Posted: Sep 10th 2010 8:11PM Higurashi said

I have no idea if this is going to be a good thing or a bad thing, but I'm interested to see how it all plays out. I'm kind of looking forward to it, I've never been actively playing a game during a server merge before.

My only issue is that I already have 7 characters, so I won't be able to make any more now unless I pay for a second account. I'm crossing my fingers, hoping that everything goes well.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 8:16PM Nadril said

They're really hurting on subs that much?

Pretty interesting news though I think. Hopefully it helps since a dead L2 server is no fun at all.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 9:27PM (Unverified) said

This is pretty good news, having one server per region would defiantly boost the ability to do a lot of large PvP and such. I might retry the live server once the merge happens to just see the "newish" server popularity.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 8:37PM (Unverified) said

Isn't lineage 2 a huge chunk of NCsoft's revenue?

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 8:45PM (Unverified) said

Not in North America or Europe. L2 is (was?) a big part of their revenue stream in Korea, but it never did exceptionally well in the western world.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 11:17PM ChromeBallz said

Lineage 2 in the West has had, at it's peak, about 70k subscribers. The servers have always felt a bit empty. I can only imagine that they're down to less than 20k given the merge.

However, this won't save Lineage 2 in the West, it will kill it. When the servers have been merged they will be flooded with bots, and given NCSoft's general policy of ignoring actual bots and banning legit players in L2, you can see this as a sign to just give up on the game alltogether.

Too bad. The game mechanics are sound and it has a rather deep economic system. If NCSoft would have put a little more effort into the translation L2 could easily have ~300k subscribers in Europe and the US.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 3:52AM Kalec said

I think I just got a virus ? maybe just me

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 9:45AM (Unverified) said

LOL Why would you click that link? Need some detox?

Make My MMO: October 19 - 25, 2014