Posted: Sep 9th 2010 11:15AM (Unverified) said

Its not even close to an MMO unless you consider DOTA an MMO. Which it is not. There is nothing massive about it, just like League of Legends or Heroes of Newerth.

This game is a Third Person Shooter Defense of the Ancients style game.

Modern Warfare 2 is more of an MMO.

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 2:28PM Ozewa said

Yep, I'm calling B.S. on this one as well, as they (Massively.com editorial staff) made the specific decision to not cover League of Legends or valve's DoTA), or Heroes of Newerth, or GPG's Demigod.
In or out Massively.com editorial staff, in or out.
You can't say that this game deserves your attention any more than any of those other titles. Either the entire genre is deserving of editorial coverage or none of them are.

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 4:05PM (Unverified) said

Aye, it's just pretty graphics on a "take one of three paths to kill buildings and other players."

This isn't an MMO at all, why write articles on this stuff?

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 11:22AM Seasqwaa said

While I agree it's not really an MMO...
It's still a ton of fun!

While you go into matches with a set amount of people, you can still talk to the community at the main menu screen.

It's third person action, with a crosshair, but combined with some clever strategic elements, and even upgrades for your character through items.

I'd give it a try, but it's still not quite an MMO if that's what you're looking for.

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 11:31AM Snichy said

No need to get into the whole "is it an MMO or not" argument as its been done to death. The article was more about what the game is than what it isnt and it actually sounds quite fun. I will give it a chance at least, at best it will be a good stop gap until other hotly-anticipated games come out, at worse it will be an uninstall, either way theres nothing to lose by trying.

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 11:33AM slickriptide said

Beans of death? Really? This sounds like a game I need to try. ;)

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 11:41AM (Unverified) said

Beans of death!!!

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 11:46AM (Unverified) said

Playing LoL almost exclusively these days I found LOCO to be a bit, erm, confusing. I must admit though that I just jumped in quickly without much research beforehand. The short overall experience was still a bit meh and I didn't feel like logging in again yet. On paper it sounded like a lot more fun, dunno. /shrug

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 11:57AM (Unverified) said

Being a retired hardcore grinding MMORPG player, I really can't recommend this one highly enough. It's fairly easy to pick up and play initially, yet there's an insane learning curve - I have been playing competitively since closed beta, and with gameplay strategies constantly changing, you're really never "done" learning and improving.

What I especially like is the fact that unlike an MMORPG, you can just go do something else for a few days and you'll still feel like coming back because the relative lack of persistence also means you're not really falling behind.
Whenever I do that with an MMORPG, I know I'm basically done with it, I get kind of detached because I end up wondering why I would want to spend my evenings questing/grinding for the next level up.
Doesn't happen with LOCO, simply because there's no grind and no time-sink, only on-demand action...

Oh, and needless to say, it's a must-try for DotA/HoN/LoL players.

P.S.: Stick to the Novice Map for your first few games so you won't get rolled as hard in your first game on a "real" map ;-) Thank me later.

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 1:19PM paterah said

That's actually a pretty good game at least for being free and way better than the Aeria Games counterpart called Legendary Champions. Again, I played it during CB and a bit OB, but it's really one of those games that having other friends to play it with skyrockets the fun. Unfortunately, my real life friends didn't like it and I didn't really bother to find a clan or even friends to play with online so I passed it.

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 8:38PM Sorithal said

Eh... It was okay. I've never been a huge fan of DotA games, but it was fun here and there.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 12:03PM Addfwyn said

Not sure I 100% grasp this, so it's kinda like a fully 3D/third person AOS (Dota/League of Legends) type game?

Sounds interesting, but is it worth playing for those of us already pretty heavily invested into League of Legends? I like the genre, but not sure how well it'd work in third person action-type setting.

Posted: Sep 12th 2010 8:06AM (Unverified) said

I imagine the game will be a blast. I love Monday Night Combat on the 360, which is basically a shooter / MOBA (multiplayer online battle arena) fusion. This sounds like a Fantasy take on the same concept.

Ever since the release of WoW's first Battleground, I've wanted an AoS-style game with an MMORPG-style interface. I'm going to like LOCO.

MMO Week in Review: QueueAge