Posted: Sep 16th 2010 7:13PM AlluvianEstEndrati said

"Stahl admits that the team doesn't have the resources to beef up the Klingon side to be on par with the Federation, especially since only a fraction of the playerbase fight on that side."

True... and one of the really good reasons only a fraction of the playerbase play as Klingons is because they have such a limited set of content. Comparisons to monster play from LotRO still seem apt. Hard to imagine they were even thinking of adding Romulans or some other faction unless they are willing to work on the existing faction that really needs it.

Of course this is the result many folk predicted prior to launch, that the Klingons would be an underdeveloped faction and never have the same breadth of content as the Federation.

Posted: Sep 16th 2010 7:22PM smg77 said

They should work on making the game actually feel like Star Trek and stop finding more and more ways to nickel and dime their customers to death.

I'm so tired of game developers who think by slapping a ST label on every piece of crap game they can become rich. Be true to the IP, make the game fun and *then* count all the money.

Posted: Sep 16th 2010 7:22PM Deadalon said

WOW - fraction plays Klingons that have no content? Smart man...

Now....

Which came first ....

The content - or the players ?

Posted: Sep 16th 2010 7:54PM SocksForYou said

• 1 heart
Poor Klangons

So what have they been doing with all of the revenue from box/digital sales, lifetime subs, monthly subs, microtransactions, etc.? Especially if there's a "healthy subscriber base."

Posted: Sep 16th 2010 9:59PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Romulans now!!!

Posted: Sep 16th 2010 10:18PM XOR said

every time I read something "new" they're doing ....the more disgusted I feel by their approach.

"especially since only a fraction of the playerbase fight on that side"

Yeah man, it's fun being a Klingon for about 25-minutes, then you've realized there's no content and go back to Feds. Cryptic probably hired consultants to tell them that developing Klingon content is "unnecessary."

Posted: Sep 17th 2010 12:35AM JediPagan said

Is STO any good? Has the game improved quite a bit since launch?

Posted: Sep 17th 2010 9:49AM JustPlainJim said

You'll find a lot of people here that will rant for hours about how terrible STO is.
I try to be a bit more fair and point out the high points as well...

If you're a Trekkie already, you'll probably enjoy it. Especially if you're more of a fan of the movies. I ended my sub shortly before they added the diplomatic missions and before that it was a very combat-heavy MMO. Ground combat was nothing special, aside from your away team meant you always had 5 people on your side (even if the AI was kinda dumb at times). I personally loved the space combat; I haven't seen anything like it in any other MMO I've played.

Some people will say it's nothing compared to EvE and I'd agree. I found it a lot easier to pick up and play.

However, a lot of the missions were really repetative. it doesn't help that for eah cluster of levels, you're fighting the same enemies thw whole way.

I enjoyed it, but my friends couldn't get into it... so I dropped it and went back to other games, but I think it's definitely worth trying out.

Posted: Sep 17th 2010 1:16AM Bezza said

Cause and Effect... come on Stahl, use the grey matter in your skull people don't continue to play Klingon because they soon reach the great wall of no content and realise there is no point. Didn'y Stahl say this was somthnig he recognised needed to be addressed when he took over? Now he's admitting the team doesnt have the resources to do it.

Try taking the developers away from stupid fluff projects like costumes and emotes and other such unessisary c-store items and actually make some content, or speed up the introduction of user generated content.

Cryptic, proving every day that the cryptic haters were right all along, this is what happens when you make 1/3 of a MMO and release it as a finished title.

Posted: Sep 17th 2010 2:54AM (Unverified) said

Too little, too late. Another "Ask Cryptic" propaganda speech promising the world. Yawn.

I'm tired of hearing the same boring lines over and over again. If they'd actually keep their promises, I'd still be playing. I even considered it, waiting to see how things would play out. But alas, the same promises, broken over and over. They promised no exclusive, unobtainable in game C-store items that effect game play, yet they throw unique $25 ships in . More klingon content, which always fails to appear in said quantity. More ways to play, which always fall flat. A dozen legacy systems to visit, which are nearly devoid of anything to do. I've never seen space made so small.

