Posted: Sep 6th 2010 12:25PM Seffrid said

My main went from 81 to 82 this weekend, in addition to which I progressed with a few alts and, of course, did a lot of other things than just playing EQ2! Incidentally, the double XP weekend has another 24 hours to run.

I've always thought that progress through a MMO should be evenly scaled throughout, although I can understand the very low levels being speeded up to get people into the game proper. However, my gripe with EQ2 has always been that levelling is insanely fast through the first 50 levels, about right through the next 20 levels, and then becomes increasingly tedious through the remaining levels to the cap.

However, xp has been significantly boosted by the doubling of the normal vitality bonus since the last Game Update, to the point where the higher levels are now much more sensibly managed. The lower levels have become even more insane, of course.

So I didn't really see the point in having an extra bonus weekend on top of the existing increase, and I suspect it was purely a promotional exercise. While I welcome the option to vary the way in which your xp is allocated between adventuring xp and alternative achievement xp, if people have to muck around with that by default then something is wrong with the way xp is structured in the first place.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 12:32PM Vrazule said

As a casual gamer, I live for any kind of XP bonus. At my usual pace of advancement, I spend way too much time in the same areas and it only excaserbates the grindy feel that most MMOs engender in me. The faster the level curve, the more enjoyable the game becomes to me. I already take my time to smell the roses, so to speak, so the less time I have to park my butt in a grinding spot, the better.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 12:54PM MewmewGrrl said

I greatly do apologize if this sounds harsh, but it sounds as if you need some self control.

I play EQ2 right now too, and I couldn't care less about getting on this weekend to get double experience. As a matter of fact, I purposely ignore most games double experience times because I want to experience these games as they were meant to be experienced - at the normal xp rate most people get when playing.

You are wishing that it wasn't there, and yet can't stop playing when they do it. Seriously people that are like that are the reasons some games are putting in forced control (over play time) "features", because you can't control your own gaming obsession. It's fine not to play. Just relax and forget about the extra experience. It doesn't matter one way or another if they do it, because you don't have to participate when they do! Let's not take it away from others who like it and are happy to have it because their play time is so super limited, let's not take it away from them just because you can't help yourself and you super play through the whole double xp time.

This really isn't meant to be insulting (hopefully you can see that it isn't) - but I don't know how else to put it. It truly seems like you need to have more gaming self control. If you're having real life anxiety because a double xp weekend is happening and you're not online playing, it's time to realize maybe this is going to OCD levels and you need to figure out a way to relax and get away from it a little bit more.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 1:31PM elocke said

I also have had an issue with EQ2 around the levels of 50-65. I took a wizard to 60 and just got extremely bored with the VERY repetitive style of content. It seems like everything at level 60 is the exact same as it is at level 20 but with a different coat of paint. So I quit the game.

A year later I decided to try the game again, see all the new stuff added with expansions and patches, had fun on a Fury up to about level 53 and I lost "the will" to play yet again due to that boring repetitive quest grind. I don't know what happens in this game around those levels but I do know it's not enough to keep me entertained and willing to slog through to what the community claims is the meat and potatos of EQ2, the endgame.

At this point, after the horrible changes to the spell effects in the game, I really don't think I want to even try the game again in another year. Especially when games like Rift, GW2 and SWTOR are going to be grabbing my attention.

I do know ONE thing that could possibly change all of this, although I doubt it will happen. Give me a STORY, SOE! That's what is appealing to me about GW2, FFXIV, and Rift and has even made a "bad" game better in my gaming history. And not some boring lore hidden in books in the game world or caged in tedious dialog bubbles from npcs. I want full fledged, seat of my pants stories.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 2:34PM SwobyJ said

Rift looks to have bucketloads of story the more I look into it, thank goodness. And the lore writers for each faction are very friendly and helpful so far.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 2:43PM (Unverified) said

I use the bonus XP time to do things I would otherwise consider boring like crafting (just to level-up) and grinding AA XP.

As above posters have mentioned the lower levels (1-50) go by so quickly now you would miss huge amounts of content if you do not carefully manage your AA XP slider to slow down adventurer level progression. Of course, if this is your 3rd or 4th (or 11th!) alt blasting through previously experienced content may be your intention.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 3:47PM Dethdlr said

There is so much content in EQ2 that it has been impossible to do all the content while leveling up for YEARS. Don't want to level too fast, turn of combat XP or move your AA slider so it all goes to AA instead. If you're still concerned about missing out on content, use the chronomage like you mentioned. I just don't get how you can complain about missing out on fun content by making it too fast to other fun content that you'll be too busy with.

Double XP weekend is great for those of us brining up the nth alt or working on the tradeskill grind. Don't wanna use it, don't. :)

And to the poster above who noted that vitality xp was doubled, it wasn't. They changed the way the calculations work and how it gets displayed. It used to say you were earning double xp and now it says you are earning 100% xp bonus. Same thing. If you earn 20 xp points, double that is 40. 100% of 20 is 20 and 20 + 20 is 40. Same thing. What they did was nerf the recruit a friend + vitality + xp potion xp that used to add up to insane xp. Now they just add them together instead of multiply them by each other.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 4:33PM pcgneurotic said

For me, it's great. I've been playing almost since launch, but because of a heavy work schedule, a wife who hates my gaming hobby and having two small boys to raise, my highest level character is a 35 Monk. I've had loads of alts over the years, but the stable has been boiled down to about five now, spread across US, EU and Extended servers. They're all odd levels and some of them are recycled bank alts or whatever, so these double xp weekends are achance for everyone to get out and get some fresh air, bump their crafting, /claim the latest bunch of toys, and shoot for a nice round level. Right now I have nearly everyone up 20 or 25; my main alt got her ass up to 30 (I only rolled her a couple of months ago, so you know that the low end of the game has indeed been juiced up since 2005).

All in all, I'm a happy camper, even though I did have to freeze my adventure xp on one character just now - for the first time ever, shock horror. :D

Posted: Sep 7th 2010 5:18PM (Unverified) said

I can't help but disagree. The overall gist of your column consisted of: "Double XP weekend forces me to play too much to take advantage of how awesome it is."

Wait... it forces you to play... a game?

That's like saying half-off marijuana Mondays forces you to be a stoner. Well, maybe it makes the decision to play or take easier but in the end it's still a choice.

EQ2 is even better about this because you can lock your adventure XP at anytime and not have to worry *at all* about leveling. In every other game there is no way to stay static and experience current content.

Posted: Sep 8th 2010 5:31PM (Unverified) said

EQ2 is most certainly NOT the only game that allows you to turn off XP. City of Heroes has had this feature for quite a while now -- I believe even longer than EQ2, if memory serves.

Posted: Sep 7th 2010 6:33PM (Unverified) said

Simple said: double XP (or any XP-boost, may it be via 10% for every 90lvl char, veteran-potions for 110% etc.) is useful to skip content you have already played once, twice... to make a high-level twink to switch to when needed in group- or raid-playing. I think soe found a good way (even without bonus xp weekends) to implement such faster leveling for veteran players who have seen every zone.
(This last xp-weekend I used to finally get my 2nd char from 89 to 90 - in some 5-6 hours.)

As a 'first-char-starter' you do already level quite fast and eventually skip lot of content in level range up to the 20-40 just because of this speed - but going up to actual cap level 90 still takes some time.

Posted: Sep 13th 2010 6:37PM (Unverified) said

I used the double exp long weekend, almost exclusively, for AA grinding. Because the mid-30 range is the time when the most content explodes and pulls you in every direction, I turn my AA slider to 100% and look to max out my AA points before I pull to far out of that area. The double exp weekend (plus a 110% exp potion, and max vitality) netted me 129 AAs over that long weekend ;)

Make My MMO: November 16 - 22, 2014