Posted: Sep 18th 2010 12:21PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
IDK i think the game will do good I dont think its a WoW killer and people shouldnt think that goin into the game. The game since OB was busy the first week then it started to die down seeing that release was getting closer alot of people I have ran into on the game either said yes they are goin to play it on release and just want to stop now since they are goin to erase my character or like me wanted to stay play and explore and craft to make your gears and sell them, and then you got the people who havent played it yet that are waitin themselves to play it, the game has ALOT of potential, it control's like FFXI needs tweaking here and there balance amongst mobs, and us needs to be fixed and a few other things, but its not stopping me from enjoying the game on release and hunting down them NPC's that give leve's and seeing the new cool down SE was talking about and to really start working on my character and not my beta character. I have friends that are goin to be playing also, I'am still goin to play FFXI I only log on Friday and Saturday's for Abyssea Einhenjar and some sky hopefully soon limbus (all over again lol helping newbs of the shell get gears they desired) and on wednesday nights get my character caught up on lvl's or just work on my AF3 so between them times I will be enjoying FFXIV, with alot of others that enjoy the game, There is enough people out there I think that will hold this game and keep it goin specially on release for ps3 that will be a whole new group of people that some will leave and some will stay, but this is my opinion so we willl have to see but I really dought this game will plummet like APB I bought that game and on the first day Iam sorry to say I knew it was going to go down yes it was fun to pick up for a few minutes but the car driving was horrid along with alot of other things I dont even want to mention, the best thing about that game was you can actually were your hat to the side and wear a brown leather jacket with some baggy jeans, and some boots, and be white and actually say iam a gangsta with a AK47 lol.

Posted: Sep 19th 2010 4:52PM (Unverified) said

Christ, that was brutal to read.

Posted: Sep 18th 2010 12:22PM (Unverified) said

I have serious concerns about XIV(no AH, fatigue whatever) but I'm still excited for it. At the very least it's going to be interesting, not the same ole MMO we've seen re-skinned and crashed and burned.

Posted: Sep 18th 2010 12:29PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Well SE did mention they are working on something to help searching bazaar's easier and faster, this is what I think SE wanted the economy to be like which I seen it start to play out towards the middle and end of OB, they want you to actually go out there and advertise your goods you know say Joe was out gathering all day fishing and harvesting and then he heads back to the city to get his goods ready cook's his fish and then uses what he harvested to make cloth etc. after all of that he puts the left overs on his retainer and then goes to a busy part of limsa where people are running through back and forth from the market as he is getting there he is shouting what goods he has to sell and maybe a price for some of his items, when you get there you check his bazaar you see the prices and if you dont like him you make him a offer, yes its alot to do but i think that is what SE wants the economy to be like and then maybe a bit down the road start to introduce the AH again. We will see the game just started all games bite at the start I remember FFXI being a ghost town and waitin days and days for a party that could last one hour to 6 hours sooo you pray its the best set up and the max spot to get the most xp LOL man the days of old school Iam hoping for a great experiance with FFXIV storyline exploreing and all the new zones coming on release and hope to see NM's soon.

Posted: Sep 19th 2010 6:07AM Iraphine said

To be honest, no AH isn't a big deal. We will have those retainers that will be our personal shops, which really brings a form of nostalgia to mind. Trading with one another means more peer to peer interaction, which in my opinion, is a lot more fun. Plus, trading means no nasty AH fees! Although, much like the bazzar in FF11 there will probably be tax, which really means just more PTP trading.

The fatigue system has been explained more in depth, and I think people are learning to embrace it and understand why its in existence. It really isn't the end of the word, and people will be able to level multiple jobs- just like in FF11. Very few people I knew had only 1 level 75 job. In fact, I don't think I can name one person in particular who did. SE is just laying down some order in the experience gain, and putting us on the path we all would take eventually anyway by leveling multiple jobs.

I don't think this game will be a WoW killer. In fact, I know it won't be. WoW has its own charm that can never be replaced, its own unique way if getting things done, and lets face it. Their customer support is dead on. They have a system that no one can knock, and if they do they should be lucky that they don't need to deal with PlayOnline. Seriously.

I myself and sill psyched for XIV. Everyone who comes from Vana'diel, (Myself for over 6 years) who has moaned about 11's graphics, and lack of customization, and horrible grind and force-to-party mechanics.... should feel the way I do about 14. This is a release from that. Embrace it!

Posted: Sep 20th 2010 11:56AM Muu said

bazaars worked so-so in FF11, but to do so for every piece of equip down to the lower-leveled armor will end up being excruciating. Remember how long it took you to track down someone with that unAH-able HNM drop, and how much longer to find one at a decent price? Would you have done that for centurion armor sets?

Doubt p2p shout bazaarring is going to get all that interesting, either -- any attempts to make said advertising interesting will mean people from other locale will have a hard time understanding what you're trying to sell. Shouts will end up being the same mess of [tabbed items] lined up one after another, if at all.

Posted: Sep 18th 2010 12:49PM (Unverified) said

I'm not worried about FFXIV not being a WoW killer. Thats not SE's goal here. They first and formost set out to create a MMO that current FFXI-ers would enjoy into and secondly make a MMO that fans of the Final Fantasy series that never played an MMO coudl ease into.

