Posted: Sep 11th 2010 8:13AM (Unverified) said

Character customization is ALL about the options developers give you in the start, after all, what they give you afterwards is pretty much standardized afterwards, for ALL the players... so yea... my character'll look different new and shiny... But shite, did that guy have exactly the same gear set as me? ups ^^...... No... more options, more options, and more, I want to make a hunchback, I want to make a dwarf, I want to make a cripple, a giant an anorexic a fat ass, I'm an altoholic rp'er... and.. options... is what... we live.. for!

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 8:30AM Tizmah said

Hmm, After playing CoH and Champions, I didn't realize how much I enjoyed getting new armor and weapons for my character as she grew. At first, I liked the idea of having a set character look throughout the entire game ( though you could change it if you wanted). But...I really enjoy getting a new piece of armor after fighting a tough boss and seeing that it looks amazing when you stick it on, how it was much better than that old ratty chainmail you had on. I just like a character creation that isn't over the top and is serious with it's self. I don't like the ones that have tons of sliders where people can make silly looking short people with giant ears and noses. I just want the character creation system to stay within reason of the storys own lore.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 10:49AM alinos said

But thats the thing in alot of games until you get to the max level gear it all looks crud because there's they cant make 1000's of awesome armors

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 8:43AM (Unverified) said

Well, CoX actually had badges that unlocked costume pieces, there were inventions also I believe that gave you more pieces of gear. Of course, the pieces that you would put on you from getting those badges and making them from the crafting system didn't actually give you stat boosts. It was still something earned instead of everything at characer creation.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 8:59AM Wisdomandlore said

CoH/CO have great initial character customization options, but then you have no way to really develop your character visually as the game goes on besides creating alternate costumes. There's no feeling that you're getting more powerful, although maybe that doesn't mesh with the superhero setting. I could see DCUO's initially limited customization working in that respect.

I thought for non-superhero games Aion's character customization was fantastic (aside from being able to create freakish child-monsters and giants). It was rare to see another character who even had the same face as you. Other MMOs should take notice.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 6:21PM wjowski said

"CoH/CO have great initial character customization options, but then you have no way to really develop your character visually as the game goes on besides creating alternate costumes."

Uh...cape mission at level 20, emanation mission at level 30.

Sorry but I prefer not looking like some retarded clown-pimp until the I can manage to see the inside of a raiding dungeon.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 9:09AM (Unverified) said

Super hero appearances don't normally change all that much during their career. A system that gives a lot of options up front and then provides extra stuff I can acquire to tweak my appearance would be good.

But to start up with one costume and then to change it several times over during the course of the game because whats available at the start isn't what I want to look like isn't appealing to me.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 9:34AM Platypus Man said

I want full and total control over the customization of my character's physical appearance. It's the only thing that I can honestly say that sucks about a game WoW -- there is no way to create a unique character.

As far as the clothes/armor... I'm torn. On the one hand, I like to be able to dictate what my character looks like. The character creators in Champions Online and City of Heroes kind of spoiled me for other games - mainly because armor drops generally result in a mismatched, warrior-clown-on-crack look. However, with games like LOTRO that have an appearance tab... you have some flexibility and you don't have access to everything at the front-end. I can understand what they mean about the carrot.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 9:34AM (Unverified) said

It's a tough sell for a superhero game, because a comic hero's costume doesn't change much. It might be cool to go through a golden age/silver age/modern age progression, but seems like it would be hard to do something like that in an MMO and account for all the customization options.

I think a big part of the appeal to an MMO is your character is, in most games, visibly much more of a badass at level cap than freshly rolled. It's interesting that DCU seems to be trying to build a hook here that the other superhero MMOs don't have.

Even more so since I guess they've bailed on that other MMO staple, crafting. I'm interested enough to plunk down my $50 and play for a month, but I'm not sure how they're going to be able to hold on to the $15/mo subscriber on a game that seems like it's going to be even more casual than CO.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 11:17AM Liltawen said

One of the more important differences between RPGs and MMOs is making a unique personal character rather than a character that the Devs give you to play. First no crafting and now this. This game is getting more RPG every time I hear about it.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 9:02PM (Unverified) said

The reason you effing eff need crafting or some sort of downtime activity in an MMO is it gives players something to do besides quests and combat. You don't have to call it 'crafting'. It sounds like the collection and detective systems will fill this gap a bit, but it would be cool to build equipment, weapons, vehicles, costume pieces etc.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 9:50AM (Unverified) said

i think coh and champs character creation is make or break for it tbh, i dont think its the same game without that level of detail in your character creation, an di dont think either would be as popular

i prefer lots of options myself in fantasy mmos also and never really like to see just a couple of options, of course the rest of the game is far more important but it does affect the overall enjoyment of a title if its not a robust system. After all you are going to spend practically years looking it his/her mug.... you'd better be pleased with it

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 9:53AM (Unverified) said

It's a tough call...being a unique "snowflake" and seeing the variety of other people's avatars is one of the main reasons I'd play an MMO over an RPG. (along with co-op/social stuff)
But I don't think that should prevent devs from giving players ways to visually improve as they level...but if there are only a few "level 40 cape" options, for example, then everybody at a given level will probably start looking the same especially at higher levels that are harder to reach.
As far as I'm concerned, the solution when it comes to customization is always "more options." They could just have tiers of content with a decent variety of new stuff at each tier.

Posted: Sep 12th 2010 9:43AM (Unverified) said

DCUO has stated and shown its a mix of both worlds. You create your character fully as how you want your hero or villian to like and during the games and you will be able to loot armor and additions to your appearance.
When you loot you'll be given the chance to either take the new look of the new armor and simply equip it as it is. Or make it change its appearance to your current style by simply copying your current style on the new armor.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 10:14AM suntyl said

If they could pull it off, something like the Spiderman movie costume progression would be okay. Start off with sweaters and stuff you made yourself with a ski mask, and eventually move on to full on spandex suits. But there would need to be a way to create an initial "theme" and have that theme transition in a meaningful way.

It's asking too much, and it'll probably be just gear, but that'd be great honestly. Origin style stories are the reason that a lot of the new superhero stuff coming out today are good. CO and CoX just plop you in as an already full blown hero.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 10:24AM (Unverified) said

I care more about how the game handles than how my character look. I'm paying $50 + $15 a month. I do not want a glorified dress up Barbie game. So the change is not something I'm concerned with. Give me good gameplay.

@Casey, so far it seems DCUO has more to do than just straight combat. Races, collection quests, detective system, Legendary PvP...It appears they have a lot of things that will distract you and many ways to reward activities not tied to combat. Only time will tell, though.

I'd like to point out...crafting is usually tedious in an MMO. I won't really miss it. I tend to trust what they say on this...We're talking about the guys who made the crafting systems for SWG, EQ2, and Free Realms(My kid says this is fun?). You can argue whatever you want about SOE and MMO management...You can't argue that they make really good crafting systems.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 10:33AM Shoikler said

I really enjoy being able to customize characters; when I played CoX, I seemed to spend almost as much time in the character creator as in the game itself. I'd log in, spend some time making characters, save none of them, and log out without ever leaving the creator. [That's part of why I stopped playing.]

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 11:00AM (Unverified) said

Not sure if the article is a little biased here, you make it sound like you have hardly no options at char creation. Actually reading the guys comments sounds like you get to create an avatarat the start like in a lot of games and this continues to be customisable as the avatar develops. Sounds like a positive thing to me.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 11:43AM Jef Reahard said

If anything, it's an opposite bias from what you're assuming. You won't find a bigger DC Comics fanboy, and I think the game will capture the universe as well as an MMO can. That said, I prefer the CoH/Champions options at the start. We'll see how it turns out though.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 11:01AM (Unverified) said

I read this a few days ago, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe in the interview it was stated that once you unlocked that gear, the appearance of it was permanently unlocked on your account, even if you discarded the gear at a later date?

I like this idea of having an extra layer of something to accomplish. You see a particularly stylish piece of gear that would suit your theme, or an alt you'd been kicking around in your head, so you go quest it, kill the big bad guy, whatever, and its yours forever after that. I like that.

Honestly, I don't think the unlocking gear/appearance items is the situation. The REAL question is "How limited are the options at Character Creation?"

That's the $64,000 Question.