I appreciate a game company fixing their mistakes, but they've made so many, they'll be backlogged playing catchup for the next two years. Maybe I'll come back to visit then.

Posted: Sep 17th 2010 6:06AM dudes said

Klingon faction tiny and dying out? It is a good day to die! Prepare for ramming speed!

Posted: Sep 17th 2010 10:28AM Tom in VA said

Once Cryptic introduces a mission architect system into STO as they did in CoH, I think there will very quickly be plenty of mission/PvE content for both Federation and Klingon players.

Much of the player-created content in CoH was garbage, admittedly, but enough of it was good and rose to the top, so to speak, to make the feature incredibly worthwhile.

I think adding this into STO is going to result in a substantially better game, since it will address the lack-of-content issue head on.

Posted: Sep 17th 2010 11:33AM cray said

I don't think Cryptic was the one that introduced the mission architect system in CoH, that was Paragon Studios.

Posted: Sep 17th 2010 11:52AM DevilSei said

Yeah, Cryptic left faaaaar before the Architect system was implemented for CoH, that was all Paragon Studios doing.

Though don't ask cryptic that question, they might try to say they left the framework there in the first place.

Posted: Sep 17th 2010 12:27PM Phone Guy said

That is my favorite misconception about the Mission Architect. True Paragon studio's "created" it. What is false though is that it had nothing to do with cryptic. The interface they use to create missions was originally a developer tool. It was designed shortly after the release of City of Heroes and allowed very quick creation of missions and arcs. After the separation of Cryptic and NCsoft, Some guys at Paragon got a good idea. They stripped down the tool removing some unnecessary functions and released it as the Architect Entertainment.

Matt Miller confirmed the tool existed shortly after the release of CoH in his original interviews before the AE was released. On Cyrptic's side of things, the development team confirmed the tool, in a newer incarnation exists but implementing in game is something they will have to take into consideration. They apparently are trying to avoid some of the similar pitfalls encountered by Paragon.

From what I understand though, they are overhauling the tool on a fundamental level for STO.

Posted: Sep 23rd 2010 10:22AM Valdamar said

Actually mission architect WAS a new system created by Paragon/NC NorCal, after Cryptic sold the game - Matt Miller confirmed it. Paragon (I think they were still NC NorCal at that stage) created mission architect for their own use as an easier/faster way to create content, because in the Cryptic era all missions were written using a scripting language that only dedicated content creators understood.

Architect would mean that any member of the Dev Team with spare time could create missions/arcs - which was useful because at that time there were only 15 Devs working on CoH, as Cryptic had pulled the rest of the Devs across to work on MUO (which became CO) before they sold CoH (and the NorCal studio) to NCSoft. Of course Miller realised players could make good use of the architect too and that was when they tidied it up for release.

Posted: Sep 19th 2010 11:05PM (Unverified) said

You know, maybe its because I could never get into the more complex MMOs, but I think that its STO's simplicity that keeps me coming back each day. I love the character creation, I don't think the mission structure is that bad, I love the space combat, and (gasp!) I really don't think they botched ground combat as much as people say they did.

Could the Klingons use work? Sure. Could the game use some more pacifistic gameplay for the people who don't like constantly blowing stuff to bits? Maybe.

The only thing that really bugs me is the amount of ridiculous stuff in the C-Shop. Ships should be earnable through gameplay, and I think the extra races should be available to all, even though their effect on gameplay is miniscule.

But really? And maybe this is because I'm only just now starting to get into Star Trek, but I really enjoy STO. Its something different from the standard Tolkein affair.

If Cryptic truly delivers these changes, bravo. If not? Well...I'm okay with it.

Global Chat: Blaugust triumphant