I've said it before and I'll say it again I think SE accomplished those goals. FFXIV is a pregression of design from FFXI and feels enough like a console RPG that those gamers could still be familiar with it.

As far as longevity. SE is a huge company I don't think they'll close the doors if they can't sustain a million or more subs. FFXIV will probably enjoy a sub base in the 100ks somewhere, thats still a crap load of money coming in each month. You don't need to dethrone WoW to make $$. It's like arguing what system is better Snes or Genesis. They both were awesome, and they both make those companies a ton of cash. So while FFXIV might not enjoy a million billion people jumping around at least the player base that remains will be the ones that enjoy playing the game, not people who stick around because "there's nothing else better out right now" or "waiting for ToR"

With that said I'm looking forward to a nice adventure with FFXIV I have the 22nd - 26th off from work. I'm expecting heavy server traffic the first several hours and maybe some emergency server maint. But what MMO has had a flawless launch? I don't remember one. But thats the excitement of playing launch MMOs, you're on the boarder of a brandnew world to explore and you get to be one of the first!

Posted: Sep 18th 2010 12:49PM (Unverified) said

Hi, this is 2001, I want my mechanics back.

Posted: Sep 18th 2010 12:51PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Disenfranchised? Really?

disenfranchised (adj) 1. deprived of the rights of citizenship especially the right to vote

Posted: Sep 18th 2010 1:20PM (Unverified) said

2. Deprived of power; marginalized

ie: a hard core of kids who are disenfranchised and don't feel connected to the school.

In this case he was using the word "Disenfranchise" to describe how someone might feel that they were marginalized because they were expectations/needs weren't met by FFXIV.

Posted: Sep 18th 2010 1:26PM Birk said

I'm not one to throw snarky comments about lightly, but your use of "disenfranchised" is actually pretty funny.

Essentially, you suggest that fans are going to "fire the game up and [have their homes, land, and freedoms stolen by SOE".

God bless America

-Birk

Posted: Sep 18th 2010 1:29PM Birk said

• 1 heart
@drossrocket: I won't argue semantics further, but I don't believe that's correct in context. The word "disenfranchised" does suggest marginalization, but it is not a synonym. The cheery fellow above you has it right, when he suggests that the marginalization refers to civil liberties and rights.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

-Birk

Posted: Sep 18th 2010 4:17PM Cendres said

–verb (used with object), -chised, -chis·ing.
to deprive (a person) of a right of citizenship, as of the right to vote.
to deprive of a franchise, privilege, or right.

There are 2 definitions --> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/disfranchise

But yeah I think a better word could have been used here, still get what Eliot was trying to say ;)

Posted: Sep 19th 2010 5:41AM (Unverified) said

Lets not forget that communication is encoding your ideas in such away that the intended audience can decode your communication and end up with the original idea that the writer wished to convey.

Elliot did a fine job and I had no problem is grasping the meaning with which he used the word Disenfranchised.

By context it clearly wasn;t refering to civil liberties and if thats what is worrying you then perhaps you need to get a handle on context. Context is equally as important as semantics. There are massess of words which we use daily which through context have changed dramatically in meaning (Artificial and Aweful spring to mind)

Finally, this is a coloumn on gaming, not grammar and the delicacies of the english language.

Posted: Sep 19th 2010 8:35AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
My point is that I believe the word was used in error. The author may have meant disillusioned, dissatisfied, disappointed, or any number of similar words. I don't know and neither do you.

I don't blame the author for this kind of mistake, but I am distinctly unimpressed with the editor who allowed it to be published.

Posted: Sep 18th 2010 1:21PM Vrazule said

All I can say is that I'm so glad I got to try the Beta. Considering how people are peddling this game to everyone and their grandmother, I would have been inclined to fork out the box price only to find out your idea of fun is not even remotely my idea of fun. I'm passing on this software just like I did for FFXI.

Good luck to you and I hope that someone teaches SE that PC gamers prefer to use keyboard and mouse, not stupid console controllers and if they can't be bothered to put out a decent custiomizable interface and control scheme for PC users, then they should stop labeling their games as cross platform.

Posted: Sep 18th 2010 2:07PM (Unverified) said

"Whether or not the game will dethrone World of Warcraft is questionable at best, but the game does have a future."

Haha, this made me laugh. C'mon game in OB state is so user unfriendly and such resource hog that it'll be good if they can get to 200-300k subs. Talking about being major player like WoW is having rose tinted fanboi glasses on Your nose. It's game made by SE for SE fans not general public.

Posted: Sep 18th 2010 3:36PM Abriael said

considering the fact that the game will span across several region and will have two platforms to count on, I would say that your prediction is a gross understatement.

Will it be a WoW-sized player? Nope. It won't. No MMORPG will ever be as the market conditions in which wow launched probably won't repeat.

It will, though, definitely be one of the biggest players in the market, probably overshadowing easily, in therms of subscriptions, most if not all the other MMORPGs launched after wow.

Posted: Sep 18th 2010 2:25PM (Unverified) said

Dey see me killin marmots
Dey hatin

Posted: Sep 18th 2010 3:51PM Dranaerys said

I dont really think the PA defense is applicable to FF14, because the devs keep trying to sell home the fact that tis a game for MMO newbies and casuals.

I contend that such a target is the least appropiate for this game at all.

One Shots: Mandy the Christmas Whale