Posted: Sep 9th 2010 11:39AM (Unverified) said

The past few patches have made the FFXIV experience less crashy and buggy. And, the more I play it, the more charming it becomes.

What people need to remember is that the basic DNA of FFXIV is different from other MMOs **cough*WoW-clones*cough** -- instead of variations and mutations of a Diku MUD base, FFXIV really IS a Final Fantasy game, with all the invisible walls and gates, lack of bread-crumbs telling you where to go next, and mini-games galore that implies. In short: no real FF afficianado is really surprised at the non-typical (i.e. non-WoW clone) UI and design.

If I DON'T buy FFXIV (and I am on the fence right now) it will be because the internal coding seems really whack. I can get 60+ FPS in Warcraft, 30+ in Age of Conan and 7-12 in FFXIV? It takes almost a MINUTE to start crafting while the game freezes and hangs? Now, THOSE are the things that fail to inspire confidence.

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 11:18AM (Unverified) said

I do have to agree the artwork in this game is phenomenal. I still get an occasional crash - which is highly annoying in a game of this type where the player suffers quest wise or dies for a D/C that's no fault of their own. Generally though stability does seem to be improving & I hope they continue working on that.

The invisible walls referred to earlier are all over the place and I'm sure ageofgame was talking about the walls along 3-foot (1 meter for you EU players) embankments. Come on SE, if it looks like I can drop off it in real life with little or no effort don't put up a wall. A lot of these walls are near exits from larger areas and quite long making it frustrating to get to where one wants to go. SE should have a policy of either making embankments more obvious as impassable or allow characters to traverse the smaller ones.

The Beta is warming on me personally, but honestly I still feel content and playability will be limited until the first major update. That's assuming the devs take a more open approach to listening to and addressing valid player concerns. I'd recommend that those unhappy with the Open Beta or unsure of the FF series in general wait until the March 2011 PS3 release which may bring a big update as well. Fans of the series may be more forgiving of the limited content and buggyness that tend to plague MMO releases of this scope. And yes the scenery is quite pretty if you're into exploration.

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 11:17AM (Unverified) said

I am surprised to see how much hate there is in the comments about the game since I have been having so much fun with it. A very nice change of pace from the same ol MMO that has been rehashed over and over again.

Right off the bat I hooked an xbox controller up to it, when in Rome... I must say I have always been firmly in the mouse/kb camp for MMOs, but hearing others complain about the interface made me start right off the bat with a controller. Pure awesome, love just kicking back with a controller and playing. I will be looking into playing more often with a controller.

I love the skill system and the multi-classing, love the story line, finally an MMO with a story. Very rich world.

I guess I am lucky in that I am able to take a game for what it is instead of constantly focusing on what it isn't. Much more enjoyable that way.

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 6:17PM (Unverified) said

What story?

That's my biggest complaint aside from the UI. Three starter videos, supposedly some fedex quest at 10. So we get one story every 10 levels? And in between you just grind leves (that have far less associated story than any quest in any other modern MMO).

I can probably put up with the rest if they can provide a decent story.

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 11:20AM Sunlover said

The problem with this game is certainly not the art, or the music.

I've read all of the comments on here and decided to log in for myself today (after not logging in for 2 or 3 days) and see what has changed. While the game has gotten smoother, it really isn't by much, and the mouse cursor lag makes this completely unplayable. The interface and control scheme are in no way fit for a AAA release. I have seen better movement, control, and interface design in recent F2P games. What's more, the world is dead- NPCs make little to no sounds whatsoever, combat takes forever to initiate, animations and actions in combat are restricted to standing still (meaning no running and attacking/firing your bow at the same time), and gameplay simply chugs along at a snail's pace. Simple things like interacting with objects (Aetheryte, for example) cannot be done by simply mouse clicking on them, you have to click on an interaction "buff" at the top of the screen or open your main menu, and scroll down to or click on "Aethryte" in your "Interactions" tab. Yes, really, all that just to interact with an object. In the year 2010, when it comes to video games, this is unacceptable.

I'm not afraid of the XP grind in this game anymore, I'm now afraid of the Interface/Control/OMGLookHowLongItTakesToDoAnything grind that I experience while playing from various interface/game design problems, all which are annoying, unintuitive, slow, and user unfriendly. I could go on with issues, but I won't, as I could easily create a veritable "Great Wall of Text" that could be seen from space (Or, if we're lucky, the development house at Square-Enix).

FF XI fans or "fanbois" can defend this game until Meteor hits, but the truth is I am critical because I love Final Fantasy as well. It is sad to see what could have been an epic, amazing, MMORP experience suffer from issues that should be plaguing a game developed 5 to ten years ago, not a modern day game. The saddest part of all of this is realizing that FF XIV, without some serious changes, will never reach it's full potential. Say what you will about Blizzard's monster, but one of the best things about WoW is running into other people who play the game in places you'd never expect and seeing gamers young and old, and from all walks of life enjoying it. Alas, if only FF XIV was developed in a way that could have allowed this. How awesome would that have been?

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 12:31PM Funkwell said

• Half a heart
"Say what you will about Blizzard's monster, but one of the best things about WoW is running into other people who play the game in places you'd never expect and seeing gamers young and old, and from all walks of life enjoying it. Alas, if only FF XIV was developed in a way that could have allowed this. How awesome would that have been?"

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 11:33AM (Unverified) said

This game has very good aspects and very bad aspects of game play. But make no mistake this game, like it's predecessor FFXI, will NOT hold your hand. The positive to that is it creates a very supportive and informative community.

In my opinion this is the one game if your use to racing to the "end game", and getting to the max level in as little time as possible, this game will drive you nuts.

