Posted: Sep 10th 2010 10:08AM Greyjoy said

• 1 heart
Don't see why people HAVE to make their character at the beginning and make it so specific to the look they want for their character right when they are first starting out

Surely it is more exciting to grow your superhero and as he grows and develops he changes his look, until he hits level cap and then becomes well known for his look

I mean I see superheroes in DC Comics wearing all manner of outfits, look at Wonder Woman now, nothing like her original costume

So why do people find it so unbelievable that their super heroes won't develop and change their looks as they become as powerful as say Batman or Superman

To me that is FAR more exciting than simply having your look EXACTLY at level 1 and your super hero never really developing as a person or a super hero character in the DC Universe

Smallville anyone?

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 11:13AM Purkit said

I concede there are valid arguments for making it a loot based system. Its worked for WoW. However I'm sick of people assuming that making something like WoW will instantly make it better. WoW has hundreds of great features but I personally don't like its reliance on loot and raiding for gear. I don't want my character to be defined by their raid success, some people love that idea, but that's just not how I want to play.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 11:32AM phatbhuda said

Based upon the teaser movie which infers that future Lex Luthor comes back to the 'present' and somehow grants tons of random people super powers, I like the idea that our player characters are brand new at the super stuff.

This means that we're playing out their origin stories. One possible part of a good origin story is the fleshing out of a costume.

Can't wait!

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 1:00PM phatbhuda said

Well, just taking a look a the wikipedia article on alternate versions of Superman: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_versions_of_Superman

There are appear to be 7 different versions of the Superman costume in standard continuity. I think we can count Kal-L since he was retconned to be from a different Earth. I'll count his graying hair as part of a costume change.

Then there are at least 20 different depictions of Superman from 'alternate universes' listed there.

For a more accurate depiction of the same character having multiple costumes (as opposed to different versions of the same character ala Superman) look to The Wasp. It took a 3 page montage to depict her costume changes over the years in Secret Invasion: Requiem. I didn't count them, but there look to be about 200.

And who knows, maybe the character creator, though 'limited' may be powerful enough to keep people happy anyway. Adding customization options later is something that isn't too hard to do. Both of the super hero MMOs out there show that it's possible.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 12:44PM Yukon Sam said

CoX and Champions both have costume pieces that can only be unlocked through play.

More than any other genre, part of being a superhero is having a unique, identifiable look -- from your first origin issue. Achieving this in a game requires having millions of possible costume combinations available upon creation. Holding any significant reserve of options back is inadvisable.

Further, the MMO convention of phat lewt is a poor fit with the superhero ethos. I don't recall Batman thinking, "Let's see.... I snagged an overcharged joy buzzer and acid-squirting flower! Awesome!" Sure, he might collect momentos for the Batcave, but that's pretty much the extent of it.

Phat lewt is a hard thing to overcome... players are heavily trained to expect it. I hope DCUO is not overly reliant on the concept.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 1:04PM phatbhuda said

I believe Batman at times carries a Kryptonite ring. And in the latest animated show, uses Nth metal knuckles.

He doesn't need loot from bad guys because he has super resources. He makes his own loot. How many different suits does batman have for special occasions? How many different vehicles? Special batarangs?

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 1:21PM Purkit said

Loot disguised as content is common in the genre. Its the easy and often cheapest option for developers. Why make an engaging vibrant world with fun and interesting systems when you can drop dungeons everywhere and get people to grind for loot. Most people are happy to do it, its human nature to like getting new sparklies. Ultimately its not really very fulfilling, much like retail therapy its great for a while but once the buzz wears off you are back to looking for your next loot fix. The cycle of loot/grind/loot continues.

I'm certainly not immune to loot envy and I'm not saying loot isnt an essential part of a great MMO expereince, but it should never be the ultimate goal and at the moment to many games rely on that to keep players subbed when it should be the fun game play and community which makes people want to stay.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 1:24PM Ekphrasis said

I support customisation of costumes at character creation. You're building your 'brand' over the course of your in-game career as a superhero so your costume should look the way you want it to look from the beginning.

To use Batman as an example again, Batman didn't wait to defeat a villain, steal/loot the defeated foe for a mask and then commence wearing that mask as part of his costume.

Don't get me wrong - in-game costume unlocks could be something extra - provided there's enough flexibility and choice in the initial costume creation. 100 villains running around in the same zone with a few variations on tights designs and limited accessories as a sort of generic hero until I level up doesn't appeal in the slightest. I want to feel connected to my character.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 1:29PM Superfan said

Yeah, minimal costume creator is likely a deal breaker for me. It's a great part of any MMO. Also why I dislike so many fantasy MMOs where you look similar to the rest. This will be a wait and see for me.

Right now the top supers MMO is City of Heroes. Without a doubt. Champions Online is brutal and I totally regret paying a lot of money for that box on day 1. I will never do that again. CO has it's free to play week and the game was a ghost town. That speaks volumes. The only people saying CO is better than CoH are the ones who got suckered into a lifetime sub. Didn't you guys think there's something odd about the game when they only offered these subs BEFORE launch and not after?!

Anyway, I will never buy another Cryptic product again.

CoH isn't perfect but seems to be moving in a better direction. Hopefully the new lead dev actually understands people like doing stuff in the game. They had some dark days recently but right now the game is hoppin' busy. Glad to see and it is one of the few MMOs you can enjoy playing.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 1:58PM phatbhuda said

Sure, the big characters have iconic costumes that they're known for. However there are plenty of characters whose costumes do change frequently. If DC is more your thing, I'll give you Booster Gold who had a collar and goggle change. Kyle Rayner changed from a normal Green Lantern to Ion and back. Take your Lex Luthor, who temporarily became an Orange Lantern.

But the key here to my opinion, is that players won't be the 'big' characters in the DCU Online story. We'll be playing out the creation and formative years of the characters. And by the time you've gotten enough gear rewards to have a costume that you like, you'll have created an awesome back story that some future comic book can quote later as a flash back or Origin Story special issue.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 6:02PM Yukon Sam said

Of course costumes evolve over time. Batman gained the yellow circle around his bat symbol, then lost it again. Superman's logo has evolved in size and degree of stylization. Diana's skirt and sandals gave way to briefs and boots, and her trademark eagle transformed into a 'WW'.

But those are usually driven by artist and/or editorial preference (or the need to establish a clear trademark), not by the in-world actions of the hero.

I can think of one example where a 'hero' looted a costume for his own use; Wolverine swiped the costume of Fang, one of the Shi'ar royal guard, for a brief period. But he switched back to his own upon returning to Earth (though he apparently liked the color scheme as it resurfaced in his brown-and-tan outfit years later).

So from my perspective, the idea of looting costume pieces is a little out there. You want to be plastered on the front page of the Daily Planet stealing Catwoman's boots?

New costume pieces as quest rewards are a little more palatable, like the CoH mission where you earn the right to wear a cape. But even that example strained credibility a bit for me... wait, I need permission to tie a tablecloth around my neck? I think that should be between me and my fashion consultant.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 9:06PM starka1 said

To anyone that wanted a 'fully unlocked' costume creator,

So how long before you joined CoH? They obviously added costumes through the years. Are you prepared to back up that ridiculous statement and say you tried the game for the first month but ended up waiting 3 years and all the 'right' costume parts before you subscribed again to make the character you wanted?

Posted: Sep 11th 2010 12:13AM starka1 said

You protest too much. Didn't read it as soon as I saw the wall of text. More than fine by me that you will not play the game.

Posted: Sep 12th 2010 5:28PM starka1 said