Posted: Sep 11th 2010 3:15PM tchuks said

I agree with your 2nd point "Not the favorite son". There are a couple of people that do start the game new every month, either people returning from a 2-3 year hiatus or really new people that have no idea what the game is about. If the first 30 levels can be made easier to level, people can start to experience the real content of the game. Once people get a taste of FFXI end-game they will be hooked. Right now the problem is that it takes 6months-1year for a new player to get there. For a game that has so much to do with the end-game, it's easy to forget that a new player might try the game and quit way before they experience any of the good stuff.

It would give S-E a huge bonus to make it easier to see the content at higher levels. Who knows maybe these people will play FFXIV and FFXI at the same time with the lower subscription cost, or stick with FFXI if there is enough to do. There is no reason to slow down the leveling process anymore, so much of the game happens at level 75 and after now. Try making a new toon and leveling up and ranking up all over again without talking to your old friends/linkshells, you will see it's VERY difficult to get passed level 15. Most of the people don't have to worry about leveling up on their own, but a BRAND new player trying to see what FFXI is about will have to go through it.

People will argue that "level sync" can now make it so you can party at any level, which is true. But several veterans hate syncing to anything lower than 30 just for the lack of abilities or the zones to level are hated (Valkurm Dunes).

It's something that 99% of the people don't have to worry about since they are veterans of the game. But the 1% that join new every month, and have the chance to bring on more and more people, are looking at an almost impossible mountain to climb.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 4:11PM DevilSei said

I agree, I've only tried the game once with my friend (who used to play FF11), he couldn't get his old account back because of how they handle that... so he started a trial with me. It was fine for the most part if we were grouped, but something happened and he had to stop playing.

Then I stumbled onto a quest where I needed to find some wool. 15-20 sheep later and nothing out of it, I just said screw it. That, and the insane jump of power between one normal rabbit to another normal rabbit that led to me getting beaten halfway across the zone...

Oh sure, I did try talking to others and see if they wanted to group, but either the place was a ghost town, or the others didn't feel like playing with someone not in their linkshell/friends, cause I never got a response.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 7:01PM Cristiano Cenizo said

I fall into that 1% category. I have co-workers and friends that still play FFXI regularly, so I decided to try it out when Steam had the Vana'diel Collection on sale. My friends helped me with some gear, money, and the inevitable questions I had, but for the most part we have conflicting schedules. After completing the new player tutorial/introduction I played regularly for about three weeks. I played alone, due largely in part to being such low level and playing at sporadic times, so I made it to level 15 with every job available at start.

I really didn't feel a pull to stay after my free 30 days were up. Level 15 on every beginning job bored me to death and I was greatly annoyed by the very limited inventory space I had unless I was constantly vendoring, auctioning, or trashing loot I picked up.

I dunno, I'd love to play the game everyone else is playing, but I chose to start my adventure "late" in the game's existence. As a result I just didn't feel compelled or interested enough to continue paying the sub. :\

It would be great if I could play with my friends, because the social aspect of a game is sometimes the only thing that keeps me subscribed... but, really, FFXI could use a bit of fresh polish to not only attract new players but also keep them around long enough for it to be worthwhile for both SE and their customers.

Make My MMO: September 14 - 20, 2014

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 6:00PM

Perfect Ten: Terrible, terrible MMO names

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Stream Team: Anchors away in ArcheAge!

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 1:00PM