Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 11:28AM kasapina said

I'll try it out, there definitely is a need for more pirate MMOs, especially ones with good combat.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 1:01PM (Unverified) said

I will be checking it out. I loved Uncharted waters on the console. I have have to wonder about the mmo environment though.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 12:59PM (Unverified) said

In my opinion, I wouldn't call this a pirate game. The focus in UWO is not battle, there is much more variety in this game than just fighting. This is why I like this game better than the others. I played in CBT and am dying for this to go to OBT.
This is not a typical 'kill mobs to level' MMO, it's very different.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 2:10PM kasapina said

I'm not looking for a "kill 10 sea rats" game, I'm looking for a game where the sea fighting is more interesting than the usual click to hit dynamic (something like Sid Meyer's Pirates). How is the combat in this game?

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 2:13PM pcgneurotic said

Sounds really good. Could we go so far as to say 'Elite/Eve at sea?'

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 2:21PM Beau Hindman said

From what I can tell in the time I spent in beta, combat is not a driving factor. While I didn't play for very long, it did actually remind me a bit of EVE with it's exploration and options for play.

Graphically, it's charming but basic. The seas look better, and the weather is cool -- you can get stuck in a storm.

Beau

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 2:30PM Beau Hindman said

Oh sorry Kas...forgot to add that combat is similar to EVE and PotBS...meaning that you click your target and slowly shoot em to death. There's more to it than that, you can repair and melee fight and all that..but it feels good. It's not cheesy, and I imagine that the larger battles are quite a sight.

Beau

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 2:45PM pcgneurotic said

I'm sold then. Another week to get a foothold in Zentia, then it's off to sea! (and then hopefully someone will pay me so I can return to Norrath after that :D)

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 4:21PM (Unverified) said

Hey Beau! Glad to hear you will be back for OBT! I'll probably be based out of Amsterdam in OBT, so I may miss seeing you in the early parts of the game (it was pure luck runnnping into you in Venice last time), but I will be sure to fire a cheerful shot o'er the bow should I pass you at sea ^_^ Just as a friendly "Heya!"

To DashnXb, I think this game is going to be especially beloved of any fans of the old Uncharted Waters: New Horizons game. Like you, I had doubts about how well this beloved classic could transfer as an "MMO", and I was amazed at how well they succeeded at capuring the "heart and soul" of New Horizons in an MMO setting. Everyone I have met there who was a big fan of New Horizons, adores this game!

WRUP: Lucky Korea