Posted: Sep 10th 2010 5:19PM sine909 said

I was very much looking forward to this game, but eventually gave up after trying to manually fix the patcher every time a new patch comes out (check the fan sites for the engaging instructions covering how to manually torrent individual patch files, unpack/place/etc). It was almost comical that each new patch would lock at a different point, say "99.4%", which I'd Google immediately, and consistently find pages and pages of people having the same problem in forums on fan sites (and yes, my correct ports are open). For me it has made it nearly impossible to even play the game - which feels like a bad sign.

I also find it strange that you compared guildleves with MMO quests, without bringing up the odd (aka punishing) design choices. Things like 48 hour lock-out timers, disconnecting in any form disallows you from continuing (until unlock), and that they're all (I believe) timed. While I haven't experienced it myself, I've also heard numerous times that there are very few of them right now, causing you to run out of content in a couple of hours of playtime - requiring a 2-day wait to re-engage. Hopefully that's fixed by release, but obviously that's a short time away.

Based on my limited playtime (a few hours), my biggest complaint would actually be (for lack of better phrasing) how your character interacts with the world around them, and how latched you are to it. True to a Final Fantasy, this game has no "jump". While that may seem insignificant, where it becomes a problem is when you see where you need to go, right below you, yet you have to walk for 2 minutes to get there because you can't simply fall. This happened to me numerous times, sometimes where the place I needed to go was half an inch below me, but the terrain required me to walk all the way around to get there. To some this may not matter, but to me it just felt tedious and was a big turnoff.

That said, the game is pretty.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 1:26AM (Unverified) said

I have to agree with Sera on the controller issue. Both FFXI and FFXIV are designed to run on both consoles and PC. No game that I'm aware of has distinct programming for both keyboard users and console users - UI design is driven by the type of input device users are expected to use. With a PS3 title it was either "Get a keyboard PS3 users" or "get a controller PC users", and whether any of us like it or not SE is primarily a console game company so the UI provides best ease of use for controller users. Best to either drop $15 on a controller or accept some of the drawbacks in terms of mouse/kb useability.

I do agree keyboard mapping needs to be better implemented, and the UI is somewhat clunky regardless of the input device. I find it frustrating at times when a button click takes 1-5 seconds to register. There are a lot of other rough edges in the UI such as lack of inventory sorting, too many redundant dialog boxes (such as "confirm your crafting recipe", "oh, confirm these crystals will be used", "Oh, confirm you want to start crafting this recipe with these crystals") and so on. Hopefully the polish will come through regular updates early on.

I suspect SE wanted the graphics to hold up over the next 5-10 years on computers we'll be using at that time. The graphics settings do seem to be pushing todays PC's even on the lowes settings, but the environments look very good even dialed down. The long term thinking here does give me some hope SE is into this MMO for the long term. I'd personally like to see them engage with the user base in a more open way, from what I've read they do seem a bit detached. I will say that the patches do seem to be helping the game run better for me at least, so who knows maybe they are listening.

And lastly... in case they are listening... SE please do something about your updater! It's the first piece of software we all see and it is a royal pain in the you-know-what. I can't think of any 21st century updater I hate more than this one. The 99% loaded fails seem to be solved but this updater still runs day long downloads and cancels loading patches regularly. Find out what everyone else is using for PS3 or XBox software updates and use that for grief's sake.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 5:21PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
I'm not looking for an argument here, but so many of your points are total rubbish... it's astounding.

Your articles are not objective, they're opinionated. E.g:

"Using a controller lets you avoid many of the problems people have brought up with the interface. I think you'll all feel that the game flows much better when you're flipping through menus with a few button presses, rather than dealing with a horribly laggy mouse cursor."

The ridiculous article aside, SE are a company who should be pushing out games 100x greater than this. For release, this game is essentially a paid-beta, with wonky controls, punishing time limitations all for a subscription fee.

Once again I'm disappointed with both SE, and a Massively article.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 5:29PM archipelagos said

"For release, this game is essentially a paid-beta..."

This part of what you said is basically standard fare for MMO's. Is it right that studios release games in this condition? Personally, I don't think so but unfortunately there are PLENTY of folk very happy indeed to pay for beta content. Just one of those things.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 5:31PM (Unverified) said

Yeah, I'm wondering when people will stop making excuses for SE's ineptitude. I know the same people will come here saying why I'm posting in an article about a game that I won't be buying, and my answer is this: to save others from spending their money and being disappointed. And yes, I've played the open beta myself and am not just jumping on the "Hate FFXIV" bandwagon without first-hand experience.

Oh, and one more thing, I always thought gameplay was much more important than graphics, as long as the graphics weren't revolting.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 5:38PM Seraphina Brennan said

To be perfectly blunt, this is an opinion article. It's not "like an opinion article." It's my opinion, and it's not meant to be objective. If I wanted to be objective, I would be writing another article that isn't in the Anti-Aliased line of articles.

These are my thoughts and feelings, and you are more than welcome to disagree with me. But please understand that this is an opinion article, not an objective article.

~Sera

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 9:23PM Eamil said

"Your articles are not objective, they're opinionated."

