Posted: Sep 14th 2010 4:28PM mttgamer said

Thank you for featuring my story along with all the other wonderful stories! I enjoyed recalling it just as much as when I experienced it. Anarchy Online was one of the first MMO's I truely enjoyed....and then the devil known as World of Warcraft sucked me in heh. Luckily that devil has released my soul and I search for a new game that entails the epicness of Anarchy Online once again!

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 8:35PM (Unverified) said

Thank you for using my letter as a rebuttal to Gaute Godager. Some of us hated Shadowlands. Many felt that it destroyed the game experience. It was a Fantasy expansion to a Sci-Fi game. It totally did not fit the IP and ruined immersion through gating the content.

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 10:50PM (Unverified) said

AO was my first MMO , which I enjoyed for over 4 years. It will always be my true home, even though I have visited many other worlds. I sometimes log into my froob account and wonder if I should stay on Rubi-Ka again. Maybe it is time to come home...

Posted: Sep 15th 2010 12:04AM (Unverified) said

I'm not good at comments so I'll let my video speak for myself.

AO for life!

Posted: Sep 15th 2010 2:46AM (Unverified) said

AO contained most of my fondest memories of MMO gaming (I'm well aware that I am blithely forgetting the bad ;p ). Those were the days when grouping was essentially mandatory, forming the basis for a player community that at least pretended to act like fully functional human beings (sort of like how real life works!). Ah the memories of gaming the implant system, and scoffing at how....dumbified other MMOs (not that there were many others heh). The soul shriveling up when that great evil known as Gaute gave us Shadowlands, which dumbed down the game (in his defense, I understand why; to open to a broader audience-but I didn't have to like it).

Looking for groups and all the friends I made over those agonizing 200 levels of looking for said groups. Being the second Omni-Tek MP to hit 200....several months (hell, I think it was closer to half a year; was a long time ago) after release. Ah the days when instant gratification and MMOs didn't go hand in hand. Seething hatred of the hippies who played Clan. The sexiest avatars in MMOs for a long time, and still pretty high on the list, even by current gen standards.

The people I met and befriended in the days when we made friends playing MMOs, rather then playing MMOs only with our friends.

Tarasque battles against the hippy Clan! Wildwal's ubiqutious afro! Players actually having black characters! Fixers as tanks!

One of the BEST communities. You know, before people went commercial with crud like all the database sites for WoW. While I detested Jayde as a person and player, people like him and Dovve and multitudes more who's names I've long forgotten helped to make the best MMO community of its time! Chatbots! Some woman who's name started with an A (god this was like a lifetime ago) and her bots that let us play games against each other to liven up waiting for spawns!

The early attempts at GM-mediated story events and the incredible lore in the early days of the game (removing the great Ragner from any real role was the very first "I hate you Guate" move in my "I hate you Gaute" memoirs).

Gods, I could write pages and pages about the greatest MMO ever, and certainly the ONLY sci-fi MMO ever done well (sorry, I don't consider mining-rocks-in-space aka let's-play-stare-at-my-warp-drive-for-70%-of-my-game-time an MMO, or even a game you EVEettes-though you all do have a pretty kicking radio station/djs).

Sadly, I left a few months after Shadowlands and outside of a few good months in classic WoW (yes, it hurts to admit it, but there was a time when I enjoyed WoW), can't say I've had much fun in an MMO since. Yet, like a fool, I keep trying the next "best thing", in a vain hope to recapture that feeling I had when I first logged on to AO and found myself completely immersed simply walking through the streets of Omni-1.

Will companies ever go back to making intelligent games, or is the quest for the all-mighty dollar so strong that we will be stuck with packaged garbage spewn out as fast as possible with no real intent at long term survival (just box sales-here's looking at you Cryptic, #1 culprit)? My money is on the latter, but I'm getting pretty old which tends to have a direct relationship to increased cynicism, so who knows! ;p

Posted: Sep 15th 2010 6:18AM (Unverified) said

I was running around in Inferno last night, I was greeted by the Lord of the Void and promptly got sent back to Omni-HQ for a Reclaim...

The music started playing...

I thought back to when I first heard the music for the Omni cities... and remembered how the days were much better than they are now.

Anarchy Online. Still Alive.

My first true MMO and gaming addiction. 6 years gone... countless other MMOs... but Rubi-Ka will always be my true home.

Someone already said it, but I'll say it again.

AO for Life.

Posted: Sep 16th 2010 4:23AM (Unverified) said

Ahhh... AO. What a game. I'm almost inspired to re-download it to wallow in nostalgia for a while.

Brilliant background, atmospheric world, fantastic community and GMs that responded to player action. It was the first and the best.

And whilst I loved Shadowlands for its vision and cohesive art, the gated content let it down.

Still, fond fond memories.

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 2:44PM NickJames said

Nothing will ever compare to my experience in AO. It is the pinnacle of the MMO sci-fi genre, it has outlasted so many generations and it continues to be one of those games that I love despite it's bugs or it's horrible managment and employees. Yes I am talking to you Genevra.

Betawatch: August 23 - 29, 2014