Posted: Sep 19th 2010 6:17PM esarphie said

• 1 heart
The glorification of metagaming: prime reason many of us have no interest in EVE. This story, like so many others out of the annals of EVE wholly relies on creating fake characters to manipulate and mislead so that your other character might profit. If the Scott of the tale had hired another character (not a player, but a character) to set someone up, that would be different. Same if he'd someone disguised his character, but faking up a new character, how can anyone prevent that sort of thing?

Posted: Sep 19th 2010 7:05PM Hurbster said

Yeah, pretty much sums up why I avoid Eve like the plague. Too much of that shit in real life. Don't want to come across it in a game that I play to enjoy myself in.

Posted: Sep 19th 2010 8:56PM (Unverified) said

Graill: still mad about a game he doesn't play.

For someone who claims to be in their 40s, you're awfully childish.

Posted: Sep 19th 2010 9:07PM DrewIW said

Graill, if the players are killing the game (and have been doing so for many years), why do the subscriber numbers continue to increase? You continue to claim that CCP is some grand conspiracy pulling the wool over our eyes, but your continuing refusal to provide any actual proof really makes you seem increasingly desperate and foolish.

If players are using standard ingame mechanics, and CCP agrees that it is ok, then how is it a "loophole"? Claiming there are no "ingame mechanics" to prevent this is patently untrue. You're never forced to give anyone corporate roles.

If EVE has a "tiny" number of subcribers, can you name some other P2P MMOs that have the same subscription numbers, growth, and longevity?

And of course, my final question: u mad?

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 2:51AM eNTi said

players a people and some of them like to grief or steal or even kill. eve lets you do this and be a hero. O_o

Posted: Sep 19th 2010 7:18PM Joshua Przygocki said

Should get an interview with "Zeeqo" for next weeks column, THAT would be interesting. Never really heard the victim before.

Posted: Sep 19th 2010 7:43PM (Unverified) said

He probably immediately quit...

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 12:57PM ScottishViking said

+1 for this idea.

Posted: Sep 19th 2010 8:26PM Controlled Chaos said

One can never really trust in the 'goodness' of other people in MMOs, really. It's kind of the reason why I like instanced games. That way, I don't have to worry about being ganked by someone who just wants to screw things up for you because they troll or they want a quick payday. It simply makes you not trust anyone, especially in games like Eve where anonymity can pave the way so well for pricks to ruin your day. Yet ask anyone and you've got a game there that basically requires you to join up with others because people will slaughter you otherwise.

I've done three separate trials of the game and, so far, I just can't rationalize the full purchase when, in a matter of seconds, you can lose everything you worked for for months. Part of me always wants to, because I love Sci Fi that much, but it just makes it impossible.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 8:13AM Suplyndmnd said

I played EvE Online for a while and I just couldn't get over the fact that at any second i could lose years worth of work.

Where I come from (FFXI), stuff like this was just not going to happen. If you scammed people you were blacklisted and you just better transfer servers (and pray god people don't follow you there to inform everyone else of your deeds) or just quit. There were many times that I had people who had OBVIOUSLY accidentally over paid in Auctions (200,000 instead of 20,000) and they would send tells pleading for their gil back (knowing full well their mistake could be my gain and people would tell them tough luck) but that wasn't how the community was. I would give the money back. I swore up and down i never would (God knows it's a lot of free money) but after 4 years of doing this it paid off. Big time.

I was selling ancient currency and because of my poor math i put 1.2 million and due to being over tired didn't catch my huge mistake. Thankfully they corrected it to 12 million. I can imagine i literally would have cried as only 6 million of it was mine. I thanked them for half an hour.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 9:08AM Aganazer said

The risks and losses in EVE aren't half as bad as some people make it out to be. By playing smart you can minimize your risks. Most of the time you have to deliberately put yourself at risk of loss by entering low sec, wormholes, etc. By knowing the dangers you can minimize the risk. And when you do lose something its no big deal. Most players have many ships scattered around the universe. If by some random act of stupidity you lose your best ship then you simply jump into your second best and start saving again.

You never lose ALL your progress. You can't. Ships are cheap and transient. Skills are what define you and they are learned over time and cannot be taken from you. That is the fundamental difference about EVE that many players of other MMOG's don't seem to understand.

Why was Zeeqo flying an uninsured Freighter? Most players wouldn't even undock an uninsured ship.

An experienced player can make 300 million in a weekend. I have no idea why Scott got worked up over that much. Three players (even newer ones running L3's) could have made that back in a day or two. This is a great story, but not very practical in game terms.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 6:34PM DeadlyAccurate said

Re: not insuring it. Was it a T2 ship that isn't worth insuring? I never insure my T2 ships. It's just not worth spending 1.2 million on a ship I paid 20 million for, in order to get back 3 million.

Posted: Sep 19th 2010 9:55PM (Unverified) said

I enjoy these posts.

Posted: Sep 19th 2010 10:28PM Benicio said

I enjoyed the comments more than the story this time round.

Posted: Sep 19th 2010 10:46PM Efithor said

An excellent read, and a fine example of what MMOs can be. Even a top notch single player game with great writing can't match the stories that are played out on a day to day basis in this game. I demand more stories! Heck, why not a new column dedicated to stories that play themselves out in our beloved genre?

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 2:01AM (Unverified) said

How does one gank a freighter with three Thoraxes in high-sec? o.O

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 2:04AM Brendan Drain said

If you're in the same player-run corporation as someone, you can attack them without CONCORD getting involved.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 2:53AM eNTi said

uhmm... i got a friend who's playing eve for 5 years or so now. i think it was 3 days ago, when i was visiting him. i watched him play 4 characters at once and he was in some sort of 0.0 complex with two other guys, making 220 mio isk and 3 hours. so ... 420 mio isk is like nothing.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 5:12AM Psychotic Storm said

I really wonder sometimes how many of the increasing number of EVE players are just old players taking yet another sub.

I mean I have 3 friends and each got at least an extra or two accounts they play with plex in addition to their mains account so it would be 7 accounts from just 3 people.

In fanfest from the conversations I got was that the 3 accounts per person sounds normal.

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 4:47AM anduz said

This part of the article kind of makes it out like he sold two of his friends for a few million isk and a bit of grief.

Kind of silly if you ask me.

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM