Posted: Sep 12th 2010 8:55AM Dragotx said

And here we have the attitude that exemplifies exactly the issues I was talking about. This game encourages the worst types of people to go out and make everyone's life miserable. All these types of players are is schoolyard bullies that have found they can get thier jollies off with no consequences because they are just electrons in a computer for all intents and purposes. The behavior they engage in online would get them shot, even just the verbal abuse these individuals engage in, were they to try doing it in person around here. Just because you are playing a game that lets you hide behind the anonnymity of the internet does not give you free liscense to ignore even basic decency. I quit playing, as did my entire corp and many of my other friends in the game, because I refuse to play like that yet the only way to get anywhere in that game anymore is to join them.

Posted: Sep 12th 2010 2:08PM (Unverified) said

It's you who are exemplifying the "carebear"(no hate) attitude by refusing to ever have setbacks ("make everyone's life miserable") in an economic and warfare PvP game where you set your own goals.

Scammers are assholes in the game, sure, but if it gets to you IRL you have only yourself to blame for taking progress in this game too seriously. They "get thier jollies off with no consequences" because there are no consequences for ANYONE, including the scammed people. It's nothing like a real crime. It's a video game, pixels on a screen.

It the end it was all risk vs reward vs effort for the scammed investors, like it is so often in that game. No effort, good reward, huge risk.

Posted: Sep 12th 2010 9:22AM (Unverified) said

Sometimes when someone goes by "Bad Bobby" it might be wise to take a step back and think about what that might imply before giving them your ISK and trust. A persons naming scheme can often reveal more then most people would like to admit.

Posted: Sep 12th 2010 10:48AM (Unverified) said

Personally I'm glad EvE creates a cutthroat environment for these sorts of players to play. Better than starving them so they flock to other games and make lives miserable.

Perhaps CCP should introduce a mechanic where players can trace the stolen ISK and figure out who got it after this guy trades it. CSI, EVE.

Posted: Sep 12th 2010 3:24PM Vrazule said

• Half a heart
It's disgusting how people praise screwing each other over. Captialism and greed at it's very worst and people celebrate it. If I were a Christian, like so many of these self proclaimed Captains of Industry claim, I'd be ashamed and fearful for the final destination of my soul. It's bad enough that this kind of behavior not only plays out in the real world and is celebrated by many, it's beyond repugnant to see it play out in our entertainment venues as well. Evolved species my ass.

Posted: Sep 12th 2010 8:48PM LaughingTarget said

Shame you can't differentiate capitalism from the crack of your ass. This ain't capitalism.

Posted: Sep 13th 2010 12:06AM Lateris said

That was tooo funny brother!

Posted: Sep 12th 2010 6:00PM FlareSama said

All I can say is wow! That is incredible!

Posted: Sep 12th 2010 6:18PM (Unverified) said

Seems to me that a lot of people were pretty foolish to be placing their trust in someone named Bad Bobby. What exactly were they expecting to happen?

Posted: Sep 12th 2010 8:23PM (Unverified) said

Rainbows and puppies, clearly.

Posted: Sep 12th 2010 7:14PM (Unverified) said

A lot of people are missing the point. EVE is a game and the actions of the players are writing a story. Obviously it is not to everybody's taste, which is why not everybody plays EVE. But the freedom allowed and the richness of interaction it creates make for a much more interesting environment and consequently more interesting events and stories. It is just as pointless to criticise Bad Bobby and other scammers, gankers and theives as it is to criticise Darth Vader because he is a bad guy. Me, I'll keep the cool character and the interesting story.

I am a carebear, just starting to get into PvP. When I get ganked or scammed, tricked, ninja salvaged or blobbed I am angry, sometimes at the perpetrator, sometimes at myself for being foolish. However I am always glad that I play in a game where what the players do counts and and loss has meaning.
If death has no cost, stupidity no consequence then there is little "realness", immersion or excitement. The first time I was ganked it cost me my best ship, over half my meagre fortune and a lot of gnashing of teeth. It also taught me a lot and took an hour to come down from the adrenaline rush. That death was in many ways more interesting and certainly more meaningful than the past week I had spent running missions.

Though one criticism I have read here is valid, that of the effect of anonymity on behaviour and the ability to use it to avoid the consequences of "criminal" or anti-social behaviour. That is not a problem specific to EVE, it is present in all MMOs, indeed most online behaviour. Forum trolling anyone?

So thanks to Bad Bobby. He has provided us all with an entertaining story, started many a good "discussion" thread and perhaps educated a few players about the nature of EVE in particular and online interactions in general.

Posted: Sep 13th 2010 4:09PM (Unverified) said

Just a quick one for the people saying that 'the system encourages foul play like this', this guy now probably has half the galaxy hunting his ass since he stole their money, plus the shareholders, since I know I'd take a betrayal like this personal.

Posted: Sep 13th 2010 11:59PM (Unverified) said

*Loud. Slow. Applause.*

Posted: Sep 13th 2010 1:14PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
This is how MMO(s) should be. I wrote an article http://theord.com/2009/09/14/what-i-expect-from-an-mmorpg/ where there should be a player economy vs. just killing things to get money.

I played EVE Online several years ago for about a month and I have to say the graphics were phenomenal but holy crap I fell asleep when all you do is space jump. It is not a very exciting action packed game. I do think though they are on the right trail.

Posted: Sep 13th 2010 5:11PM gamebynight said

Wow, I was just reading through the thread linked in the article. This Bad Bobby guy is a total sociopath. I mean, really. As I was reading through, this guy's total lack of concern, not only for others, but for his own RL reputation, just reeks of some weird detachment. It's not normal.

Posted: Sep 13th 2010 6:08PM (Unverified) said

looks like eve allows people to be themselves )

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 10:27AM (Unverified) said

" In most MMOs, acts of theft could earn the perpetrator a permanent game ban."

Really?

So in WoW, if someone kills me and loots my corpse, I can get them banned? Awesome!

Corp thefts are just like that. They are part of ordinary gameplay, even if the items stolen have a real-world value. All parties are aware of the risk involved.

This isn't a real world theft just because the items have real world value. If the items were removed by account hacking, there would be bans. No rules were broken here, and nearly every investment instrument in Eve is a scam-- the only question is when it turns sour, and whether you got your isk out before or not.

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 11:54AM (Unverified) said

I like the idea of these types of crimes being possible in the game, but they lose significance as interesting gameplay events when there's no real recourse for those victimized by these scams.

This guy can just transfer the ISK, start a new account, and he's scot free.

EVE is always talking about how sneaky its playerbase is, but it's usually a one-way street in in terms of victimization. Until they get around to allowing permanent in-game death, imprisonment, and assassination, while restricting the ability to set up alternate accounts, the game's always going to have consequence free events like this.

EVE players seem proud of the idea that their game is like real life, but real life has serious consequences for actions like this, and removing that fact takes the weight out of these (regular) announcements of fraud and deception.

Posted: Sep 15th 2010 9:47AM (Unverified) said

What a scum bag ...I bet his mother is really proud of him .

Posted: Sep 15th 2010 2:40PM wjowski said

Charles Keating's favorite MMO.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM