Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 11:37AM VagabondX said

What you probably didn't see yet is that as you level, both crafting and diplomacy offers even more.

Crafting will have more action points after a certain level (20, I guess) but also you will need to do more to construct your stuff. Also, adding enchanting elements will be really complex after a few levels.

Diplomacy will increase the card slots to 8. That gives you a lot of flexibility. Also, there are cards which can only be found as loot (or bought on the market). Some of them are really good.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 11:56AM Innocentte said

I liked the game, when I played it. But, I think the screenshots show what the main problem is. Land is void of players. If the only character visible in a number of screenshots is your own toon, well that is a big problem.

I wish them well, but a lonely MMORPG is a not much fun MMORPG.

My 2c
Probably all it is worth

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 12:05PM (Unverified) said

As an Artificer myself, I was really surprised when I had to travel to an actual adventuring zone (including glaring mobs) and study the nearby castle for my newest recipe.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 12:20PM werewood said

I think that Sonny is STU-PID!!! not to make this thing a F2P game.
I will surely join and even put a few $ here and there on this title.
It is better than EQ2 and Lotro together.
If there is any chance for a good f2p it is Vanguard.
Wake up SOE.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 11:33PM (Unverified) said

Vanguard IS the BEST unfinished game out there. I was sad when my trial ended. I like SOE's games. But I am baffled by the way they manage/support them. Their customer service almost makes up for the other failings, though.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 12:31PM jeremys said

@Krystalle: If you ever run across a timid and confused looking Dwarf named Abernacky Anvilslayer, be sure to say "Hi".

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 12:43PM bate said

Vanguard would have been such an epic game if they had gotten enough funding to finish it. It needed some very slight polish and a few bug fixes.. They did sooo many things right. The combat and the character classes are all fun and unique. The Vanguard bard is probably the most entertaining class I ever played. Eventually I had to give up on the game for the same reason mentioned above; lack of population. The PvP servers I played on were all but empty, something that would strip any MMO of its charm..

I for one am usually not a fan of F2P titles, but in this case I think it would be a good idea.. Seems like the only plausible chance of resurrecting this potentially wonderful title.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 1:13PM (Unverified) said

Nice review so far Krystalle.

You learn as your character gets more levels, more things are available to them. This is a theme you will see played out in crafting, adventuring and diplomacy, etc..

@uberowo.. u should try the game again.

-Orin

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 1:18PM (Unverified) said

Go, go lil Raki

Vanguard's starting isle is very linear and you will not be given many branches. But that is what a tutorial zone is for, driving you in a line and teaching you have to play.

Diplomancy is very fun, but there are a few very difficult parlays on the isle. But unlike the mainland, there is zero chance that the NPC will stop talking to you, so keep trying. Oh yeah, in IoD's beta, those parlays were a lot harder.

Crafting like diplomancy is a game in to intself. But it is harder on the isle than mainland sadly since there are (at least last ime I played) no work orders for the final items so you are forced to gather your own mats, which is not that difficult.
In closing, do yourself a favor and either have someone give you a breastplate or make one yourself, since the final reward from the final fight is the only breasplate given out as a reward. (Note there is a crafting BP reward) Sadly, merchant cloth robes provide more armor than starting platemail. :(

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 1:28PM werewood said

If I am to sun tonight for a month and create a Druid ... by what name will I find you?

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 1:28PM werewood said

err - SUB that is ...

Posted: Sep 23rd 2010 8:09AM (Unverified) said

Glad you are enjoying yourself. I told you disciple wasn't a good choice for your first of many toons /wink

Posted: Sep 23rd 2010 2:33AM Gyurie said

I bought Vanguard myself not long ago and I must say I'm having a blast. It is much more complex than most of the major titles out there. It's only flaw is population.

@Krystalle: You'll heading to a large hobgoblin camp at some point in the Diplomat's Saga. If you're seeing 3-4 non-aggro hobgoblins in the camp, make sure you go there and check it out! :) Also talking with one of them has its reward.

Posted: Sep 23rd 2010 10:03AM (Unverified) said

Excellent review thus far! The population is really not bad, with the server merger and all the new ppl coming it is quite populated.