Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 12:18PM Dandmcd said

What level did you get your character up to? After about level 5 the only thing left to do was guildleves, and all the great cinematic story content was gone, and all was left was a grinder of a game with frustrating combat. Sure the first hour half hour was memorable with the cutscenes and cutsey characters, but then I started getting frustrated with the terrible UI, lack of any tutorial or direction, clunky combat, software mouse from hell, lack of content, linear walled off world, and the fact the game graphics while decent were very unoptimized, because it even made my super rig chug along. I did find the animations and enemy designs very nice, and the sound quality great, but my experience was ruined by many game faults.

You should really be more objective and critical of the issues, you have thousands of readers looking for opinion and reviews everyday basing their decisions off of what they read, and they need to know the faults of the game, not have them brushed to the side as a non-issue or something that "could" be fixed at launch, which you don't know of course.. I know it probably isn't true, but I get the feeling this piece was designed to help sell more box copies after the game just got trashed on Massively week in and week out by the players, including in today's Daily Grind.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 1:28PM ScottishViking said

Sorry Dan, that was meant for a reply that was subsequently deleted...don't know how it ended up on yours.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 1:14PM kunic said

• 1 heart
It would seem that you haven't played the actual game and are basing your assumptions off of the beta. Allow me to correct you.

"After about level 5 the only thing left to do was guildleves, and all the great cinematic story content was gone..."

Wrong, even for the beta. The beta had story-content at levels 1, 10, and 20. You had to at least meet the requirements to do them (physical level, not class rank). However, after those three parts were done, there was nothing else.

Now, SE officially made note of the fact that Beta had most of the story content removed. It left some in (to act as tutorials), but most of it was removed. So, you are wrong about the only thing being left in guildleves, as there will be a lot of story-driven quests.

"started getting frustrated with the terrible UI, lack of any tutorial or direction, clunky combat, software mouse from hell, lack of content, linear walled off world, and the fact the game graphics while decent were very unoptimized, because it even made my super rig chug along."

Terrible UI - SE stated this is an issue as well and that the official release will have an improved UI that will keep getting improved until the fans like it.

Lack of Tutorial - Tutorial guildleves?

Combat - The combat is perfectly fine for me. I love the pace of it and love the fact that no auto-attack feature was enabled (usual complaint by WoW people).

Software Mouse - Did you read the patch notes for official release? Hardware mouse was enabled.

Linear World - Sorry you can't spam "space" and jump all over the place, but the world is anything but linear. Go explore a bit.

Graphics - I agree they could be better optimized. My bet is that they will be within the next year.

"You should really be more objective and critical of the issues..."

And maybe you should actually not base how the official game is going to be off of the beta. Just because 99% of the games out there treat a beta like a demo doesn't mean SE is going to do that.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 3:07PM Seraphina Brennan said

ScottishViking: Fixed the misplaced comment for ya.

~Sera

Posted: Sep 28th 2010 9:51PM Rakah said

You forgot to mention the fact that if you alt tab whilst in full screen the game crashes to the desktop or that there isn't a whole lot to help point you in the right direction for local guildleves (still haven't carloisa or w/e her name is for one of the alchemist quests in ul'duh)

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 12:21PM Syesta said

Hardware mouse is available.
Go into the config and check it.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 2:12PM Seraphina Brennan said

Hardware mouse is now default. Just got out of the retail version and the mouse works much better.

~Sera

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 1:02PM (Unverified) said

I'm sorry but this must be the biggest load of crap ever written.
A hater I'm not, nor a fan, but this:

"Adoration. Pure, unadulterated adoration. I was awestruck at the game I was playing, and every subsequent moment of play only reinforced that initial rush. For every choice that was a misstep, there were another half-dozen decisions that were just plain brilliant."

Goes way to far.

Guess its time to find another mmo new reporting site, its been fun massively.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 1:13PM chum said

Some people will adore it, some people will hate it. The writer of this OPINION piece happens to adore it. Get over it.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 1:34PM Lobotomist said

Massively has been a hype machine for some time now. Basically it will hype any game close to release and around release time. Payed ? I am not sure. But it awfully sounds like it.

Anyway. This site is still good for news. Opinions , thats something you should skip here.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 3:10PM ChaosInc said

Just who the hell do you guys think you are to tell someone their opinion is wrong? What entitles you to think an INDIVIDUAL is not allowed to like something you don't? Lots of high horses I see here.

I'm not defending nor supporting the game in this post, so save your "Listen to the fanboy go!" reply. I'm just purely disgusted with seeing people having some sort of superiority complex so large that they presume that if someone doesn't enjoy the same things they do they're "losers".

