Posted: Sep 6th 2010 8:15AM PaterFrog said

In my case, I have a REALLY bad case of alto-itis, meaning I usually know all classes and their mechanics by heart only after 2 weeks into my first description AND play largely with PUGs where the other guys have no idea what their respective class or archetype is actually meant to do.
If I realize that my other party members are doing shit and basically provoking a wipe due to a fail playstyle I tend to go into some kind of 'ez-mode' and start to tell them which skill to use when and where to position themselves, all during the boss fight 10 secs before the wipe. It get's real funny if you have 3 healers, all of which have their own wipe prevention abilites (most notable - WoW: Paladin, Shaman, Druid - some in other games too). Makes me kinda feel like a RTS master in, say, Starcraft 2, except I'm really bad at RTS usually. If the noobs read the chat or the game has those handy over head chat bubbles, I always find a way to save the party. If they don't, I dump them and run if I can revive them. Followed by plenty of preaching on how their class works and descriptions of the more situational skills.
Well, I'm not trying to annoy them and I don't tell them how they have to play, I only tell them why they should use a certain skill in a certain situation. Most people accept that thankfully and make nice teammates later on.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 9:16AM Xilmar said

The first thing that came to mind was a few years ago, in WOW burning crusade, when trying to kill Maulgar (first 25 man raid boss)... we had a couple of hunters who had to pull with misdirection at the same time, kite adds and coordination stuff like that...and almost every try ended badly.

I was playing a mage, so my tactic was simple: blink away from the boss, in any direction, then spam invisibility, pray that my guild mates kept the boss busy for a few seconds and hug the wall towards the instance entrance, to try and avoid any aoes or whatever...saved a bunch on my repair bill, kinda made up for the tens of stacks of water that were made.

nowadays, in EVE, the plan is different. I mean it's all about not getting killed, but now there's no button spamming, everything's more calm and calculated. Each gate camp of bubble is different, so a plan needs to be made asap. If it's possible to escape, that's the main concern, first me then whoever's with me...but if shit's already on the fan blades, then it's all guns active. If i'm dying, i'm taking them with me.

But the most rewarding escape is always in 0.0 with my alt's crane and its 1 billion+ cargo. That's almost as much adrenaline as I care for from a game every time a bubble pops up.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 9:20AM Tizmah said

It really depends. If I'm close to an exit and think I can make it before an enemy gets to me, yeah, I'll bolt. If not, then I'll try to find the most convenient place to die. If I see the PUG die a lot at the beginning (even before I get there), repeatedly though or keep arguing, yeah I run away then.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 9:49AM (Unverified) said

EQ2 and WoW 4 year vet here. In both PVP and group situations, I always ended up being the guy that went down with guns blazing. Tear off as many chunks of HP as you can and hope your group can finish the rest. Sure, sometimes it ended miserably and we totally wipe, but other times one or two of your friends have the same attitude and you can really pull something off that is remarkable.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 10:26AM myr said

I usually go down with guns blazing even in FFXI. If everyone does that, then occasionally the dice roll in your favor.

...If not, then at least you had fun doing it.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 11:32AM Monkey D Luffy said

In FFXI parties i would usually tell everyone to run while i hold the monster back and die. FFXI was my first MMO.

WoW has contaminated me, if a group wipes in WoW i auto assume they are noobs and not worth my time so i leave and get back to the grind.

Posted: Sep 7th 2010 1:53AM Jeromai said

Well, it really depends on the role I'm playing in the group. If I'm tanking, as much as I'd like to instinctually bolt, I'll yell at everyone to run first and if they can clear off in time, then attempt to run away and shed aggro.

If it's a game where aggro isn't easily lost, then run and position somewhere convenient to die and get up again, without getting the rest of the group aggro.

If those plans didn't work out, then welp, it was a heroic last stand anyhow.

If I'm playing a squishy, then hell yeah, running the *bleep* away first.

Unless it's a squishy that is primary healing the tank, then I kind of meander the middle line between withdrawn - "hey tank, see me dancing along the edge, I'm ready to pull out when you are!" and still around - "don't panic and run, I still got your behind covered with heals!"

And of course, the best kind of stuff hits the fan comes in games like City of Heroes where a moronic group can start the fight badly, get half-mangled because you hadn't finished setting up buffs or were recovering endurance for debuffs, they flee and/or die... and then you saunter in, apply your debuffs/controls, utilizing corners to avoid alpha strikes and to take advantage of mob AI to pile up neatly, and unleash your AoEs, promptly soloing the entire monster group in a neat little package. "Geez, was that so difficult, guys?" :)

Posted: Sep 7th 2010 2:19PM pixledriven said

Like many others, it really depends on what I'm playing. As a tank or other heavy melee I tend to try and pull all the agro and let everyone else bail. As DPS .. Its open up with everything and hope they die first (or at least some of them do).

The main role I play, however, is healer/support. So I will usually linger until I'm convinced its irrecoverable, then bail. If I live, I can res the party. If I die, everyone has to run back.

Posted: Sep 8th 2010 10:10AM Valdamar said

I'm usually team leader among my friends so if it looks like things are going wrong I usually put myself in harm's way to try and get the plan back on track - my plan, so I should suffer if it goes wrong, right? Even when I'm not leader I'm fairly gung-ho and proactive (stopping well short of impulsively stupid, thankfully) so I'm often dead before things go really far south - and sometimes my death is the cause of things going south. But I've seen too many groups fail because players were too busy thinking about their own character and not about the success of the group, so I'll put my character on the line and fulfil my role to the best of my ability, even if it means taking one for the team. I'd rather be thought well of as a player than progress as a character, because reputations outlast characters and quite often entire MMOs - and that person you saved could end up being a friend you still have when you play your next MMO.

For me I think part of that attitude comes from EverQuest when in raids everyone had their role and knew when it was better that they died than someone/everyone else - we worked as a unit. That self-sacrificing attitude is something you rarely see in pick-up groups in any MMO nowadays, because the heavy focus on soloing and individual rewards just breeds selfishness, which breeds an attitude of looking out for yourself before the interests of the team. And that's why I only tend to play MMOs with friends nowadays, because we're willing to "take a bullet" for each other and we're all pulling in the same direction.

Though tbh I always saw better discipline and cooperation in the MMOFPS Planetside than I ever did in any MMORPG - take loot greed, PvE soloing and personal death penalties out of the equation, and punish the faction more than the player for failures (though obviously with knock-on effects for all players in the faction), and it breeds cooperation and camaraderie better than any MMORPG, including original EverQuest.

Thematically I prefer heroic last stands over cowardly retreats to safety anyway so even solo I tend to fight to the last. Some of my best solo memories from MMOs have been winning fights where the odds were against me and I didn't know if I'd survive, but I held my nerve and won through by the skin of my teeth and a heap of luck. In fact when I soloed or dual-boxed in EverQuest I deliberately picked places to level that had no possibility of retreat, places where I had to keep moving to stay ahead of respawns, just to make it more exciting for me so that any mistake would mean certain death (Dalnirs and Kaesora were favourite hang-outs for my alts, though groups despised both dungeons).

So yeah I'm the "guns blazing", back to the wall, last stand kind of guy. Running away leaves a bad taste in my mouth. MMORPGs are meant to be about heroic adventure, so be adventurous, but most of all be heroic.