Posted: Sep 26th 2010 11:15AM (Unverified) said

Well I have complained on here about the amount of armor we are seeing in the non NPC characters in these shots. The main pic for this article actually has one set of armor that I would consider for my character. I now understand why we are seeing so much armor in these shots. The loot system. When the devs talk about this system, they always use the term; armor for the drops. I find this funny, in light of the trailer that explains who all these new heroes come to be. Luthor seems to be releasing a Meta gene type devise. The game reality seems to be that he has imbued creative people on how to make high tech armor! They should just re brand this game right now and call it Boba Fett Online!

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 1:29PM (Unverified) said

Well, they've already shown off spandex and hand to hand combat. So why would you want to keep seeing those? A punch is a punch. Spandex is just skin with a different color. If you go to DCUniverseonline.com, you can see pictures of both.

But anyways, Jens Anderson answered this criticism on a fansite thread.(DCUOsource.com) Basically its a marketing decision. They want to show off the variety of armor and weapons you can customize your character with. I will point out that they are competing with two games that offer a lot of customization so that's a point they need to hit. He also stated that Armor and Weapons make better photos.

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 9:38PM blitzkrieg said

I have yet to see a player-created character with a cape. :/ Not cool. DC. Not cool.

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 11:44AM (Unverified) said

I kind of agree with Arbor Hawk. What IS with all the shots of people wearing gladiator style helmets? They had Jim Lee doing art direction and all I've seen are Metroid rip offs. Where's Nightwing style armor? Where's Batman, Superman, Flash, Lantern Corps and hell, Robin styles?

The lack of information available from marketing is going to result in a trickle of customers rather than the usual opening flood. Makes me skeptical of the quality of the product and wonder if SOE is low balling the server budget.

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 3:50PM (Unverified) said

"in a trickle of customers rather than the usual opening flood."

DCUO will have a flood of players. Floods of useless changing pre release information is something for past MMO types. More mainstream players won't care about such things.

The only real question is will DCUO put COH or CO in the grave or possibly both.

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 3:53PM (Unverified) said

If your a business interested in making money, last time I checked that's SOE, then you want a lot of boxes to be sold and you also want scarcity in stores.

" Floods of useless changing pre release information is something for past MMO types."

Please revise that into a complete thought.

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 12:59PM (Unverified) said

The focus on armor and weapons in a superhero game is very annoying. This really isn't my idea of a superhero game. I'm a big fan of DC Comics, but based on what I know of the gameplay so far I'll be sticking with City of Heroes.

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 1:24PM Sam not Spam said

My only thing is that while everything looks nice, it makes me think the minimum specs for this game on the PC will be well above what most of my friends can handle on their computers. And no, they probably won't upgrade or buy a PS3 for the game - bills, mortgage and other things take priority (including other entertainment).

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 1:28PM madbassman39 said

I agree, I don't personally like all the emphasis on armor in this game, but I play (and enjoy) CO and I would say about 80 to 90 percent of the heroes in that game all wear armor. I think armor is the new spandex, and the players are choosing to have armor. Hopefully I can make a spandex wearing hero (very similar to Nightwing) with out using any armor, and I'll be very happy. Sadly my desktop is dead, and my laptop can't run the game so I'll be playing with the 30 people who are going to play on the PS3

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 1:48PM (Unverified) said

The thing is, the armor in DCUO isn't just a matter of aesthetics. You need the armor pieces for damage protection. You can decide whether to show the armor pieces or not, so you can go for a spandex look, but you still have to worry about finding and equipping armor.

The same with weapons. The devs count brawling and martial arts as "weapon" types, but players need weapon combos to charge up their powers.

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 2:35PM Cirocco said

Personally, they should have went with an enormous assortment of costume pieces that would be available at the start of the game, and then lace the game with additional special costume drops strewn all over. These pics thus far depicting armor-like wear doesn't inspire me to create the character that I want.

It feels too much like a typical hack-n-slash fantasy game, where a parade of costume pieces come from drops...not sure if that's the model to mold a superhero game.

I'm curious about what Gazillion Entertainment's design approach will be for Marvel Universe Online. I'm betting that they are looking at DCUO and shaking their heads. At least Super Hero Squad Online (for the tweener set) shows that Gazillion Entertainment has the heart and mind to create a superhero game; so its more mature sibling Marvel Universe Online should be worth a look.

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 3:24PM XOR said

man, I could care less about all this criticism - - it's all about options. There are, or would likely be, options to toggle shiny shinies appearances on/off.

The only thing that matters to me is if the gameplay is good. CoH graphics & gameplay are now dated. And CO is a lame duck.

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 3:47PM (Unverified) said

They have shown plenty of spandex shots, it is good to show armor too.

Even the armor you wear doesn't have to show up on your character.

This game looks great!

Posted: Sep 26th 2010 4:45PM Dufrane said

The emphasis on armor doesn't bug so much if we're able to hide it. Although, I've been pretty concerned about how gaudy and tacky so many of the player created heroes and villains look so far. Look at heroes like batman and superman, they're costumes are very simple but still iconic. They don't have all kinds of stuff sticking out of every part of their uniform. As long as what I've been seeing reflects player's bad taste in costumes and not a limited amount of options for character design I'm for it.

Posted: Sep 27th 2010 6:17PM wjowski said

If I wanted to wear pimp-clown armor, I'd go back to WoW. If DCUO won't let me control what my hero looks like then it has already failed as a superhero game.