Posted: Sep 16th 2010 12:48PM Ocho said

Nice. I may give this a shot now... we'll see how it turns out...

Posted: Sep 16th 2010 12:55PM ed anger said

so... how will they be making money? what will be in the cash shop?

Posted: Sep 16th 2010 1:23PM (Unverified) said

I subbed to this game for about three months last year. I share the feelings of others on this page; I like the game, but it was just not worth the monthly fee. The biggest thing the game lacked was players, so this will be a huge boost! Levelling was very lonely...

I can't wait to dust off my max-level naval officer and dive back into this world.

Posted: Sep 16th 2010 2:16PM Tom in VA said

That's basically how I felt about Tabula Rasa. It, too, was a good game but -- definitely -- not worth the subscription price they were charging. I wish it had been given a F2P chance.

At the time, though, the switch to F2P was not even a consideration (that was back before before DDO when F2P, I believe).

Anyways, the news about PotBS makes me hopeful that decent games that over-reach themselves (i.e., by charging premium subscriptions for substandard games) and thus (doh!) flounder and/or fail, will be able to have a chance at survival and success by going F2P. I am not interested in PotBS particularly, but I do wish them well.

My hope for the next P2P-to-F2P switch? STO. :-)

Posted: Sep 16th 2010 2:09PM Sonoran said

I played PotBS for quite a while and I agree the ship combat is unique in a lot of ways: First there's a player community of dedicated naval historians who research 17th century ship designs and then make the ships in the game. I.e. they are models of actual 17th century ships and their gun compliments are too.
Secondly ship combat is really complex and strategic with blocking, focus fire, line tactics, maneuvability and damage to sub-systems (hull, sails crew) all playing a big role many of the battles. Also combinations of different careers and different type of ship make a real difference in how battle groups work.

The economy in the game is good, it's not the best I've seen and not the worst but it suits the game well and it's fun to play.

The mechinics of port contention and RvR have just been upgraded with Power and Prestige so the end-game is pretty nice.

The warts on this game have always been avatar combat, repetetive uninspired PvE quests and a little lack of polish. But with FtP it's definitely worth a look.

Posted: Sep 16th 2010 3:44PM SkuzBukit said

ARR I be lookin' fo'ward to tryin' this out.

I votes for Vanguard to be walked off the Plank an' be made F2p too.

*swigs rum*

Posted: Sep 16th 2010 7:18PM smg77 said

Another SOE station pass game, another failure. PotBS could have been a good game but as soon as FLS jumped on the SOE failtrain I knew it wouldn't be successful.

Let this be a warning to other developers looking to suck up to Smedley.

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 10:24PM (Unverified) said

except that you're completely wrong, as you would know if you read comments. soe has no dev or game input on this game, its a SOE game only because they use SOE to collect the fees and to distribute it, its independantly developed and run.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 2:30AM smg77 said

People used to say the exact same thing about Vanguard.

Face it, SOE has the reverse Midas' Touch...everything they touch turns to crap.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2010 6:47PM (Unverified) said

well i got the collectors edition way back when i came out, it was awesome, but it soon became slightly deserted on my server, and was hard to buy materials, so i quit. might start playing again tho if it truely is f2p soon.

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014