Posted: Sep 21st 2010 11:57AM (Unverified) said

I really, really enjoyed my time in FE, spent about 3 months subscribed, but had to drop it for financial/time reasons. I still would like to go back and revisit the game, I think its a unique game that deserves more credit and attention than it gets.

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 12:05PM Ocho said

Fallen Earth is just sitting on my hard drive, waiting for me to re-sub... maybe someday I'll have the time to play it again or feel its worth my time to resub, as I really did enjoy it the first time around.

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 12:17PM Jef Reahard said

That's a common sentiment among people I know. They all love FE but simply don't play it regularly for whatever reason. For me, it's a time issue. It's such a deep and involving title that it makes for a really poor second or third MMO. At some point I'd love to make it my primary game.

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 1:48PM Arkane said

I love FE, been with the game since Early Alpha, and never bought it at launch becasue i had just spent a fortune on CO lifetime sub. However, i managed to buy the game a few months later, currently un-subbed, becasue i feel my Pc can't handle the game like i want too. After X-mas when i've upgraded my PC i'll come back to the farm feel of the Wasteland as i take down Zombies and other Radiated creatures.

FE is just like Vanguard a very unique game, with an awesome world.

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 2:46PM (Unverified) said

I bought the game and glad I could support the little guy with the unique game, but ultimately I just don't have much interest in it.

The reasons have been stated here several times, the first is the total lone wolf aspect. The world would be ripe for players banding together against the harshness of the apocalypse, but really the game is pretty easy, so no one has no need or desire to group. Even the clans I joined were pretty dull, and they were really just a glorified chat room.

The other is the pvp. Again so much potential to be something great, but without any real need to hold towns, they can flip flop all over and no one cares. If they put in real meaning to the factions and pvp it would go a long way, say advanced mats that are very scarce and localized so one faction would need to defend it so another faction does not have access to it.

Really the game difficulty overall is pretty low, if it is going to be this easy to get by during the apocalypse then I am not so worried.

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 2:50PM SocksForYou said

Really liked this game, but kind of hit a "What's the point?" moment and haven't found the motivation to re-sub.

Is there any content that requires grouping now that's worth the effort? Is everyone still entirely self-sufficient when it comes to crafting, or is there any reason to use the auction system? Do people generally avoid PvP zones or is there any action on that front?

I understand FE is more about "enjoying the ride" and I'm all for that, but I prefer games where you need other players at times to accomplish certain goals.

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 2:55PM (Unverified) said

Customer support for account issues = fail

For example: In a recent special offer to resub, they advertised a special price. When I resubbed via paypal, i was charged full price.

Support response, was that they dont honor the special offer for paypal. They said I should have seen the disclaimer. Why the distinction?

Fine, you have a disclaimer, but one less subscriber. Bad business decisions are not good for the game.

I guess they have to ask themselves, what did they accomplish? Well, Congratualtions, you have my monthly fee, but lost a subscriber. Was it worth it?

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 3:34PM Jef Reahard said

Interesting, thanks for bringing that to the table. I looked briefly at account-related support with the Vanguard issue of Community Detective, and I'd like to get more into that into a future column.

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 5:29PM (Unverified) said

I received the same offer, and was going to pay via paypal, but saw the fine print (it was actually pretty prominent on the resub page). My guess is the paypal fees eat in to the $5 special; paypal has some notoriously steep per-charge transaction costs.

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 4:41PM DarthDan said

"Have Facebook and American Idol died horrible, well-deserved deaths? Are Cool Ranch Doritos still available?"

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 4:42PM DarthDan said

Errr.... it deleted everything I said after that quotation, which was 'niiiiiice', and then the following paragraph.

Good to see that the Fallen Earth GMs were at least nice, helpful, and responsive -- even though they didn't restore the lost item. That actually goes a long way with players and leaves them with a strikingly different feeling than the cold eff you given by many other gaming houses I've encountered. The icy mechanical "Sorry, we cannot help you. Is there anything more we can do for you today" really sucks. Good to see Fallen Earth isn't the same.

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 5:33PM (Unverified) said

I really enjoyed playing FE for a couple months, but it had three problems: first, as a soloer myself Fallout 3 gets the job done quite well, so FE's lone wolf feel has to compete with that; second, the control scheme is rather unusual, and while I played the game heavily I got quite used to it; as soon as I took a break for a week or two, it felt very akward coming back. Third, the game is extremely involved, too much so for the level of commitment/time I have--the crafting system, for example, was enormously complex with dramatically diminishing returns over time. The game seemed to slow down as I crept up to level 15 (yes, hardcores, laugh at me!) and persistent talk about how the endgame focus was pvp left me wondering if my time was better spent elsewhere. As it was I ended up sticking with DDO, but I would most definitely return to FE if it ever went F2P.

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 6:39PM Saker said

I just don't know about this game. I'm currently a subscriber, but I frankly don't know why as I rarely play it. I like the world, but I'm just not drawn to play like other games have done before... I think it does need some more group content, I mean to say it actually seems -too- solo friendly.

Make My MMO: October 19 - 25, 2014