Posted: Sep 20th 2010 9:54AM Dandmcd said

No game right now has PvP that really stands out to me, but I imagine DAoC still rocks in the PvP department despite its age, and Eve PvP is always entertaining. Games like Guild Wars and WoW had great PvP years ago but has since grown stale. I'd still play all these older titles over Warhammer or Aion's suckfest PvP. There's 2 cases of "What could have been/should have been". I'm looking forward to what Rift and Guild Wars 2 can do for PvP in their games. With Mythic working on SWTOR, I've already written the PvP off from that game.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 8:07AM Serafin said

• 1 heart
I really enjoy Aion's PvP system though it would be nice if it wasn't so gear dependent.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 8:58AM Monkey D Luffy said

• Half a heart
Aion is a POS.

Darkfall is the best PVP.

No other game can compare.

(I kinda feel bad for the people that said EVE, it has the worst PVP hands down)

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 3:33PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
I agree with Sera, Aion had some clever PvP mechanics that could have really taken off - the rifting concept seemed like a clever device for making PvP attackers put themselves at a disadvantage in order to attack PvE players, and the way that legions could create custom banners that appear when fortresses are sieged and taken provided for some fun alternate rewards.

Aion just had too many hoops to jump through before you could get to the PvP part. Level grind, gear grind, AP grind, made worse because they were long and rather tedious. If you weren't a fan of time-sink based rewards you would not enjoy the game, and I suspect that drove off a lot of potential PvP players.

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 3:00AM Georgio said

What a joke. Aion PvP is non existant. Aion had at some point limited ZvZ (zerg versus zerg) and rifting, at this time when the game is practically dead PvP is a distant memory.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 8:07AM (Unverified) said

WoW pre-battlegrounds.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 10:00AM Ocho said

I second that... I never enjoyed PvP more in a game (and I'm not a huge fan of PvP to begin with) than WoW pre-BG. When there were no rewards for PvP more than just pummeling those around you to a pulp, it was glorious. The 24 hour TM/SS PvP battles still holds a great memory for me.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 11:06AM Zantom said

• 1 heart
Total opposite. WoW post BGs. Love it.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 8:09AM (Unverified) said

Asheron's Call PvP was the best based purely on skill. Unlike games like WoW, you could have terrible gear and if you were skilled you would most likely still win. It was also the most fun PvP combat I've experienced.
DAoC was also really good RvR type combat.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 8:10AM (Unverified) said

Lineage 2 - epic castle sieges and coordinated mass pvp.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 8:12AM Stanzig said

Planetside

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 11:18AM Valdamar said

100% agree.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 8:13AM WARXion said

EVE Online for first, then my second favorite was Warhammer Online.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 8:18AM (Unverified) said

EvE, by far on all aspects. Lineage II for the "massive epic factor", Warhammer for the fun part and Guild Wars for coordination.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 8:19AM (Unverified) said

Eve, hands down. Nearly every other MMO is a simple contest of reflexes and whack-a-mole cooldown management. Eve's combat might not be the most exciting, but it is easily the most meaningful.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 8:27AM (Unverified) said

A tie between DAoC and EVE.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 8:32AM (Unverified) said

Planetside for sure.

You can hack your way inside stealthie, you can drop in with a bunch of other guys into an enemies base, fight on the front lines against the enemy forces, the ways you can play are so different its just incredible fun overall!

Sadly ever since it stopped being f2p a few years ago, I hear the number of players has decreased massively. So where you could have originally found massive battles all over the place, it is a lot different from what I remember, which is sad.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 11:26AM Valdamar said

Yeah it's tragic - I just hope Planetside 2/Next will be good and bring back that old Planetside feel. I also quit Planetside when the servers just became too quiet - I didn't see much point paying a subscription for a game that is only fun at certain times on weekends when enough people logged in to get some reasonable size fights going.

Hopefully Planetside Next will use a Guild Wars style payment model so all the FPS fans don't just ignore it and go play the CoD/Battlefield-series where they don't have to pay a sub.

Planetside had a real war feel to it - camaraderie, faction pride, not just tactics but strategy as well (well, when we could get all our top outfits on NC Werner working together), and just like in a war you could be killed by a stray bomb dropped from half a mile above or as a "green" newbie you could kill a veteran with a good shot when the opportunity presented itself - nobody was dominant because of gear or the class they picked to play, because everyone had access to the same certifications/equipment.

It was my PvP utopia and because of SOE's mismanagement and resulting lack of players it just decayed into unplayability :(

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 4:16PM (Unverified) said

NC Werner. Blue and Gold represent.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 9:31AM Temko said

Darkfall.

Hands down, without any doubt in any form or way.

it brings to the table the Risk and preperation of EvE's pvp. it bring to the table the FPS madness of Global Agenda, APB, or a shooter and it fields to the table the most adrenaline pumping experience in pvp one could wish for.

for all it's faults (and they are many) darkfall is THE pvp game on the market. risk, loss, victory and consequnce. all in 1 package of raw and undiluted adrenaline pumping madness.

and this is but a single example of darkfall pvp.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014