Posted: Sep 14th 2010 6:01PM (Unverified) said

Been playing open beta since it started (for about 3-4 hours day), and loving it. It's definitely not a game for everyone, but by no means it's a horrible game that people who have no interest in it made it out to be.

For people who hate it, we know, we know. Move along and don't waste your time reading and commenting. Your lives will be better with one less internet argument, trust me.

For people who might be interest in playing, but have no idea about this game, let me try to give guidance (although the best thing to do is to play the open beta - available until the 19th):

If you ever a Final Fantasy game then chances are you'll like this game and it'll grow on you. If you ever played and loved FFXI, then quirkiness and weird nuances will be nothing new, and you'll grow to love it.

Keep in mind that SE is a Japanese development company that focuses on developing for consoles, so that's a double whammy against Western PC gamers.

So if you're totally dead set against using a gamepad, I would stay away. Although half the people in my linkshell use keyboard control and they have no issue with it.

If you're MMO experience is of the WoW-type standpoint, then the vastly different UI/control of FFXIV might be too much of a system shock for you to enjoy.

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 8:39PM Its Utakata stupid said

I think there's a misunderstanding of many of the criticisms of games. That is, because we ctiticize it, does not mean we actually hate it. We all don't live in Abriael's narrow world view of things.

Conversly, we criticize it, because we likely want to see it suceed. Because there really needs to be a new MMO out their that takes off, as the current ones are getting stagnant and/or haven't lived up to our expectations. We don't expect the game to be perfect either. But being released without needless baggage and technical issues would be a good start. It's not an unreasonable thing to ask.

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 6:30PM breezer said

lol SE noobs.

This is a company that refuses to have official community forums. I'd go right on ahead and read into that fact because it's exactly representative of the company's attitude towards their customers as a whole: We don't care about anything you have to say and we certainly don't care to say anything to you."

I admit, I'm impressed that they budged on the guildleves thing and are implementing a hardware mouse. And I'm 100% sure it has more to do with the game's reputation and moving boxes than it does improving the player experience. (also, it's not unusual for "planned" changes to never be mentioned again, or be implemented differently than suggested with absolutely no mention from SE).

Before the alpha/beta, I gave SE the benefit of the doubt that maybe they realized they need to update their development style in ALL departments. Just from the way FFXIV has been designed, it's clear their heads are still firmly up their own asses.

People will love FFXIV (the way they loved FFXI) regardless of what SE thinks of them, but this is just my cynical word of warning to those who are expecting a transparant, communicative and responsive development team.

SE does what SE wants. Period.

Posted: Sep 15th 2010 4:45AM Addfwyn said

To be fair, just about every company does what it does to move boxes, most don't really care about the end-user. I'm sure some the developers have pride in their work, but as a company they ALL just want to sell more products.

Also, SE's community relations can't be too bad if they are taking all the feedback from the beta and actually implementing a lot of it. Granted, as you said they aren't doing it for the customer but rather for profit. But sometimes the result is roughly the same. I'm actually surprised [pleasantly] but how much they seem to have listened to issues people had during beta.

Posted: Sep 15th 2010 3:22AM (Unverified) said

I'm so happy to read these pre-release notes. Here's to hoping that the important ones (leve timers, hardware mouse... etc) are live at launch. Seems I'll be keeping my pre-order!

Faith in humanity +1

Posted: Sep 15th 2010 7:57PM (Unverified) said

Actually, hardware mouse is already implemented in the client. Inexplicably, it is just disabled and requires some third-party hacks/programs to enable. So, I'd be fairly confident that it'll be there for release. No, no one really knows why SE has it disabled, but after my experience with FF 11 and Japanese companies and their PC games, I'm pretty sure SE-and Japan in general-is on a completely different page when it comes to the PC experience.

As for the "haters"...well, I've told my friends this is essentially FF 11 with prettier graphics. Most of them hated the menu-driven gameplay of FF 11, so I've recommended they don't get heartburn over wanting FF 14 to be different, because no amount of stated changes to the game will change the fact it's a prettier FF 11 with the same menu-driven gameplay.

Would I buy and play this game if I was approaching it as an actual MMO? No. I'm not a huge fan either of menu-driven gameplay in an MMO-setting, but I approach the game more as a traditional FF console game without emphasizing the MMO part. If it can entertain me for a few months as I slowly work through the story arcs, then it'll be money well spent; especially after how badly my soul was crushed at FF 13's awful story to the point where I'm THIS close to not being excited at all for any future "single-player" FF games for the first time in the 2+ decades this franchise has entertained me from before I even knew what a pubic hair was to today. It's how I approached FF 11 despite absolutely hating the interface, and it's the same way I'll approach 14 as the story elements I've seen so far strongly encourage me that it's the good team of FF story-writers at SE working on this game as opposed to the mental rejects who worked on 13 (and 10-hell, I bet if I googled this I'd find 10 and 13 shared much of the same staff).

And yea, the trailer was great, even if not remotely indicative of actual combat. ;p I'll be there on launch to actually have people to play with as I progress through the story arcs! :)

Posted: Sep 16th 2010 5:37AM Purkit said

Nice list of updates, but until all the changes are in open beta they are just words. I suspect with a week to go before launch we aren't going to see many of these implemented, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

As for haters and fanboys, there will always be people that love a game, no matter how bad it is. There will be others that hate a game, no matter how good it is. People have different priorities and tastes and that's what makes the world an interesting place. Saying all that I hate the word 'hater', its a way to justify other peoples legitimate, if negative, arguments about a game without having to justify why those people are wrong. Lazy thinking in my opinion.

Make My MMO: October 19 - 25, 2014