Posted: Sep 20th 2010 3:06PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
I'm not trying to be a dick but do we really need this guide for WoW players? I accept that WoW made mmo players outta non gamers and non mmo players but most aren't going to not play WoW any time soon. Plus do we really want the WoW players joining other games. The chat would be filled with racist/sexist jokes or comments and chuck norris jokes of useless banter and e-thugging. I liked WoW and I spent my time with it but it wasn't my first and it wasn't the last just one of them. I mean more on a community the better but the larger question is do we want them to come over if they aren't respectful people. I mean FFXI and XIV aren't WoW and thats why a lot of them are turned off to it.

/begin down ranking

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 3:31PM misterorff said

I think looking at it from a "Them" vs. "Us" standpoint is counterproductive. There are millions of "Them" and "They" all can't be that bad, and many might enjoy hanging out with "Us."

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 3:40PM Dumac said

I think in this case WoW is just used as an umbrella term that encompasses most of the currently popular MMORPG around, because they are so similar, with WoW being the most well known. He probably just wanted to use an example to explain how FFXIV is and isn't different.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 3:44PM (Unverified) said

Yet there are plenty of WoW players, who do not fit in the band of the elitist or retarded, who would love to play something different.

The relevant issue for those players is finding a game that stands up to WoW in terms of content and depth.

- Former WoW --now FFXIV-- player, 2007.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 3:48PM Its Utakata stupid said

For some players, WoW maybe was their only game. For awhile...it was mine. So a player might be hardwired to believing that FF14 is another WoW based mechanic...just with bits of anime flavorings - which likely couldn't be further from the truth. So to prepare player a bit for a new type of game outside of WoW, this article is neccessary. So the player can both make informed choice if this game is for them and start at a good reference point if they choose to try it out.

Though there is an arguement where this article is best suited. Over at now WoW Insider...where many patrons will likey complain this is too off-topic for that medium. Oh here, where many patrons suggest this exercise is somewhat redundent, since many of us has played more than one game. /sigh

And I will add, no MMO with ever be immune to bigots and morons. Unfortunately, the more successful the game, the more bigots and morons it will attract. There are other factors too...but even if WoW was a contributing factor, it's likely a small one. Comparing WoW to FF14 for outside of WoW gaming newbs at Massively, will unlikely make it any bigger.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 4:28PM Dril said

Guess what?

You kind of ruined your argument that the WoW community is full of wankers by generalising them.

Please understand that idiocy is actually spread by diffusion and is, by and large, found everywhere.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 10:49PM (Unverified) said

If you want to describe a new game, an effective way to do it is to explain how it is similar and how it is different to an existing game.

So which existing game do you choose to compare it to? Well, when the biggest game in town has like 50x as many players as the second biggest, it would be pretty silly to pick something other than the biggest game in town as your point of comparison..

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 12:35AM Monkey D Luffy said

• Half a heart
The WoW players guide to FFXIV.

1) Don't play FFXIV. You're playing the best MMO on the market and you want to switch to an outdated game like FFXIV?

2)It is not an open world MMO, it it like the first 20 hrs of FFXIII, it's just a bunch of narrow paths, but there is a single area that is slightly open, Ul'dah.

3)Everything in that game is copy pasted, have fun exploring the same area over and over.

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 5:20AM tchuks said

• Half a heart
@ Joker

Don't forget, laggy mouse and you can't JUMP! What is this? 1984?

Also I've played the open beta, for a few hours a day, I can tell this game is doomed to fail. Stay away from it ASAP or else you will lose $$$

Also S-E doesn't like people from north america so the copies of FFXIV shipped here put your character in a permanently weakened state.

All this and more are reasons not to play this game.

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 10:15AM (Unverified) said

Generalizing trolls generalize.

List your preferred game so it can be properly slammed. It's cool to hate what is popular, right? I bet you game while wearing a beret and Che Guevara shirt.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 3:10PM (Unverified) said

I personally can't see many WoW players staying attached to this game. The gameplay is so different, and from my experience, most of the WoW players I know dislike change.