There is a lot I'd like to see improved.
UI
Ability to Alt + Tab out of the game.
Everything from UI to graphical animations response times need to improve.
A zoom ability for the world map would be nice or at least being able to see where I'm located when viewing the overall world map.
etc. . .

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 11:45AM Purkit said

The art is really very good, but how its been place in the world is more than a little uninspired.

I'd hope most people agree that a well designed world needs a life of its own, and should be filled with little stories. I'm not talking about quests but about the small indicators that make a world feel real. Mobs should be placed with thought, we should see wolf dens in an area with wondering wolves, bandit camps along with bandits, ruined farm houses full of giant spiders or ancient crypts infested with the undead. These are all generic fantasy examples, but the same should applies to the mobs in the FFXIV world. Its fine to have random mobs, but there should always be a structure to the environments, call it an fake ecosystem if you will. FF has none of that, its just random mobs in a featureless environment, there is no structure to the zones, which makes the world feel kind of random and lifeless. People are dazzled by the level of graphic detail, but just because the pebbles are rendered beautifully doesn't make it a fun environment to explore when there is nothing to find other than the odd guildleve camp.

Of cause I'm happy to be proven wrong, I haven't explored everything in OB yet. Those that disagree with my opinion can enlighten me by giving specific examples of real in game locations I can check out which prove the world is not just random mob spawns. I'll be happily proven wrong. I really do like the character design and the art direction is top quality, but without structure and depth a world will always fail to convince, at least in my case.

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 12:36PM (Unverified) said

Uh oh , what's with all holding hand and get back to WoW fanboy comments? I didn't miss NPCs with ? marks nor instant rewarding. But my god this game is so user unfriendly. Seriously when I played it I felt like bashing the wall with my head, while all normal people just walk it around.

Mouse, interface lag, menu start from windows 98, tab key that marks every player in the area, useless mouse right button, no auction hall or retainer search function, important game messages flowing along with all the trash in chat. Yikes I could go on for quite a while.

It's like brand new car, with awesome engine, beautiful interior and exterior. Just with square wheels...which pretty much makes it worthless. Same with FF. Sure there are some peeps that doesn't mind square wheels and bashing wall with head.They enjoy art, music and nice story. But have mercy don't look like fools defending all crappy stuff from 1980s.

Grab LOTRO it'll be free to try very soon and enjoy nice story, graphic and music. Save Yourself frustration and make SE learn their lesson about not caring about customers.

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 12:39PM (Unverified) said

"Some of us don't want to play an mmo with our grandparents or 6 year old children, some of us would rather those people stick to nintendo wii, farmville and WoW. I'm glad this game requires a serious gaming rig, the less people I have to ignore because of chat immaturity and/or poor gaming skills in general the better."

Thats one more thing that made me stay away from FF XIV. Elitism.

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 8:44PM ChaosInc said

• 1 heart
Right. And every other MMO doesn't have any, right? What's your GS again?

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 1:34PM Monkey D Luffy said

I assume you meant Final Fantasy XI.
Are you complaining that you were not good enough to play with the good players?

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 5:37PM (Unverified) said

Doh! I messed up reply, the "quoted text" isn't mine, but from comment(now grayed) above.

Posted: Oct 28th 2010 12:25PM Ryukan said

Yet another eastern themed game that I just don't enjoy. Tried the beta, found it to be a very slow and cumbersome game with overly complex crafting and gathering and combat that could cure insomnia. I find the art style to be annoyingly cutesy, androgynous and well...Asian. Cat humans? meh. Bunny rabbit eared elves? meh. And the midget race..complete UGH. So disgustingly cutesy looking it almost makes me gag, never before have I seen such dumpy looking playable race in all my gaming past.

And half of the mob art leaves something to be desired. Fought a mob called a Raging Ram that looked like nothing more than a giant beach ball sized cotton ball with horns and I had to laugh, but it was the laughter of disdain.

FFXIV is definitely not my kind of MMO. At least I am saving $50.

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 2:04PM (Unverified) said

too bad that grounds which makes 90% of the game looks like crap

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 1:31PM Monkey D Luffy said

They talk about people exploring the game but the game is only going to have 5 areas at launch and 4 of the 5 areas are just small paths and not actual open areas.

Are they stupid? There's nowhere worth exploring.

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 2:01PM Syesta said

They've been opening up new areas every few updates during OB.
Also, a number of opening areas have decently sized dungeons, like Cassiopeia Hollow in La Noscea.
One of the new regions, Mor Dhona, is a pretty wicked locale.
Creepy atmosphere and atmospheric effects, cool music, and terribly strong monsters. Got 1-shot for about 3k damage trying to go deep in.

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 2:31PM Monkey D Luffy said

@Syesta. These areas have been out since the start of open beta.

Map of the entire game world, lol.

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 1:55PM Syesta said

I wish I could share my experiences with others (in an emotional sense), because I've been having a blast with FFXIV and can't wait for release. I hooked up with a number of my former XI chums (my JP LS from XI is making a wholesale switchover) at the start of open beta and haven't looked back since. I love the combat (Pug+Arc FTW), I greatly enjoy harvesting (spent most of the morning before work on mining leves), and unlike XI, the nation stories are involved and intriguing from the onset. The game definitely has the feel of Komoto's work (he was the lead for CoP expansion for FFXI) both in game-flow and presentation, and that alone my rub many the wrong way as well.

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 5:48PM (Unverified) said

The prettiness of this game has been enough to keep me trying long enough to learn just enough to feel like I'm actually playing the game, rather then just epic boss fight with UILAG monster.

Betawatch: November 22 - 28, 2014