Posted: Sep 21st 2010 1:09PM Synthetic said

Just wait 'til World of Minecraft!

Anyway, how much of the game's narrative can be experienced in the shoes of a pacifist?

I really like the angle Square Enix has played here; that you can devote and level yourself purely through craftsmanship. Being a Master Tradesmen sounds like a heck of a support role, if a bit dull. But I'm curious to know the type of status, prestige, and game Final Fantasy XIV becomes if one decides to go down this route.

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 2:12PM (Unverified) said

Being a master crafter is actually a pretty Big Deal in FFXIV. At least in the early game, there are a lot of different items that are very useful to have that you can't get any other way - jewelry, upgraded weapons and crafting implements, certain kinds of cloth and leather armor, good chainmail, plate armor of any sort, decent headgear, good shields, consumables, etc. Of the main story quests I was able to complete during beta testing, they were all accessible to non-combat main professions, so players don't suffer (yet) for lacking a combat class.

And, once you've outfitted people in all your spiffy crafted items, they will keep coming back because they need you to fix their damaged stuff. NPC "repairmen" charge exorbitant rates and only repair your gear to 75%. You need a sufficiently leveled craftsman to restore your stuff to 100% for full stat bonuses or trading to another player. At least from the limited perspective of level-capped beta testing, I think crafting really is a viable route in this game. In some ways, it's more involving than combat.

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 1:52PM GRT said

So basically it sounds pretty similar to EQ2, with some tweaks to the crafting process but the same balance of durability vs progress, plus FF XIV adds quality as a separate scale while EQ2 uses it as points on the progress graph.

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 5:00PM Pagan said

Nice to see deep crafting design return to MMOs. I'll have to give it a spin.

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 2:23PM (Unverified) said

Actually this was one of the features that made me interested in first place. Crafting characters and no auction hall. I really enjoyed playing F2P mmo called goonzu where crafting/trading was also big part of the game.

Sadly I'm not big enough fan to endure all bad things(UI, user unfriendliness and arrogance of SE) in FF. I just hope they will fix those and make game playable(for me) till PS3 launch.

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 6:10PM (Unverified) said

Miners can collect from, i believe they're called, "quarries" much the same way you described tall grass for botanists. They're located in caves. I think its the "off-hand" weapon that allows this. I'm not certain if fishing has the same deal.

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 7:36PM Sinfulle said

Miners do quarry with the off hand hammer, I ended up with flint stone shards from the times I found quarries. I am guessing they will be used to either make or repair guns, as the tool tip stated they were used with firearms.

What I like about the harvest classes is the fact that one class is able to gather items for many different classes. While mining I found worms that can be used for fishing. While harvesting as a botanist I obtained items that could be used by Culinarians, Weavers, Alchemists, and more.

I thoroughly enjoyed harvesting and ended up gaining more levels in that than in combat.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 7:44AM Zalasta said

You can quarry along the streams around Gridania as well.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 1:45AM Spron said

Fishing certainly does have a use for the off-hand gathering item: spear-fishing. And as a heads-up, the "official" site, Lodestone, has a database of crafting recipes. It looks like- at least for the basics- players won't have to use trial and error to find recipes.

Posted: Sep 23rd 2010 7:55AM pcgneurotic said

I like the sound of this! The crafting durability/progress race sounds like the EQ2 system, which is the best I've found yet in any mmog.