Posted: Sep 10th 2010 9:12PM Synthetic said

I'm looking forward to reading the reviews once the game is fully live with all the omitted features and/or content in place. It'll be helpful in deciding whether or not I'll give this one a whirl; currently, that's a no.

The polarizing nature of this game is also very interesting. Love it or hate it, not too many moderates it seems. And right now, to anyone familiar with my previous posts, I'd have to be funnelled into the very broad 'hater' category. I don't hate it, by the way, but I am disappointed and hoping for good things for the game's future.

Cheers to Final Fantasy XIV.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 11:15PM myr said

I'm one of those moderates.

Well, I dislike the game, I suppose. Good graphics and good story (once every 5-10 levels) do not a good game make, when the gameplay itself is horrible. But I want to play something with all my old LS mates again, so I'll probably be picking it up eventually. Probably not until after a patch or three post-release, though... if they haven't all quit and come back to ffxi by that time.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 9:38PM mmark said

Considering that I, and most of my linkshell mates, fail 3/5 of our Guildleves because the game crashes to screen, I don't think I will be buying this game. For beta, its frustrating and annoying, but there is no way I will pay for that.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 11:07PM dudemanjac said

• Half a heart
I seem to only crash when shutting the game down. What are you doing wrong.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 11:35PM mmark said

• 1 heart
You obviously did not read my comment.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 12:59AM Abriael said

I have one crash per whole day tops, that said, crashes in a beta (no matter how near to release) are well to be expected. Actually most PC games still crash on many configurations well past release.

In other news, some people really seem to be offended that the game doesn't spoon feed them like disoriented kids, and that it isn't a wow clone. What can I say, don't worry guys, the next wow clone is always coming soon :D

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 5:18AM tchuks said

Don't confuse Beta with Demo. A Beta has glitches and problems and features set in place to specifically TEST the game of these bugs and what can trigger them. The more people there are the easier it is to find these bugs. Open Beta is just Square-Enix saying let's try to stress out our servers and connections as much as possible to get an idea of what is going to happen when 1000+ people are logged on at once. They already got the severe bugs down in the closed beta, now it's time to stress test their hardware. If you recal when this open beta started, the servers had some issues... so they figured out they have to fix that NOW and not when the final client releases.

If it crashes a bunch of times you can't hold it against the game. If the FINAL copy crashes a lot (which you can read about from the reviews) THEN you can say it's not worth buying. But saying a Beta crashes a lot (no matter how close to final it is) may not be a good idea.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 10:26AM dudemanjac said

• 1 heart
Actually I did read it and the question stands. Like Abriael, I barely have any trouble with crashing. It's definitely never happened during a mission. And I'm even using the dreaded 64 bit Windows 7. I have that hardware mouse patch in as of last night and it's still not crashing. So what are you and you friends doing wrong?

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 10:17PM (Unverified) said

After canceling my pre-order of collectors edition after the xp limit bomb I decided to try the open beta anyway and give the game a shot. After suffering for about 3 hours I have come to the conclusion I will not be buying this game.

For the record, if its a PC release the UI needs to be ready for a mouse and keyboard. I know they are planning for a PS3 release but they should address the current market first. I had to download the patch for the hardware mouse to even give this game an attempt. Its sad when a developer from another MMO ( cough* GW2* cough ) has to fix problems in someone Else's game to make it somewhat bearable.

The Camera is kinda lame but easy to learn to manage. Biggest disappointment, no tutorial. For new people not from FF11 you learn by trail with fire.

Im not going to hate on this game, but I was looking forward to playing this until I actually got to try it.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 1:03AM Abriael said

• Half a heart
Because you NEED a tutorial to learn how to play a game, right? Goodness forbid you having to figure something without detailed instructions! :D

It's obvious how a certain game got people to be overly reliant in being hand-led and spoon-fed continuously. I for one enjoy the ability to truly explore the game and the system with my own legs immensely.

Just a little hint though, since I see a lil bit of misinformation. Cliff didn't fix anything. He just changed an option from "false" to "true" in order to unlock an hardware mouse option that's already built in the game code (yes, by SE), and probably not yet available because it's being tested internally. It was a nice attempt to biased spin, but misinformative.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 1:26AM wjowski said

A tutorial is a good way for an MMO to acquaint pure newcomers to typical gameplay mechanics and quirks. 'Hardcore' elitists such as yourself may disregard them, but any development company with any interest in doing anything besides cannibalizing the already oversaturated MMO market should seriously consider otherwise.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 1:31AM Not THAT Matt said

I like how you're implying, Abriel, the game needs to be archaic and ridiculously over-complicated to be "hardcore" or even "good."