The main draw for this game, much like the previous one is the namesake (SE is, of course, smart enough to realize that too), if it was named Fantasyland and developed by some no name studio, nobody would be talking about it half as much.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 6:42PM ChaosInc said

For the people I play with (mostly RL friends), they're willing to try different styles, but the thing that keeps them for fully stepping away is the age old "I played this toon for too long..." and/or "I worked too hard... to just walk away." Yet they log on 3 days out of the week for raid and do nothing else. The rest of the time they're playing League of Legends. Go figure. :S

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 1:45PM NeverDeath said

• 1 heart

Yeah, most WoW players do dislike change; Because most WoW players are just WoW players, not gamers - and that has allowed the game to stagnate. A person who doesn't like change is content with expansions that are full of more of the same and nothing interesting :P

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 3:34PM relgoth said

• 1 heart
Theres not really much you can do about the vulgarity of the internet, people arnt going to be respectful when there are no consequences to their actions and thats basically all there is to say.

On the other hand i dont believe a guide just got wow players is needed. I played wow for 3.5 years and my experience with the community is 50% will not play anything else but wow for the forseeable future.

Mainly because that 50% logs on 4-8 hours a week and they like how in those 4-8 hours they can get things done and feel like they have accomplished something. Not saying that is wrong, but for mmo gamer that doesnt play wow they put in considerably more time in developing their character.

FF 14 will not be that casual, i can say that pretty confidently just my looking and playing its predecessor. In my youth ive pulled quite a few 14hr play sessions in ffxi and still never reached max lvl before i quit.

In my opinion this author should have just wrote " a new players guide to ffxiv" instead of just reaching to the wow crowd.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 10:48PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Dear sir, have YOU even played the Open Beta for FFXIV? How is it that you're so sure it is the same game as FFXI? Just by looking and playing the predecessor, you can be sure that FFXIV is not going to be casual?

Well in that case, please tell me what the gameplay for WOW II will be like since you've already looked and played the predecessor.

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 9:42AM Speedmonkay said

Yeah really, if you played the open beta you would have know that FFXIV isnt as grindy. There were many days where I only had an hour or 2 to play. On FFXI this wasn't enough time to do much, maybe travel from one place to another and visit an AH. On FFXIV, 2 hrs is enough time to actually get all 8 leves for the day done.

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 10:23AM (Unverified) said

So wrong about FFXIV, it is MADE to be casual-friendly. Read up on fatigue and how it is supposed to keep the hardcore levelers within range of those who... aren't. Nevermind that it also is intended to hide the lack of any endgame content, but that's something else altogether.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 3:53PM Pagan said

Excellent article! Cleared up some questions I had from Beta. Can't wait to read your Crafting Guide!

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 4:03PM ttvp said

It's an alright beginner guide, but there should have been something mentioned about vendors/npcs in the game. How you will not be able to tell who is a vendor and who isn't a vendor and what they sell unless you talk to them and/or they seem to be standing behind a storefront (and even that isn't a sure thing). Maybe it's something that was just present in beta and will be resolved for launch, but it seemed pretty unintuitive to me.

Shopping for class items seemed like a frustrating ordeal, going from vendor to vendor just to have a peek at their wares. "Ok this looks like a market district, let's see what this guy has for sale. Hmmm, nope. Next guy. Hmmm, nope. Next guy..." and so on. Most notably in my memory was one vendor who had a lot of glass jars on display, and told me he specialized in rare gems and metals (or whatever), but all he sold was a handful of cloth and leather clothing articles.

I'm willing to accept that I am spoiled a fair bit by warcraft, but I don't believe it should be a 30 minute journey up and down the city trying to locate who sells chef tools and who sells the apples.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 4:09PM Tuza said

• Half a heart
Those people who will migrate from WoW to FFXIV will be the same people who know the basic concepts of video games. They'll also know how to read tooltips for moves, so they can figure out what uses TP/MP and what doesn't. Spending a night figuring out things for yourself will get you further than reading this guide.

Though, those people who will not consider migrating away from WoW could probably use this guide. But, they're not migrating.

Useless guide is useless.