Posted: Sep 5th 2010 10:46AM Minofan said

I'm really trying to get psyched about TOR again - I want a double whammy of gaming with GW2, and none of the games released till then are looking so strong for me - but more footage brings more disappointment.

The armor measures fairly high on the MMO-absurdity scale, but more importantly there is just nothing remotely Star Wars about it; could present either of those Sith outfits as new sets in WAR, WoW, Allods etc. and I wouldn't blink an eye.

The combat, while pleasingly busier, once again falls flat for me; I can admire the intent behind the 'swordplay' melee animation system but the results thus far have no weight or impact, and in general I'm getting a sense why there aren't any sci-fi MMOs with traditional gameplay - gunfights just don't look right at this pace & in wide-open spaces.

I'll just have to keep hoping that the next layer of polish works some magic.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 12:03PM TacoHell said

I actually don't see the problem with combat as it seems to be just like how KOTOR played based on the all the videos, which is what people want. Yes it may seem slow or weird that a light saber doesn't just outright kill someone but in practice it actually flowed well. Then again, maybe that's the problem as not everyone in the MMO community has played KOTOR or were expecting different gameplay since it has been almost 7 years.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 12:13AM (Unverified) said

The animations, physics, and flow of battle don't look up to KotOR standards yet. Thankfully, this is something that can be fixed by applying extra layers of polish. Whether the core combat *feels* solid, fun, and engaging is something we won't know until we can actually play it.

Like alucard.3000 said in a comment above, the characters should show more reaction to combat events. Taking blaster bolts to the face without flinching sort of ruins the immersion.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 11:09AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
sorry, but thats simply plain boring. stale combat, and without any inspiration graphic-wise ... ill leave that one out.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 11:37AM Sorithal said

What's with the trolls already dismissing the game before they've even played it (and since this game isn't coming til 2011 most likely, which means there's still room for change)? *facepalm*

I personally can't wait to do that quest line, it'll be awesome to learn about what exactly happened to Revan after KotoR 1. Plus an appearance from HK-47?

Statement: I am looking forward to playing this game online with other meatbags.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 11:44AM Bartlebe said

• Half a heart

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 12:11PM (Unverified) said

So it would seem. And ironically these are the same people who will be condemning the game from a height when it doesn't live up to their own unrealistic hype.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 12:16PM Saker said

• Half a heart
Heard mentality, very disturbing.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 1:29PM CCon99 said

"Is this the place where anything but overwhelming positive views get voted down?"

Obviously you don't come here much if you think comments have to be "overwhelming positive" on this site. Games get ripped here all the time, if you don't believe me go read an article on a terrible game like STO where you won't find one bit of anything remotely positive written about it. Things that get voted down by everyone are either whining comments, which the first comment was guilty of. The other is writing stuff as fact without having any knowledge or on hand experience of a game that is still a long ways from release which the first comment was guilty of as well.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 1:43PM Brianna Royce said

Try wandering over to the FFXIV threads, where only the positive comments are voted down. :p However, it looks like the only one rated down up until now in this thread was a bit... dramatic, and the word "rape" is a dead give-away. There are at least three other negative comments on this first page alone that seem to be alive and well, which denotes fans willing to listen to criticism but not tantrums.

-Bree

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 2:45PM gemski said

Herd spelling, very disturbing.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 3:24PM Bartlebe said

• Half a heart
I got voted down.

Perfect.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 11:55AM Valdamar said

I wonder if Revan will be the end boss of SWTOR, someone that both Jedi and Sith might fear as he has lived on both sides of the line and maybe found something to make him even more powerful (and/or monstrous) during his wanderings.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 12:19AM (Unverified) said

I doubt it. Making Revan that central to SWTOR's narrative would be impinging too strongly on the narrative of KotOR, and sort of stealing its thunder while at the same time cheapening the drama of the KotOR games. I think it's more likely that HK-47 will be the biggest tie to KotOR, aside from the granddaughter of Bastila Shan.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 11:58AM TheJackman said

HK47 is great can not wait to fight him! Hope he does not get killed however...
some of the voice acting in this trailer was kinda below the level I am use to hear in Bioware games.... It did feel kinda like the voice actor is tired or something...

Party interface look good but all this game look like it will use a lot of instance tech kinda like Guild Wars does now to pull off this kinda story lines. And also Bioware still did not release any info how much freedom you really got to explore this planets...

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 12:58PM (Unverified) said

Conversation bits look really stilted and boring. That said, they're very well acted and I can see myself watching them for the story.

But what I wonder is how my more casual friends will approach this. Especially when they're trying to skip through dialogue to get to the combat and I'm listening to it and they're ready to go already.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 2:08PM SwobyJ said

I'm sure there will be groups/guilds you can join where people specifically NEVER skip dialogue. Good enough for me.

TOR is high on my list. If Rift doesn't pan out, I'm off to be a Jedi Sentinel. But for now, the story of Rift is fascinating enough :)

I don't know any of GW2 story. Meh. I wonder if it's good?

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 12:46PM (Unverified) said

I personally loved this trailer. The bg music was great and voice acting was fine as well. I'm happy that we will be able to play the Chiss (blue skinned - red eyed, Admiral Thrawn race). I loved the looks of the Mandalorian armor and sith inquisitor armor, he didn't speak and he was soo majestic. I also loved the voice modification made by the helmet. The LORE!! Omg Revan's lore getting further inside the game in an instance? I LOVE THAT! :p Lol. Beside this geeky first impression. The art concept.. well... I approve that. I don't know if it can be better over time, but this is what Bioware intends for this game and it's fine with me, the more comic - animated character style than flashy - realistic style of NC games. I hope the models will look better on max settings, but the art style is fine with me. Combat.. well. I don't know.. what have we seen? How many spells were used? 2-3 lightsaber slashes do not define combat speed. But I won't play this game for the combat itself, but for the lore mostly, so I might be somewhat ignorant with regards to the combat system.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 1:02PM (Unverified) said

The game is looking fine in my opinion . Since everybody compares it to wow , does anyone remember what wow looked like 8 months before its target release date?..

Im looking for a fun game with sabers and blasters and it appears that swtor will deliver this. Id rather play a mmo in a future setting than the past.

Make My MMO: October 19 - 25, 2014