Posted: Sep 19th 2010 1:35PM Carefulwiththatpoptart said

AoC has come a long way, it's just not my cup of tea. Fortunately, you can pick up the original game for about $5 pretty much anywhere. This led me to give it three tries to pull me in.... never happened. Tortage made me tired, and the community seemed to be made up mostly of 14-year-olds making dick jokes. No thanks.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 4:11PM Tom in VA said

Agreed. Never got much past the city of Tortage either. : /

I just felt by that point that WoW, LotRO, and Guild Wars, in comparison, had all been substantially more fun initially than AoC. A game should be fun from the get-go, no? Is that asking too much?

I don't like games that require you to spend hours and hours in before they even start to become "fun" (assuming they ever do). AoC seemed, to me anyway, like that type of game. Tortage was one of the lamest and most tedious beginning experiences in an "MMO" I have ever come across.

Posted: Sep 19th 2010 2:35PM Lateris said

I have to think that the art work takes more time than the coding and I for one appreciate it because I have been in some MMO's where the art work suffers over the years. That is not the case with AoC. There is also the engine upgrade that is being processed which is supposed to include new development tools to deliver new content a little more quickly, the opening of the office in Canada, and the test server awaiting new content. There is also discussion on the boards if we will see "new lands" ever again. I also think Craig is looking at the discussions heavily and wants to get the issues addressed because he actively joins these discussions at all hours of the night on the US side and the Euro side. And the next update is supposed to address the issues with the grasslands.

Jeff- I have to think the new AoC movie will be a flop. I hope I am wrong. I think word of mouth is best for AoC. I know on my server Tortage is filled with new players checking it out. And my guild has new members almost daily. But we always tell them the expansion is based on faction grind for gear but we can help them get through it quickly by grouping. I just have to think AoC is in a between stage right now with the new office and the engine upgrade. I think the end goal
is to learn the new dev tools to create new content more quickly right now

Posted: Sep 19th 2010 3:17PM Jef Reahard said

Agreed, the new movie doesn't look too good (but the old ones weren't good either, heh). And yeah it is good to see all the new blood, the game seems to be healthy, if not growing a bit.

Posted: Sep 19th 2010 5:43PM Valentina said

It does seem to be growing definitely, but I think only on the two regular PvE servers.

As for the movie I haven't seen any coming attractions for it yet lol.

Posted: Sep 19th 2010 7:23PM Bezza said

Love the game and have been playing it on and off since release through all the controversy and its subsequent reanimation. My main character was a ranger, I also have a few other high end toons in the 60’s to 70’s level range. I have a PoM in the 60’s and didn’t feel too bad about it. I have to say though that the recent ranger rework has seen me shelf my ranger indefinitely which is really annoying. As a solo PvE player I enjoyed the ranger, found it challenging but not impossible to play most circumstances. Since the rebuild it is all but pointless and my ranger can’t even complete the final level 80 primary quest. Despite several rebuilds I have come to the conclusion that the Ranger has been bludgeoned to death with the nerf hammer.

Here I was ready to complete the main quest arc and move my ranger to Khitai and now I have to stop and decide which other class to level up to 80 to really enjoy the godslayer content.

Posted: Sep 19th 2010 7:44PM Lateris said

Well when you get there you will have to go with new equipment that has a high rate of critical \mitigation. What server are you on?

Posted: Sep 19th 2010 8:29PM Jef Reahard said

The ranger is still pretty viable imo. I took one to 70 just prior to the latest nerf, and have since started a new one and got him to 30 this weekend. Melee isn't as strong as it was, but it's still a pretty fun class if you like to hang back and pew pew (and lay traps).

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 6:29AM Bezza said

I play on Wiccana

Posted: Sep 19th 2010 11:12PM Valentina said

I'm not a fan of the new ranger revamp but they can do crazy AOE damage in raids now.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 6:41AM Bongo123 said

As a brand new player after finally upgrading my computer i have to admit so far im absolutely loving it, granted im only a level 18 Necro but graphically this game is outstanding and when i first entered tortage i was gobsmacked at the beauty and detail of it all, the quests have all been enjoyable, the grind pretty much non existant and did i mention how fecking good it looks???

I'm nearly done with my tortage quests, a few to finish on white sands then the final part of my night time quest and thats me, so i'll defo be subbing to continue my questing, easily one of the best mmo's from a PVE perspective out there and i couldnt reccommend it highly enough for a new player, anyways hit me up ingame for a chat or a hand :-)

Evilsod - EU Crom

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 11:07AM (Unverified) said

I will agree that AoC is a fantastic looking game, and enjoy playing it. The funny thing is that I have had a love hate relationship with this game. I feel like as my character progresses, the gear keeps on looking the same (same helm, vest..etc. Just different specs), and I cannot find any good PVP

All-n-all, the game is well made and there is certainly lots of updates that happen. Makes ppl happy that its still alive

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 12:07PM DarthDan said

"...but the fact that it's spent years in development hell ... and has been passed around to more development studios than a bottle of cheap whiskey at an Aquilonian brothel doesn't exactly bode well." That made me chuckle.

Very interesting to hear about these apps.

As for my personal interests, I hope the future brings some guild databases that allow folks to see how much renown their members have contributed during the week, as well as their total contributions to date. As it stands now, these features don't even update properly live in the game, and there is no way to look back further than a week per member. Hopefully that will change later.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 12:11PM (Unverified) said

AOC melts my face. I Love this game. I'm having so much fun in Khitai. I have played, many, many mmo's and not one comes to the stunning graphical beauty and music of this one. Give it a try!

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 12:29PM (Unverified) said

I agree...BUT..to me Warhammer Online beats everything out there

Posted: Sep 25th 2010 7:08AM (Unverified) said

Been playing AOC the past few months and now my HoX is almost 60 (it goes slow when you actually read all the quest stuff). Still some way to go before I can head over to Khitai but I am enjoying myself very. I feel much more immersed in the world and lore and story then I thought it would and in the summer I even ended up buying and reading the actual Conan stories. That definitely deepened the game experience even more like when meeting up with NPC's who's background story is now known.
I play pve on Crom and in all the places I have been it seems lively with players running around and have joined up regularly with 1-2 players just doing some quests together.
Also playing (and enjoying) LOTRO atm but this has become my main game.