Posted: Sep 20th 2010 1:42PM Jhaer said

I wonder if my having had a Station Access account from Sony counts as having subscribed in the past as far as Captain's Club bonuses...

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 2:14PM relgoth said

interesting game but even if it goes f2p i think i would be very hard pressed to try it.

Though when i say that i say it with complete sincerity, i definately wish this game the best of luck and hope f2p is the correct decision for them. Not enough pirate mmos around and it would be great to see more.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 2:48PM Tazmanyak said

I quit the game after beta.
In my opininon the concept was totally "botched" will too much instanciation, crappy avatar combat, and not really good faction balance tools and objectives.

With f2p model, i can do what i couldnt before: check what happened those last (2?) years in the burning seas :)

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 8:24AM Valdamar said

I also quit after beta and early launch. The game just didn't have the depth or gameplay enjoyment to demand a sub. I think going F2P is the only chance it has to survive, but I just hope they haven't left it too late because there was always such potential there.

I'll probably go back and try it as well, just to see what has changed, as I loved the ship combat (that part was really well done, both for PvP and PvE), but I agree that the concept of the game is just so much less than it could have been - this could/should have been like an age of sail version of EVE Online (albeit with more interesting combat :p ) with an open world - the fact you spend so much time looking at the ocean map - and praying the wind won't change cos it would triple your journey length - is a big drawback as it was dull.

Ditto for the economy in beta - dull dull dull - yes the logistics were somewhat realistic, but I wouldn't want to play a long distance lorry driver simulator either - I got sick of transporting my iron from Port of Spain to Bartica every day and that was a relatively short trip - though I understand they streamlined the economy post-launch. Also avatar combat seemed like an afterthought in the state the game launched - tbh the only MMO I've played with a worse avatar section was the other ill-fated vehicle-based MMORPG I beta-tested, Auto Assault, and there was no avatar-to-avatar combat in that. Be interesting to see how they've fixed those early faults, if at all.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 2:50PM Luk said

I am pondering about coming back to this game once it goes F2P. It was a lot of fun in the beginning, then it lost its momentum and hopefully with more players coming and trying it out, the game will be back on its feet.

I just hope certain captain club members will not gank the newbies out of the seas as they did before. It is a PvP game which favors those who have too much time on their hands, and the lack of time and numbers to pvp was what drove me away from it to begin with. I guess we will see.

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 9:24AM (Unverified) said

Please remember that this game is almost 2 years old now.

Your experiences during beta and the early days are probably not a good indicator of what the game is like now.

I also played during beta. Honestly, I didn't think the game would survive and yet, somehow it is still chugging along. So I have to assume that something good happened in the two years since I last tried this game.

I think a F2P conversion is a good idea.

Make My MMO: December 21 - 27, 2014