Posted: Sep 13th 2010 4:50AM (Unverified) said

Wait a minute, something doesn't seem right here. Let me get this straight, "Scott" needed to sell a control tower with the estimated worth of 320 million + ISK. But the guy does it in a hurry and hits the first bid he sees on the market order screen. Only, "Zeeqo" (the bidder) put in a price that was a tiny fraction of that.

What I don't get is, despite Zeeqo putting in an extremely low bid, the bid was still legitimate. You're allowed to put in whatever you want, it doesn't mean you'll get a response unless it was a pure market order. Now Zeeqo can claim it was "Market PVP" but in reality all he did was get lucky with a low bid. But still the bid was legit.

Scott, from what I can tell, was the one that screwed up and phucked over his corpmates, not Zeeqo. The latter was just playing the market, Scott was just sloppy. Where does it say that if you sold it at a price far below market, that the bidder has to refund the money? Zeeqo's not a genius, but Scott really seems to be the jerk here.

The only way, and I'm not sure how, Scott could have a legitimate beef is if it was some sort of contract where instead of pure isk placed into the contract in escrow, it was in the form of an item. That the item was fraudulently valued, or not even the same item, assuming it was placed in a secure container. For example, a series of BPOs said to be in the container worth 320M isk, but in reality it's nothing more than a ton of Quafe.

Like I said, if it's a market order, then it's legit.

Posted: Sep 13th 2010 7:20AM Swyyw said

It can be legitimate, and still be a scam (not a very elaborate one, I admit). Those are not contradictory, so I don't really understand your argument there. However, I agree that Scott was probably more angry at himself than at Zeeqo when he embarked on his crusade...

Posted: Sep 19th 2010 8:29AM (Unverified) said

Wery nice story can't wait till second part...

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 3:29PM (Unverified) said

Trader JB is correct, the author here is painting Scott and company as "victims" who are executing righteous vengeance. However, the reality is really that both sides are wrong. In fact, I'd even say that Scott and company are MORE "wrong" from a healthy "hey we're playing a game" mindset.

Eve scams like this would be like "Hey the rival football team cheated and got away with it and we lost the game! To get revenge we are going to infiltrate the football program at their high school and cause the school to lose its insurance and they'll have to cancel the athletics program! We win!"

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 7:06PM (Unverified) said

And also, did Zeeqo really "cheat"? I still would like to know how it's a scam to put in an extremely low price on an item and then have the seller sell it to me at that price? For example, say Trit is going for 3isk in a region, but I put in a bid for 1isk. Now someone like Scott comes in and unloads his Trit because he's in a hurry to make some quick isk for his corp and puts out a pure market order, then it's his fault that he gets a crappy price and I got extremely lucky getting the Trit at 1 isk/unit. Don't get me wrong, I've seen contract scams before, and if thats what it is, different story. But this looks like a market screw up by the seller.

I agree with Eliezer, it seems that Scott is more in the wrong.

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 7:08PM (Unverified) said

BTW, I'm also Trader JB above, I don't know why it used one name and then another.

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 7:29PM Brendan Drain said

I'd have to agree with that. Although in the story I was keen to justify Scott's initial response, this is definitely a case where revenge over someone being rude (moreso than the market blunder itself) was taken way too far. I had the same reaction when I was told the story myself, and that over-reaction definitely became more apparent as time went on and Scott got even deeper into the realm of criminality. In part 2 (which will be out on Sunday at 6PM as usual), you'll see how far that over-reaction goes and the personal consequences for Scott.

Posted: Sep 15th 2010 10:05AM (Unverified) said

There is a fault in the logic. Scott was careless on the market so Zeeqo must pay for it with his money and his pod? Cmon! I say Scott is an agressive, backstabber little git.

Posted: Sep 15th 2010 3:25PM (Unverified) said

nice article. awaiting part 2.
although i'd never thought 300 mln could be such a strong motivation for revenge in such a way )