OH EM GEE DOOD U HAZ IT SO E-Z WIT YER WOW!!111!1!1

Yeah, because it's nice to feel like I'm playing a game from the 21st century, and not from 1999.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 1:32AM Abriael said

• Half a heart
@Wjowski: i thought we were all veteran MMORPG players here. Why are you so worried about "newcomers"? if SE doesn't worry about that, why should we? Are you a stockholder perchance? :D

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 1:34AM Abriael said

• Half a heart
@Not THAT Matt: The game doesn't seem "overcomplicated" at all to me, maybe because as an all-platform gamer since the age of the spectrum I learned to adapt to different UIs and control schemes, and I don't feel like every game should have exactly the same identical UI to be playable.

I'm playing the beta. I'm enjoying it, and I don't feel any complication hindering my enjoyment.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 10:37AM (Unverified) said

@ Abrieal

If you hope to have new players a tutorial is a great mechanic, while I can totally live without it, you can't forget not everyone who plays games is 16+. Kids do play MMO's and as much as we might hate them there mommies and daddies credit cards bring in good money. Not having a tutorial pretty much kills that profit potential.

And Cliff did fix it, i'm well aware all it did was change it from off to on but isn't that fixing the hardware mouse issue? I believe so. The fact that there is a hardware mouse coded in and not able to enable it is a very dumb move by SE.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 10:39PM (Unverified) said

The storytelling and immersion are beautifully modern. Text isn't boring when you write it well, package it with beautiful emotes and good camera work. For the first time in a long while, I was taken in by the characters and dialogue. It felt great to see a game that really hearkens back to the roots of trying to immerse you, instead of focusing exclusively on combat to keep you enticed. This combines nicely with the gentle pace of the game, which urges you to slow down and enjoy the world.

Subsequently, the gameplay and controls are archaic in PC terms. The design team was far too concerned with balancing the field with the console layout instead of making the PC experience the best it could be. You can only work with one menu item at a time on a platform that is used to having multiple windows accessible. It's impossible to shake the feeling that your keyboard and mouse are being gimped for the sake of the controller. Adjusting to FF14 is not natural and is counter-intuitive to the PC experience in general.

This game really evokes a sense of old-school, but dredges up some of the aspects of early-MMO gaming that are best left forgotten.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 11:18PM ZoneOuT said

I agree with this.. It does give you the feeling of an old school mmo which I think is a great change of pace and I find it enjoyable, but it certainly feels that they made this for the PS3 first then ported it over for the PC. When they fix the UI bugs and get the kinks out it'll just make a already fun mmo great.

If you're looking for a mmo with a pre-wow era feel FF14 is definitely a game worth checking out.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 11:58PM (Unverified) said

FFXIV: A once highly anticipated 2010 release that now, unfortunately, promises to be an over-publicized flash in the pan. Today we mourn the loss of our expectations.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 12:03AM Laren said

Wow was my first mmo. Now that I've said that, you know where I'm coming from.

I didn't want to run the beta (prefer to just enjoy the released product), but all the negative nelly stuff forced my hand. Have to see for myself. I quickly registered and downloaded (via bittorrent) and installed.

First, I'll need to figure out how to turn double buffering on. Lots of flickering going on.

Other then that, if first impressions are worth anything, it seemed to be just fine!?? Ya, I'm confused too (from all the talk, you'd think it was the worst UI ever). I play with mouse and keyboard. It is working well, why would I use a controller again? I turn with my mouse (hold down right mouse button), run with my keyboard (w key), and press the action buttons (1-9) to do stuff. This is pretty much how I've played all the other AAA mmos (wow, aion, war, lotro). I'm sure I'll miss jumping, but got over it in dragon age, I'm sure I can deal with it here.

From that brief validation that keyboard and mouse work fine, I think I'll go back to my original plan of waiting for the first few patches and buy this in November baring reviews coming out terrible. (ok, I might play a little more, now that I have it installed. :D)

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 12:16AM (Unverified) said

Hey, if it doesn't bother you, more power to ya! :)