Posted: Sep 6th 2010 11:19AM (Unverified) said

I'm still kinda "Eh" on this title.

Other than the create-your-own class thing (Which seems like it has the potential to be broken with one or two WAY OP class combinations, rendering everything else useless until the next balance patch) it doesn't seem to have much unique or innovative to me.

I'm a TERA fanboy though, and I'm looking forward to a new combat system over what rift seems to have to offer.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 11:31AM Snichy said

Yeah it will take an gigantic effort from the developers to make sure the game is balanced based on the choice to open up all skills and abilities to everyone (eventually) but if they pull it off it will be a great achievement, and will make or break the game.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 12:21PM Dandmcd said

The dev's already previously stated they expect the game to never be balanced, and it will be impossible to see every combination until the players find them through playing. They encourage people trying different classes and builds, and anyone who complains about balance has no right to complain, they are creating a system to allow us to play the way we want, and get creative. They'll patch severe balance issues as people uncover them, but don't expect it to be balanced ever.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 12:26PM Dirame said

This may come as a surprise but they don't think that balancing is necessary.

Read this;

"Scott actually enjoys people thinking about the balance challenges, as he feels that people are thinking of ways that combinations could end up being “too much fun” and that their stance is that they don’t even really want the system to be perfectly balanced. Indeed, Scott doesn’t even believe achieving perfect balance is something to aspire to, as players would be able to do everything and no one would feel special. Scott doesn’t view balance as a huge issue in a game like Rift where you can switch things at a whim, as opposed to your typical MMO where if something gets nerfed you may be stuck with it. Ultimately, Scott expects that there will be “out of balance” builds, but that the possibilities are so great with the soul system that players can discover new “out of balance” builds to trump or counter one already in existence."

Good, bad, depends on what your perspective is.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 12:27PM Dirame said

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 1:58PM Joshua Przygocki said

Personally I hate people complaining about class balance... I don't care so much for PvP though. I'd rather see this game focus on great PvE than hardcore PvP, and no matter how much they balance, people are always gonna complain that one class is overpowered.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 5:00PM Its Utakata stupid said

I sorta agree with Joshua and Dirame...even with somewhat hesitant caution, since I just posted a seroius issue with a certain Cat lv 85 Hunter ability that has the potential of sending them into godmode over in PvP in an article at WoW.com. :(

But then again, Blizz's recent restructuring of the talent trees and class mechanics has made them far more rigid than they are currently...so any tweeks has a more potential effect to change the tree and class from sublime to the ridiculous. Unlike Trion's ideas that having enough options and complextion may in fact dull that runnerway OP effect. It still remains to be seen though how this will be if all goes live in Rift....and if and when the nerf bats get rolled out as a result.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 8:57PM alucard3000 said

Sounds like the hype monster talking there, developers always over talk what their games can do,and no one wants to feel special and lose so most likely will be a big fotm fest or seeing that they wont be doing any balancing maybe foty.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 11:28AM Snichy said

I knew nothing about this game until a couple of weeks back and now im quite looking forward to it, if it lives up to the hype. Unfortunately the genre is rife with games which claimed to be different and looked good prior to release but as I and everyone else knows, hype + expectation ≠ success! Staying positive though, fingers crossed as some of the features do seem exciting.

P.S. Hopefully the "virtual snack of food" which "took away the death penalty" is part of the game and isnt some kind of purchasable item à la Allods Online.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 12:08PM (Unverified) said

I'm usually equally skeptical, but these guys seem like they've got something new to demonstrate all the time, and are very keen to have journalists reporting from hands-on sessions. There's little of the secrecy and slow trickle of news that often leads to a disappointing product. Most of the hands-on reports I've read claim the game already has a release-level of polish.

I'm still skeptical - someone who preordered Dark & Light always will be - but less so than I usually am.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 2:49PM SwobyJ said

They're not over-hyping the game. Every feature they have revealed has been played by others who (like this reviewer) said that it works well.

And that's not all of it - they're clearly keeping things like other major 'dynamic content' under wraps for now :)

Food is in-game so far.

Trion has no announced no plans for a micro-transaction model, and is going on a subscription basis of payment.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 12:26PM Dandmcd said

Great write-up Justin, your hands-on previews are always excellent and I got a sense this game is polished and plays well, and I trust what you have to say. I'm curious if you are more hyped for this game then previously before testing; previously you had it near the bottom of your top 10 MMO's you were looking forward to.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 1:25PM (Unverified) said

I played Rift on Friday and Sunday of PAX. I had a lot of fun.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 1:40PM Thojorkill said

• Half a heart
Video or it never happened... No one cares about the written word any more...

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 2:09PM Joshua Przygocki said

Really? I quite enjoyed reading the article.

And usually I prefer reading over watching.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 7:57PM (Unverified) said

Based on the downranking, I think it's fair to say that nobody cares about Thojorkill's written words.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 1:41PM Joshua Przygocki said

You sound kinda like you were uncomfortable being the healer, I woulda gladly taken your place.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 2:18PM (Unverified) said

I have to admit I'm starting to become quite interested in this. I like the look, the class mechanic, and the fact that it plays well is very promising at this stage.

The only thing holding me back is the memory of Horizons and it's supposed dynamic blight invasions. And Ultima, with it's dynamic ecology. And every other game that has promised dynamic content. None of it ever seems to survive contact with the playerbase.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 2:38PM SwobyJ said

"I had to admit: Up to this point, Rift had been clocking pretty low on my interest radar. It took just one interview and a hands-on demo to change all that."

Yeahhh... that's happenin a lot lately.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 2:57PM SwobyJ said

As such, I anticipate far more interest from gamers toward Rift once Trion actually markets the game lol

So far its just been a few trailers, a few cons.. nothing to capture people away from WoW, GW, etc.

But just wait til November/December ... :)

I jumped on the bandwagon early and a few weeks (and was aware of the game months ago) because Rift looked to be exactly what I wanted, and still want. This article mentions a few new things, and thanks for that! (entering rifts/planes, planar cults, wardstones, Trions reasoning behind the character customization)

We're approaching the closed beta phase. Trion will undoubtedly be using their millions to market the game more strongly then, and coming toward the end (and especially if they're doing an open beta), expect far more coverage from...everyone.

Massively, you may not know how smart it was to (along with Tentonhammer and mmorpg.com) cover Rift this early :)

Betawatch: August 23 - 29, 2014