Posted: Sep 10th 2010 10:24AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
absolutely nothing

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 11:14AM Darkdust said

Gah. You beat me.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 12:10PM Bartlebe said

For those of us that like reading and being engaged on a literary and mental level, just for our own enjoyment, it means a great deal.

Go to the section of the Eve forums where players talk about the games lore. Pages and pages and pages of detailed debate, discourse and theorizing about the ever-evolving story.

For those us are that are in the "Kill-kill-kill! Readin is fur nerdz!" demographic, nothing.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 2:00PM (Unverified) said

I love lore. I especially love City of Heroes lore, because it's concrete enough to provide a starting point, but vague enough to allow for a lot of personal "Fanon", if you will. The Architect feature also allows you to -make- bosses that are personal rivals.

As for City of Heroes Roleplay? It looks like I have a PROJECT!

TO VIRTUE! *woosh*

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 3:37PM Heraclea said

Lore can be a mixed blessing. I found the lore in World of Warcraft to be something of a turnoff. There was a fair amount of it going in, from the standalone games.

But by the time it came to WoW itself, it seemed to all blur together. "There was a wizard whose faction was backed into a corner. He made a deal with demons of incredible power, and cast a mighty spell and broke the world. But the power the first wizard unleashed soon had the other faction backed into a corner. Their wizard made a deal with demons, cast a mighty spell and broke the world some more." For some reason, I suspect that the forthcoming "Cataclysm" expansion isn't going to break the mold here.

The other thing WoW's backstory with its wizards and their world-breaking spells tells you is that your character is always just going to be a footsoldier in somebody's army. You will not be handed the power to make another deal with the demons and break the world your way. This rather goes with the static nature of MMOs.

I don't like having forced relationships with the lore, and prefer a large dose of sandbox style and the ability to carve out your own place and role in the world.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 3:46PM Rayko said

/sigh

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 4:40PM (Unverified) said

I am part of a great roleplay guild alliance in Warhammer on the Badlands server. We are all pretty much refugees from the now defunct Phoenix Throne roleplaying server.

phoenixcrown.guildportal.com