party targets.

All in all it's great fun, the members are super helpful, and it's quite possibly the best and most painless way to get into PvP in EVE.

P.s., you forgot to mention Merlins as a worthy Caldari combat frigate. Merlins can pack an 8-10k EHP passive tank pretty easily and still maintain reasonably good DPS.

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 8:48PM Aetrix said

While I don't recommend going out and begging strangers for money, I agree that if you make some friends they will usually be happy to give you a donation to help you get off the ground. I remember starting out, a million ISK seemed like a huge amount of money. Now I can go blow up an NPC and make that amount in about 30 seconds.

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 10:32PM GaaaaaH said

Doing the starting missions and Sisters Epic Arc can get you up to 30 mil fairly quickly now

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 11:27PM Orvidos said

Thank you for this. I tell people this constantly when EVE comes up with the tag of "Boring spaceship spreadsheets" It usually turns out they got dragged into industrialism and their only experience is with that side of the game.

You probably won't be incredibly successful doing this yourself, but it's worth a go. EVE remains my favorite PvP experience in the MMO space.

Posted: Sep 27th 2010 12:38AM DLemke said

Cannon fodder. Yeah, fights aren't 'fair' , in Eve, as in arranged between groups of the same size and level, so the more cannon fodder, up to the lag barrier for group size, is good. If you're new, and you like being cannon fodder, wheeee! You can do something. That's the bottom line for new players.

Posted: Sep 27th 2010 1:41AM eNTi said

• Half a heart
^ this.

the pros (player's who play this game for years and got it's worth in skill points) constantly tell me that you can be "viable" in pvp. that's exactly why this game sucks. you can spend all the time and effort you ever want in eve. until you reach a certain million skill points you'll always just be "viable".

i've been in skirmishes with my former corp mates... you sit there in lowsec and wait for something to kill that probably won't kill or easily outrun you. if you want instant, fast paced and player skill (in contrast to skill points) oriented pvp. DON'T PLAY SPREADSHEET ONLINE.

Posted: Sep 27th 2010 2:33AM (Unverified) said

@nt:

Dude... They were being nice to you, you'll never be more than viable.

Since you don't recognice descision making and sense of tactics as 'player skills', you'll never be more than one of those ants sitting in a 100 man fleet, whos only role is to know the alphabet and press F1-F8 when told to (now with grouped guns it's only one key).

To see 1 guy or a small group outsmart bigger numbers, get some kills and then get away, is just beautiful - and requires loads of player skills.

SP does matter, but it does not matter that much.

Posted: Sep 27th 2010 6:55AM anduz said

In small gang pvp you'll never be cannon fodder unless your FC is useless. If your group makes the right decisions and dosn't end up in any traps you can be extremely successful even in a t1 fitted rifter if you know how to use it. I mean, who wouldn't welcome a tackler or possibly even scout into their fleet with open arms?

I'd recommend getting good at using the directional scanner though, even a pilot with low skillpoints who knows how to scan down enemies and catch them before they escape is a prize to any corp; and that is actually a skill loads of "veterans" lack.

Posted: Sep 27th 2010 1:37AM HereticalPenguin said

I definitely appreciate this article, as the only reason i've stayed away from EVE was the notion that you had to play for almost a year in order to truly get involved in the PvP (I was told by a long-time EVE player and corp CEO).

Posted: Sep 27th 2010 1:41AM eNTi said

• Half a heart
at least they were honest.

Posted: Sep 27th 2010 1:46AM (Unverified) said

I never wanted to make a habit of ragging on EvE. It is what it is and noone can deny it's grandeur on a number of levels. However, the reason I often find myself responding to post and articles like the one above, is that they are in effect misleading.

As much as I appreciate EvE's need to attract new blood, there is a reason EvE articles very often are of the "You don't need to spend lots of time before you can PvP in EvE" type, and that is because the basis upon which they are written is that the perception of most players is contrary to the above statement. And it's not because they are stupid.

The reality of EvE is that the actual gameplay just isn't very fun.
It's MORE fun for the player with 2 accounts and a combination of 6-9 months of semi-afk mining and skilling under his belt because it allows him to seek out some types of gameplay with some actual dynamics in them, but mostly it's all just quite boring.
The concept of EvE is great, but 98% of time spent ingame mostly consists of logistics, waiting and more logistics until you finally get in a position where you can experience first hand the "excitement" of the anti climax that is EvE combat.

These articles also never talk about what you got to do and what kind of players you gotta endure community wise, in order to get those freebies that you so covet and that allow you to sit at a gate for 3 hours waiting for someone to pass through so that you get to web or blind them for the benefit of the killstats of the gloryhounds.

Posted: Sep 27th 2010 3:49AM GaaaaaH said

By this claim, how/why do people join the game then?

Posted: Sep 27th 2010 7:04AM anduz said

The only dual accounting, if any, you'll be doing in pvp is with a cov-ops to scout for your main. Even that doesn't really work in gangs because every other gang out there will have real scouts who're 100% focused.

Living in great wildlands with an alliance that usually has 2-5 small gangs going in my prime time I can frankly log on and engage faster than I'd be able to join a battleground in world of warcraft.

The real learning curve in eve-online is choosing who you want to play with. I'll agree that eve is pretty boring if you solo around in empire (sorry mission runners) but nobody forces you to do that.

Posted: Sep 27th 2010 10:44AM Psychotic Storm said

its part of the game and part of EVE's "Sandbox" so it should be fun for those that choose to embrace it.

Posted: Sep 27th 2010 6:22AM Psychotic Storm said

• 1 heart
I would say its not about skills and skill points but more about in game experience and ingame politics that take most to learn in EVE and that is the real barrier.

we didn't have many EVE related threads ago were one was boasting a pirate used his wealth and influence to chase a new player from EVE for a minor disagreement, this is the real gap and the real steep cliff you have to climb.

I personally find every MMO that you need to join a guild to play bad, if it needs to happen from the tutorial/ immediately after it even worse,

Posted: Sep 27th 2010 9:23AM Letrange said

My name is Letrange, I was an alliance leader, I endorse this message. I will state that most players coming from other non-pvp centric mmos are like Pavlog's dog in that they salivate over gear and do not realize that eve's ships are purpose centric. It's not bringing the best gear that wins fights (although in an otherwise even fight that helps - but even fight in eve? both sides made a mistake or it was pure chance), it's bringing the right gear for the right job that does it. Certain jobs in PvP use cheap ships accessible to newbies. Use these until you acquire the skills (useful) and knowledge (critical) to fly more expensive ships.

Posted: Sep 27th 2010 9:39AM Aganazer said

Ever since the release of Eve I read comments exactly like those here. "Eve is boring" "Eve is a spreadsheet" "You need to play for years to have fun" "You'll never catch up with the old players" "You can lose everything in minutes"

The whole time I actually believed it and never played. The whole time I would jump from theme park game to theme park gaming wondering why they are so dumbed down and meaningless. That was probably the stupidest thing I ever did.

It wasn't until 3 months ago that I tried Eve and realized just how full of shit most people are. You can become competent in nearly any single part of the game in less than a month. PvP has been 100% consensual for me. I've never lost any ship that I didn't buy for the purposes of losing. I've also had a hell of a lot more fun than I ever did in any of the theme park games I've been playing for the last 10 years. Even the learning curve was (almost disappointingly) easy.

Make My MMO: December 21 - 27, 2014