Put your money where your mouth is. You claim you'll never return: then don't and good riddance. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I won't miss the self-absorbed elitists that seem to think everyone else is wrong if they don't agree with them.

You know what's truly pathetic? All you naysayers who have been hating on the game since beta and claim they will never, ever play STILL CHECK OUT EVERY PIECE OF NEWS THAT COMES OUT. Why such interest in something you hate?

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 5:14PM gamebynight said

Though Massively also does news, the article is clearly titled "First Impressions." When someone shares their impression, they're sharing their opinion. It's not supposed to be objective. If you're only now discovering that Massively is part news site, part blog, you must not have been around for long.

I support the author. The game isn't perfect but, you know what, it doesn't have to be for me to like it. The game *is* much better than open beta. I just logged off, I can attest to that. But, the thing is, it's not a totally different game. It's getting better at being the next Final Fantasy Online, not the next post-WoW generic MMO. That doesn't sit well with a lot of people. But, you know what, you don't hear the people enjoying the game being so rude.

We respect your opinion. Kindly respect ours.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 12:29PM Prisemy said

The title "First Impressions" made me think this article was going to cover today's early official launch. This is more a last impressions of open beta.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 12:32PM Greyjoy said

Just wanted to add everyone is entitled to their opinion though....

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 12:36PM twittles said

i have two questions. did you finish the starter story? and did you find any others after that? also you said you liked melee so that is what you played, if you had tried either of the two caster/mage classes you would have found that combat for them isnt as easy and makes the controls seem even more unintuitive. i played every class and tried my hand at all of the gathering skills and most of the crafting ones. i spent 2 days getting the game downloaded 8gigs plus 2 more it would seem ( it was a 10 gig deletion) and after a week of on and off playing i deleted it.
the things it has going for it is the graphics. they are on par with any AAA single player game out there and with relatively little lag , at least for me( i was running a minimum requirement rig), and the fact that the gathering skills are mini games not just click and wait.(although they are basicly the same program with different ui's)
the big turn off for me was the item degradation vs advancement. it made me feel very confined. i would have said lack of content but this was a beta not a free-for-all.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 12:37PM Monkey D Luffy said

• Half a heart
It's because WoW is too good and other games just can't compare, especially games that are so outdated that they feel like a crappy version of a 2002 MMO made for the PS2 (FFXIV).

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 2:36PM wcdregon said

Im a Final Fantasy fanboy and after playing the open beta i've decided to wait. I had a great experience in the beta and I realized that to fully enjoy the game they'll need to get the controls at least to the FFXI level of responsiveness. I played the beta with a controller and I can't quite put my finger on what turned me off, but the game just seems so close to FFXI after a 3 or 4 year development cycle. This game is only going to be awesome for those who enjoyed FFXI and although thats great because I enjoyed FFXI its also sad that they designed a game that not many new players will be drawn to. The population levels of FFXI already hit the point where server merges were required so why not attempt to attract new blood. This game is like an ugly pet or an ugly baby, not everyone is gonna oooh and ahhh only a parent could love a game like this.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 10:19PM (Unverified) said

"Wait a month or two" is about the smartest thing anyone can do for any new MMO.

Let other people pay to finish the beta testing.

Posted: Sep 23rd 2010 10:03AM Arann said

"This game is only going to be awesome for those who enjoyed FFXI and although thats great because I enjoyed FFXI its also sad that they designed a game that not many new players will be drawn to."

^THIS!

I'm in love with the idea of FF XIV, but the feel of XIV is so very similar to XI that the same issues that turned me and a number of my gamer friends away from XI unfortunately persist here. While I understand the author's desire to stay away from the control scheme debate, I'll say that I believe that Square Enix missed a HUGE opportunity by not creating a more intuitive control interface for XIV.

Had they done so, I think far more people would be interested in FF XIV. It's a beautiful game, and with a bit more polish (and maybe a major patch or two), I believe it will be very solid--unfortunately, the control scheme will continue to serve as a major barrier for those PC gamers new to the series who want to use PC devices to control their PC games.

As the author said, the interface is certainly learnable--but even then, it's still rather clunky to play with. Controlling your character shouldn't be a game in and of itself! :P

And on a related note, HAS the hardware mouse been implemented in the release product?

Posted: Sep 23rd 2010 10:15AM Arann said

@Arann

Yeah, totally just noticed all the comments answering my own question. That one feature alone will help immensely with the mouse side of things--still wish it was a standard mouselook scheme as opposed to a a joystick-esque camera movement, though!

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM