Posted: Sep 6th 2010 8:13PM hundred said

There's been a lot of complaining about the UI, including the software mouse so far and i agree that its a bit tedious to use mouse and keyboard. so i decided to try my old game pad and the difference is night and day. anyone who's had complaints but also has a game pad laying around should definitely try it. theres a layout on the main site for suggested button configuration and i just went with that. there's really no need to use a mouse, it works that well.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 8:20PM Barinthos said

I'll admit, if I had a controller lying around I'd use it. But as it sits, why should PC gamers be forced to play a PC game with a controller?

The sluggish mouse was my #1 gripe with the alpha/beta. They were able to fix a number of other concerns I had, including the UI, combat speed, movement and camera controls. But that one, very easy to implement feature for PC users? Totally missing.

It's quite obvious to implement a hardware mouse since, well, a couple random people were able to do it.

So wake up SE, add a hardware mouse ability!

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 8:40PM toychristopher said

I too tried it with a controller and it worked much bettter. But why should I test a game with a controller? Especially if I don't want to use one. They won't get any feedback to fix their horrible ui if everyone switches to controllers.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 10:10PM cic said

Can you share the link to the suggest controller setup please? I can't seem to find it...

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 11:58PM Pitt said

What does this windower program do ?

because im already using a program that lets me play full screen windowed mode

It was originally designed for EVE, called "Shiftwindow"

Google is your friend.

Posted: Sep 7th 2010 1:26AM Monkey D Luffy said

• Half a heart
Well with amazing graphics like these there is no room for foolish things like controls.

Just look at how realistic my Lalafell looks in this screenshot.

Amazing!

Posted: Sep 7th 2010 12:35PM Darkstryke said

Gamepads on PC's to play a MMO-RPG is blasphemy. It's just the same as FF11 Online, a console focused port that plays like ass on the pc control wise.

Posted: Sep 7th 2010 12:51PM MewmewGrrl said

One of the benefits to having a PC tho is to use the vastly superior keyboard and mouse combo (at least for this type of game, where you need to click on so many things). No analog stick is ever going to work as well as a mouse in this situation, and it's as if they are trying to force us to use a controller - force us to use some console setup rather than take advantage of the system we're playing it on.

The whole time you're playing it feels as if it's forcing you to want to use a controller instead, making nearly everything you do with the keyboard and mouse feel unnatural and clunky (some recent patches are changing this a little bit). I can easily talk to people, use a hundred different powers and go through menus as fast as I can click normally in an MMO, here everything is forced at a slower pace and made to work best with a controller. Why limit mouse and keyboard control so? If this was a game other than Final Fantasy would people be excited about it with this control scheme? (I'd say a Blizzard game, but hopefully Blizzard will never be ignorant enough to try to do something like this).

The Software Mouse isn't even nearly as bad for me as it is for others, it's just "a little floaty" but that still is annoying as all heck and I can't deal with playing like that. Letting the hardware control the mouse is SIMPLE - it doesn't have to be so much programmed as allowed. It's the most precise way to have mouse control and the most simple. If they think they're going to force us to use a Software Mouse so that it's harder on bots - then they're going to be forcing "those people" rather than "us" - because many of us simply won't play with that kind of setup. And yes it is that simple to me. I will play the first month, if by the time my first month is over there is no official hardware mouse built in (technically we can get banned for using this one unfortunately) - I will cancel and not go back. I very much do let my subscriptions talk for me, I don't keep playing games that do things I dislike (as many cancelled subscriptions of mine would tell you).

Is it better with a controller? Yes. Do I want to play with a controller because of that? No! I want them to fix the mouse / keyboard UI instead.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 8:16PM Synthetic said

"Hell, it's about time."

I kid, of course, unless I don't. Anyway, it's encouraging to see fans working toward improving the game.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 8:41PM toychristopher said

Yeah at least someone is trying to improve it.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 8:17PM MrGutts said

This is really sad it has come to this. Someone had to make this app for a company that is as big as Square Enix.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 8:23PM Saker said

Was thinking the same.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 8:27PM DevilSei said

No, whats sad is Square saying they have no interest in working in a Hardware Mouse into the game currently, or even for release, yet all the needed code is there.

Its beyond lazy. Thats like sitting next to the lightswitch, then asking someone all the way across the room to get up, walk to you, and then flick the switch on, only for you to flick it off when they finally sit back down.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 8:37PM Audacious said

The idea's older than y'all think, if you're unfamiliar with XI.

You had Windower for years before they finally cracked and made a windowed mode for the game, an all in one program for all sorts of things that were standard in other MMO's that were never implemented in XI, proper, and even though it was banned and a bannable offensive to use it, you'd have to be snitched on or go about bragging that you ran the program before they did anything to you about it.

Plus all the graphical hacks and modifications. Big ones, like gear appearance, monster skins, entire zone texture hacks... you name it.

If nothing else, since SE's so lax about enforcing any sort of prohibitions on modified content, the game could become a modder's dream the same way XI was.

Posted: Sep 7th 2010 5:44AM Viiral said

• Half a heart
Why is it sad? The hardware mouse is already ingame, if they wanted to let people test it they would have enabled it.

This patch does 1 thing and 1 think only.

enabled the already built in hardware mouse.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 8:30PM The Minn said

Yet, another reason why I am happy I cancelled my pre-order. SE -should- be fixing this, not the fans...its almost 2011....the UI should be better!

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 8:51PM mmark said

Maybe SE needed to use the software mouse to get click info from the players during testing.

Also, the official Sunday update sped up the mouse to the same speed as the regular mouse on my system.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 10:59PM Dandmcd said

No it didn't, nothing changed in any recent update, including todays.

The software mouse was implemented to help make botting difficult, and because they designed it for the Japanese audience who use controllers for the few computer games they play.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 11:21PM (Unverified) said

I too have noticed the mouse seems to be working better in the last day or so (without the hardware setting change mentioned in the article.) Of course it's difficult to know if that's because of a change I've made to reduce the annoying crashes or if SE actually changed some things. Even the updater actually worked today without freezing up at 99.0%

If SE is fixing things like these good for them, but honestly I'd like to see more open dialog from them so that I can feel comfortable they'll listen to their user base and fix things that are broken (crafting recipe list & action bar settings anyone?) But in recent weeks and from recent interviews SE seems willing to remain isolated from their user base. Too bad too, would love to see the game they'd release if they were more community engaged.

Posted: Sep 7th 2010 11:46AM Muu said

@Cloud Insoo

No doubt about that. FF11 has gotten 100times better recently, with the new director actually listening to players (gasp!) by responding through his twitter account. Much of the updates you see these days are in direct response to the playerbase, though it's still a fraction of what's needed to be done.

The former heads of FF11, who've moved on to 14, are also on there, however they seem to have blacklisted anyone that isn't in their small cliche.