Posted: Sep 24th 2010 1:06PM ScottishViking said

I've also run the starter areas dozens of times, and I found the revamp to be MUCH more engaging than before. They've turned it into a more coherent story, and the tutorial advice is much more directed and helpful. Also: I agree about the freebie XP and deed accelerators. FTW!

Posted: Sep 24th 2010 1:30PM swarmofcats said

So right when I decided what to spend my first 300 points on, they went and put lone lands quest pack on sale. I guess I should buy this if I ever plan on playing past level 20, right? Is that a smart first purchase?

So far I have 3 characters in the low teens.

Posted: Sep 24th 2010 1:46PM Djinn said

As a long-time player, you should definitely buy Lone Lands. Its the next area for high-teens / low 20s characters.

Posted: Sep 24th 2010 2:54PM aurickle said

Lone Lands also gives you more free TP than North Downs, even though both zones become available at the same level and North Downs includes content that will take you farther into your 30's than Lone Lands.

So LL is a great investment for earning more points with which to buy future content.

Posted: Sep 25th 2010 5:28AM swarmofcats said

K you sold me. Figured might as well grab it while it's discounted and keep an eye out for specials on the other stuff I've been wanting.

Can't believe how this game has sucked me in. I had no intention of spending anything or playing for more than a day or two here and there but damn, it's really got me wrapped up good.

Posted: Sep 24th 2010 1:33PM Stormwaltz said

As a perpetual light armor wearer, I was disappointed to discover that it's no longer possible to get a pair of newbie boots.

They used to be a quest reward, and when Bree was revamped they put them on the light armor vendors in Archet in Combe. Now they're completely gone.

I don't want to wear slippers until level 25. :(

Posted: Sep 24th 2010 5:43PM Nepentheia said

Turbine introduced a series of cosmetic armour boots, available at the Cosmetic Vendor in Bree (right near the Town Hall). Those boots might be the solution you're looking for. :-)

Posted: Sep 24th 2010 1:44PM eiberri said

How do I access the Siege of Mirkwood content? I can't find any place to actually purchase the expansion.

Posted: Sep 24th 2010 2:57PM aurickle said

Because Siege of Mirkwood is level 60-65 content and you can't get there without Mines of Moria (level 50-60 content, to say nothing of being the connecting zone) you must purchase MoM before SoM will appear in the store for you.

The store automatically filters out items that you can't use.

Posted: Sep 24th 2010 3:02PM eiberri said

Awesome, thank you! :)

Posted: Sep 24th 2010 2:16PM BGExorcist said

Any news on the european release? And any massively guild there? :))

Posted: Sep 24th 2010 3:40PM deluxe2000 said

"For less than 200 TP, you can go on to buy a mount with either additional TP or in-game currency (I used my temporary gift mount to ride up to the horse farm and purchase one of those now-discounted mounts)."

You CANNOT buy a mount with in-game currency until level 20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its the most confusing point in the game and needs to be addressed in game. I've asked in OOC/Advice and even went to the horse farm. I repeat - YOU CANNOT BUY A MOUNT WITH IN-GAME CURRENCY UNTIL LEVEL 20!!!

Posted: Sep 24th 2010 4:04PM (Unverified) said

Um, yes you can. I purchased my riding skill, then went up to the horse farm and bought my mount with in-game cash. Now, this may be different for F2P players vs. VIP (I'm the latter), but I've confirmed that at least VIPs can do this right away.

Posted: Sep 24th 2010 8:07PM deluxe2000 said

Well F me. I got a mixture of opposing answers in chat, and had gone to apparently the wrong vendor NpC at the farm (he had horses but you needed a scroll of some sort to trade for then). So after reading your response I went back and sure enough there is a 200 silver horse for sale to my level 16 capt. How fast is that horse? I bought a 7-day use horse that is 166% speed on the lotro store and see there is also a 500 silver horse available (well is red to me so can't use yet). It's a confusing issue still...

Posted: Sep 25th 2010 1:38AM aurickle said

I'm not sure about speed numbers, but the 500s horse does have better health and is faster than the 200s one.

The reason you can't buy the 500s one yet is that it requires level 20.

That other vendor you'd been to is for you to trade one horse in for another. That's why you need the certificate of mount ownership. It's mostly a holdover from the bad old days when your mount took up an inventory slot and so you could only have one of them. Now the permanent ones are skills and you can have as many as you want/can afford.

Posted: Sep 24th 2010 6:24PM Stormwaltz said

Ahhh *cosmetic*!

Thanks, Nepentheia. I don't think I'd have found those on my own. :)

Posted: Sep 24th 2010 6:24PM Stormwaltz said

This was supposed to be a reply up top. >.

Posted: Sep 24th 2010 8:56PM DiscoJer said

I didn't like how they basically wrote Amdir out of the story in place of Strider (which doesn't even make any sense, if he's there in Archet, surely he would kick the Blackwold's asses, but the way it was, Amdir, the local ranger couldn't, because he was hurt)

But the other changes are good. I never understood the mounts thing - why make people wait until 35 to get a mount? Trying to get through the North Downs without a mount is painful. Even the Lonelands is pretty bad.

That said, they really needed to do a better job of explaining the mount system. As the replies to this have shown, people are confused. And one of the most common questions in new areas (the most common) is "How do I buy a horse?". Every 5 minutes.