Posted: Sep 7th 2010 4:15PM C Rose said

Sorry to hear about the Pax pox, but glad you had fun otherwise. Look forward to reading your coverage later.

Posted: Sep 7th 2010 4:33PM hansh0tfirst said

I'm curious what impact the criticism regarding their "tunnel-shooter" approach to the space game has had on development.

Posted: Sep 7th 2010 5:13PM kjhasdfjkhk said

I'm not too worried about the space combat. I don't think it'll be a huge part of the game, just some random quests here and there. Besides, it actually looks fun. I'm much more worried about the normal character combat in the game. It looks very stiff, typical, and well...boring.

Posted: Sep 7th 2010 5:19PM (Unverified) said

It's not going to be changed or scrapped if that's what you mean. Too much has been put into it and not enough time to make it a sandbox. It was never meant to be Eve...

Posted: Sep 8th 2010 1:55AM hansh0tfirst said

@kjhasdfjkhk

Ground combat worries me a bit too, particularly what I saw from the gamescom demo. The melee stuff looks nice, but the ranged vs. ranged bits seemed awkward. Maybe the AI just needs tweaking, but there were many occasions where the player and mobs would have a shootout literally at arm's length.

@Sneaky

I'm glad it's not meant to be a sandbox or Eve, as I'm not interested in either. I'd simply like to be able to stop and/or turn around my ship. You know, about the same level of sophistication one can expect from the space game portion of Halo Reach.

Posted: Sep 9th 2010 10:26AM (Unverified) said

"It's not meant to be EVE..."

I'm sick of hearing that canard. If Bioware actually could do something other than an 80s child's game, they'd make it like X-Wing and rule the universe. Instead they exposed an Achilles Heel unnecessarily.

Posted: Sep 7th 2010 5:32PM (Unverified) said

Larry, can you comment on how the combat in the game feels? From the vids I've seen it doesn't seem very visceral. Sure the avatars show off their animated attacks, blaster and lightsaber glow light up the screen and bars drop towards zero but the avatars don't seem to react to getting attacked and it doesn't look like it affects what they can do. Is this just from experiencing the game second hand?

Posted: Sep 7th 2010 6:10PM Larry Everett said

Shawn asked me to do a hands-on write-up, so I will be detailed there. However, to answer your question specifically, yes, there are actions and reactions from PC and NPCs.

Posted: Sep 7th 2010 5:55PM (Unverified) said

I would like to know about the feel of combat also, from all of the vids I have seen, in a word it looks boring!

Posted: Sep 7th 2010 6:06PM Pagan said

Great writeup! I also scored a VIP pass and loved every second I spent with SWTOR. I spoke at length with Daniel Erickson who was just the nicest guy in the world. If anyone wants to read another blog here is my SWTOR experience
www.paganrites.wordpress.com