Posted: Sep 14th 2010 3:21PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
The more and more I read about this game the more concerned I get. I was all about hailing it the WoW killer. I know I know very premature. Regardless the more I read the more it sounds like plain old Knights of the Old Republic. Sure those games were absolutely great but they were not MMO's. I'm very worried that this is basically going to be Co-op Knights of the Old Republic 3-4 and that Bioware is just going to label it an MMO so you pay 50 bucks up front and 15 more bucks a month.

Please God let me be wrong.

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 3:30PM Nickelpat said

-sigh-

It will be an MMO. It will have an open world with quests much like WoW or LOTRO. It will not be instance ala Guild Wars. Are we good now? It will have the fully open world like any other MMO. They talked about this at, if I remember, E3.

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 3:55PM Distaste said

@Nickleplat

Not really considering that we have absolutely no idea if there is any incentive/punishment to group at all or how group friendly the world will actually be. The one good thing about traditional MMO's is that everyone can do all the same quests. In SWTOR you'll have everyone doing different quests which means that grouping to accomplish a common goal isn't nearly as easy.

"Hey want to group?"
"Sorry my smuggler quest is to the west"
"Oh well my trooper quest is in the Northeast".
"Later"

Yes there are world arcs but how many of the quests are in that category will strongly impact how many and how often people group for them.

Now if you look at something like GW2 where they are basically making everyone grouped but not grouped. They give everyone credit for what they do and reward everyone equally. This way there is no punishment and this leaves only positives for grouping(communication, coordination, etc).

So really a fully open world doesn't mean that this game will feel open world. Imagine WoW, where people rarely grouped except for instances, with everyone having completely different quests and imagine how many groups you'll see.

I think grouping in SWTOR will feel like it's slowing your progression way down and be a true test of endurance & patience.

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 5:37PM breezer said

I think an important general lesson from the world of MMOs is to not get your hopes up about upcoming releases. Period. This is a lesson that many of us have learned the hard way over recent years.

No matter what they say, no matter how sure you are that you're going to fall head over heels in love with a game, you really can't know until you play it.

Also keep in mind, the higher your hopes, the more likely you are to be disappointed.

Posted: Sep 15th 2010 5:53AM Evilgm said

Personally the idea of multiplayer KOTOR sounds great to me, especially with the constant expansion inherent in an MMO.

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 10:31PM Saker said

breezer said it perfectly!

Posted: Sep 15th 2010 2:44AM (Unverified) said

I would agree with Breezer here that getting your hopes too high can be, and generally is, an opener for disappointment. Yet i think worse than that is the fact that some people tend to not understand what kind of game it will be, and get disappointed because the game is so different from what they were expecting. As i have stated in previous posts there seems to be a lot of misconceptions about TOR. Take Robert's post for instance:

"I was all about hailing it the WoW killer."

Wrong. I can guarantee Robert WILL be disappointed with the game. It is definately not a WoW-killer nor does it try to be. And just as Robert a lot of people are getting worried because it is sounding different from the conventional MMO formula. In short, i think this game will be most appreciated by people who go for it in a non-wow state of mind, it is meant to be played in a immersive kind of way: get lost in the world and the story, explore and learn about the different areas, listen to what NPC's have to say and get to know that universe. The key word her is immersion, and you can't say the developers aren't being clear about it: "First and foremost we want people to feel immersed in the world of Star Wars: The Old Republic."

So basically what im trying to say is that the key to not get disappointed with a game is understanding what it's all about, what is the target audience and if you fit in it. I don't know if the game is gonna be good or not, if it will succeed in its premise, but i do know what they are trying to do interests me and is what i' looking for in game at this time. I can almost guarantee those expecting a new WoW will be very disappointed.

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 3:36PM SocksForYou said

Nickel: so the areas of each planet will be seamless? This is one of my biggest concerns. And does anyone know if there will be different "channels" or zones within each area?

I like large, contiguous MMO worlds.

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 3:49PM Triskelion said

Wake me when the beta starts, 2+ years of hype is starting to get on my nerves.

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 3:50PM Larry Everett said

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 3:51PM Triskelion said

LOLOLOLOL...... okay, waker me when the Open Beta starts.

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 4:02PM kjhasdfjkhk said

Sigh. Again, no talk at all about gameplay and combat. Why is it that every preview I read just talks about dialog? Since when was THAT the deciding factor of whether an MMO is good or not? There are plenty of awesome MMOs out there with no talking whatsoever. Dialog is not a core mechanic in an MMO. Sure, it can add to the game and make it more interesting and immersive, but it should never be the main pillar of an MMO. The game should be able to stand on its own without the dialog, only THEN should it be added into the equation to boost the game. But from what I've seen and from previews like this, there is nothing special about the game whatsoever outside of the dialog.

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 4:17PM (Unverified) said

There are ALOT of people that will completely disagree with that. If a game's world and atmosphere don't intrest me at all then it could have the best mechanics in the world and I would still play for a month or so at most, and dialogue goes a very long way when it come to creating that atmosphere and showing you that world.

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 4:52PM Brianna Royce said

Hi kjhasdfjkhk,

Larry *specifically* said in his column above that he was trying to focus on new things and things we hadn't already previously covered in our hands-on at E3. Perhaps you should look at our earlier article for info on combat and flow:

-Bree

Posted: Sep 15th 2010 2:50AM (Unverified) said

"Why is it that every preview I read just talks about dialog? Since when was THAT the deciding factor of whether an MMO is good or not?"

You still don't get it. This game is not for you, let it go. :)

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 5:13PM (Unverified) said

Ok Guys here let me tell you.

- This will be a VERY large open MMO world (Bigger than WoW)

- and its going to be a sick game(in a good way)

BUT it may be "a wow with lightsabers" but i am looking forward to the storyline and lore in the game.

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 4:26PM (Unverified) said

Actually, these two playtester reports have some great information in them about gameplay, combat, grouping and the (starter) world and such:

Some quotes from them:

-Going in and out of instanced areas was again very seamless. Obviously no loading screens help with that but, I ALWAYS felt like I was in the MMO world and never like I was in my own personal instance (even though at times I was). This game gave me a feeling of “on the other side of that wall there could be something going on with other players”. This is good news for anyone who was hoping for that big living world feeling, which a lot of MMO’s have strayed from lately.

-Overall, this play session taught me that SWTOR really is an MMO, and not a single-player game. We were able to group together from the very start of the game and start adventuring together through quests and we could explore all over the place together. Let me assure all of you that this game is an MMO.. I know there has been a lot of concern about that, and I think that most of those concerned people will be very satisfied once they get their hands on the game.

The UI is a lot like WoW as are the movements, so you can just sit down and instantly play the game without feeling unfamiliar or at a loss what to do or press. Of course being a sci-fi MMO and a new MMO they had the opportunity to have several improvements.

Gameplay wise the first thing that really surprised me was that combat felt very smooth and right/nice. You don't really notice it until you get to play but it's smooth, you're always busy fighting and not just standing still waiting on or casting skills, even with the 3 abilities I had. I think a large part of this is due to the fact several abilities can be fired while moving.

Posted: Sep 15th 2010 12:39AM (Unverified) said

Nice links

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 5:04PM Lateris said

On a positive note- I like what I read about the quests, especially about putting the RPG back in MMO's. The videos I have watched for the ground game makes me jones for hands on with the combat system. It looks really smooth.

When you played the smuggler content when slicing does it make you really feel the part? Slicers were my favorite part of the expanded universe.

(Better V?)

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 5:07PM MrGutts said

The Sith is not a class, they are a Race..