That would be because Anti-Aliased is an OPINION COLUMN. It even says, right at the bottom: "Seraphina Brennan serves up her opinions in Anti-Aliased every week"

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 7:18PM (Unverified) said

“We're not console players. If a company is going to release a game for the PC, they had best give tools to accommodate the majority of people's controls. Mouse and Keyboard.”

Inazagi, I’m inclined to agree with you. There is no reason that a company like SE, so vastly rich in resources, should enter a market unprepared. They’ve been sitting high in the gaming oligopoly for years. I’d hate to see a PC release tarnish their reputation.

“Yes, I agree with all of you who say that the interface sucks for a keyboard and mouse combination (because it does), but it doesn't mean that you can't walk out to your local Best Buy or Staples and pick yourself up a controller or try to track down a wired Xbox 360 controller.”

… Are you’re getting commission on these controllers, Seraphina? ;) I honestly can’t fathom how you can justify another expense, after we have (hypothetically) purchased the game and subsequent subscriptions. I realize that it was a well intended suggestion of an” easier” alternative, but it came across a little pompous.

That said, if we all rush out and purchase controllers, we treating the symptom and ignoring the underlying issue. The lag should be addressed.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 9:29PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Even if this is meant to be an opinionated collum, it's still, frankly, wrong.

Few, if any of the points made are actually how the game is. Sera just bends to the publisher.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 12:18AM (Unverified) said

I'm with you, Inazagi. I'm a PC gamer. I'm not a console gamer. I don't like console controllers. I like my mouse and keyboard. If SE have managed to put together a good console MMORPG, good on them, I wish them every success - but I'll pass, and buy a PC MMORPG instead.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 1:17PM (Unverified) said

I'm totally with the "if released for PC, must have proper keyboard/mouse support" crowd. If the kb/mouse support remains this bad, then remove it entirely and put a big sticker on the box saying "gamepad only".

Not being able to rebind any action (or window...) to any key is just ridiculous. This isn't some advanced programming art. And if they bothered with the halfassed support that exists now, would it have killed them to provide the full support?

Beautiful game...but between this and some of the other contorted "features" of the game, I don't see it doing well. Its like its designed not to appeal outside of some hardcore FF fanbase.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 5:27PM Graill440 said

"It's very rare that I invoke the power of cake, but I feel as if I need to make one thing clear here -- use a controller when you're playing FFXIV"

Ahem......i do not like cake, i like pie.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 5:34PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
I don't know what you are talking about with quests being deep. There is only one quest in the game. I have heard there are more at level 10, but it only takes 30 minutes to do and it is the SAME EXACT thing for each city in terms of what you have to do.

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 6:35AM JoolaPrime said

I'm not sure you know what you're talking about either. The quests in beta have been available as teasers, SE said right back at the start of CB that quests would not be featuring before release.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 5:37PM (Unverified) said

I'm a long time fan of SE and been playing FFXI since NA launch. I've also been testing FFXIV since alpha 1. The game has come a long way since April. While there are a few things that boggles my mind like 48 hour cool downs on the guildleves I'm excited for the retail release.

There is a very polarized opinion of FFXIV. It's pretty much love it or hate it. I'm inbetween. Coming from FFXI i can see and feel the succession of the franchise. The devs stated they want to make a game that fans of the FF series who have never played a MMO could ease into and make a game for the fans of FFXI. I think they meet that goal. What they didn't do was create a MMO that would satisfy the "WoW" era MMO'r.
I believe SE did a good thing by not trying to compete with Blizzard because they would be destined to fail.
By that I mean, Blizzard created a game that entrenched gamers into a style of play that it cemented future design to that mold. If a dev creates a MMO thats inspired by WoW's design it becomes a clone and fails to keep gamers sub because the things that do set it apart from WoW it just doesn't do good enough. Or devs create something very different from WoW and gamers are outraged from the change.

So SE is creating a game fans of the series will enjoy. They might not get a million billion subs, but they'll have several 100k players; I'll be one of them.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 11:51PM (Unverified) said

Your my buddy ^^ LOL agreed....

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 5:31PM Seffrid said

"We're not console players. If a company is going to release a game for the PC, they had best give tools to accomodate the majority of people's controls. Mouse and Keyboard."

I agree. Rightly or wrongly, head in the sand or whatever, if a new MMO on the PC requires me to use a console controller I will not play it, simple as that. It just won't get a look-in.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 6:07PM Bezza said

I second that! Mouse + Keyboard = standard controllers for PC based MMO games. Producing a modern MMO that does not lend itself to this is an act of sheer stupidity.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 9:48PM (Unverified) said

everyone is complaining about the controls, but alot of you are trying to play the game like every other mmo out there. try just using your numpad and you can do fine. i played the game for an hour straight, while petting my cat at the same time. also to those complaining about the downtime of guild leves, SE has said numerous times this game is meant for more casual players. i think they said 8 - 12 hours per week.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 5:34PM Monkey D Luffy said

How are you supposed to explore such a small and un-open game world like this?

Make My MMO: October 19 - 25, 2014