Posted: Sep 17th 2010 3:12PM (Unverified) said

The game is initially entertaining, but once you realize that you need to grind the same instances over and over and over in order to progress to the next one (that is essentially the same), you realize how it is the perfect trap.

It was developed to perfectly balance how much you need to grind up and slowly you need more and more purchases in order to continue the endless grind up to the next instance.

I would equate this game to Farmville or any of the other browser / facebook games that allow a set amount of turns per day.

In Vindictus, you gain silver coins every Friday and Monday. These coins are needed to access instances, passed the low level intro stuff.

There is a cap on the coins you can carry, this instills the need to use them all ASAP (=play a lot) and then either pay to refill them or wait until they fill again. Rinse and repeat the process of earning / spending them in order to keep your efficiency up.

Anyways, there is more that I could go into... like how it is a huge stretch to call it an mmo.

Once the shiny wears off and you see passed the admittedly fun gameplay, everything becomes stale.

The worst thing is that it's painfully transparent that this game started out with a pay model committee rather than gaming.

Posted: Sep 17th 2010 5:20PM ChaosInc said

Someday people will learn that MMO is NOT the same as MMORPG. The game is, in fact, an MMO by definition. So is Unreal Tournament. And Farmville. Just because it doesn't have hogger doesn't mean it doesn't qualify.

Posted: Sep 17th 2010 3:49PM Halldorr said

What's the definition of an MMO because I certainly don't consider Farmville an MMO.

Posted: Sep 17th 2010 4:33PM Cristiano Cenizo said

Basic gist of an MMO, per Wikipedia:

"A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet, and feature at least one persistent world. They are, however, not necessarily games played on personal computers.

MMOGs can enable players to cooperate and compete with each other on a large scale, and sometimes to interact meaningfully with people around the world. They include a variety of gameplay types, representing many video game genres."

Posted: Sep 17th 2010 3:18PM Cristiano Cenizo said

Well, for what it's worth, here are 2 friend codes for beta that I forgot about. Please reply to this comment with the code you use so other readers know it has been picked up.

469A8D1AFB33499EBC60

EBB925A9CF0B45F2AAA3

Posted: Sep 17th 2010 3:25PM OmegaDestroyer said

I tried to download the client 5 times yesterday. Huge waste of time. At 99% I got error messages.

I have a beta key but any interest in the game I've had is pretty much gone now.

Posted: Sep 17th 2010 3:52PM DevilSei said

you can try the manual downloader if you are getting that issue from the East-West servers button.

Posted: Sep 17th 2010 8:56PM (Unverified) said

EBB925A9CF0B45F2AAA3

Thanks a lot hopefully it still works

Posted: Sep 17th 2010 3:32PM kjhasdfjkhk said

Every time I seem to want to play, either the servers are down or there are problems with the game, like it kicks me out when I try to go on a boat, or my inventory wont load. Still quite buggy but I think a lot of that has to do with the sheer number of people in the beta.

The game is fun, but its lack of classes at launch are going to be its downfall. 5 is fine, but 2 is not, particularly when they are so similar. The game is also very grindy, although a lot of the grinding is by choice and not required.

Posted: Sep 17th 2010 3:54PM DevilSei said

Yeah, the closed beta only had a few hiccups here and there, and with everyone getting 2 keys to give out for this early open, which in turn give out 2 more keys, and yadda yadda, not all that surprised.

And Once the game hits Open Beta, they'll add in the Mage/Melee character Evy. They are also hoping to catch us up with Mabinogi Heroes as quick as possible.

Posted: Sep 17th 2010 3:57PM (Unverified) said

1582732F401B4525B9E8

3FB4447BDE3644AFBDFC

Posted: Sep 17th 2010 4:10PM DraneceusRex said

I've been playing over the past 2 days, and have been having a blast. I've gotten a Fiona to 10 even with all the instabilities. As noted, the gameplay is great, and I'm intrigued with the mechanics, especially after a few boss battles ending with my armor in tatters.

They've done a great job with the Source engine, and the shiny on the characters, NPCs, and the destruction physics are impressive. On the other hand, I'm having Counterstrike flashbacks from the dungeon environments of the Perilous Ruins.

I'd also love to see what they could have done with a full world environment, and I wonder how long till I'm sick of the town/lobby and dungeon system.

I think this will keep me good for a long while on a desire for sword and fantasy action, as more scifi MMOs are released in the future, especially that it's ftp.

I'd suggest everyone to give it a try, if you can get a key. The tutorial itself is great, and a must do experience.

Posted: Sep 17th 2010 4:38PM (Unverified) said

I started playing this last night, but unfortunately only had time to get through the prologue. That, however, was a crazy amount of fun. The action is slick and fast-paced. Generally, fun.

It's not every day you get to kick enemies off rafters to their certain doom while carrying an unconscious damsel (I didn't realize I could just put her down with the space bar until later).

Can't wait to have some more time with it over the weekend.

Posted: Sep 17th 2010 6:46PM ChaosInc said

Wait, you can put her down? Dammit I musta missed that pop-up in the tutorial. :s

Posted: Sep 17th 2010 8:40PM alinos said

stupid misleading site

NA, Can and oceanic can play

except Australia is IP blocked

Posted: Sep 17th 2010 8:40PM alinos said

btw im complaing about nexon here :D

Posted: Sep 18th 2010 1:37AM VioletArrows said

Finally got my account working 2 days later (Oh NoScript you scamp, quit it.) Here's a referral code, I'll see if my bf wants the other; if not, I'll post the other Sunday.

A5E527BADBDB40D08C3F

I think I'll be leaving this download on all night. XP No idea why I thought I'd be playing any time soon.

Posted: Sep 18th 2010 10:12AM OmegaDestroyer said

Thanks for the info. :)

Posted: Sep 18th 2010 10:14PM fatpanda said

wait what game is that in the pre-recorded video linked too? It sure doesn't look like Vindictus OR LOTRO...looks cool though...please what is it!

Posted: Sep 19th 2010 1:04AM VioletArrows said

The one I'm looking at is the WoW beta. I swear it was something else yesterday.

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM