Posted: Sep 6th 2010 3:36AM (Unverified) said

I know 90% of FFXI players will play this one. And I am not talking about 90% of the current FFXI players which count in the 400K or so. I am talking about any FFXI player who has played that game for over 6 months. I started a facebook page just to keep track of my old friends who wanted to play the game with me and out of the blue in one day 100+ people had signed up all former FFXI players. I know the game may seem different and the controls seem "ungodly" but this is FF not WoW. FFXI is a game played without a mouse. I felt right at home coming from FFXI to FFXIV. Now do i think SE made a good decission with their controls? I believe they did... Why? Because it is better to make your loyal fans happy then some would be subscriber who may or may not understand the depth of story that SE puts in their games.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 4:20AM Fabius Bile said

At this point this has become a brawl between fanbois and the rest of the world. Since I dont want to be labelled a hater I wont repeat once again the myriad of valid points that people raise about just everything in this game, from UI to controls to server status to performance...

the writing is on the wall yet once again fanbois are proving to be a game's worst enemies...well, they made their bed, now go sleep on it.

green light SE, I'll make sure to have a bucket of popcorn for the release month, its gonna be funny to see how this train wreck happens.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 6:53AM (Unverified) said

Interesting read so far. I suppose I consider myself a FF fan, though I do feel the series has gone sharply downhill since FF7. I played FFXI for a few years and really enjoyed the game, only quit in the end because I couldnt find a decent group of people to play with.

I've played my way through pretty much every big release since Everquest so I think I have a pretty decent idea of what works and what does not. I've seen a few comments that FFXIV is a throwback to the early days of MMO's. Not sure how accurate that is though really, I dont recall ever being particularly confused in either Everquest or FFXI and that was generally without the aid of the plethora of MMO sites that now exist to ruin every facet of a game with too much information :)

So I decided to try out this game without reading any guides first other than the beta manual provided, so I could get an accurate view of the newbie experience of the average player. Character creation was meh but thats no big deal, I dont feel any need to be a special unique little flower, its just a game. First impression in game right away, this is supposed to be a PC game and the mouse/keyboard controls are abominably bad. Right there is thousands of cancelled subscriptions.

No problem I think and plug in my gamepad. Restart, config the gamepad as best I can given the limited tool provided. Back in I go, ok....lets target this guy next to me to talk to. Umm no, not that guy over here, no....not his 4 friends....doh!! Many lines of dialogue later, I venture forth to try out combat. Combat sort of feels like wading through treacle and not just from server lag.

A few fun experiences and a lot of mind boggling bad experiences later, I was done. It felt like every so often I was handed a tasty cake but then I was punched in the nuts repeatedly for hours till I could find the next one. I was starting to get the hang of the game but I felt like I had to fight the game and its UI in order to have any fun. Also way too much website research needed for what should be intuitive.

I know you FF fans are longing for this game to be great. We have all been there before, fighting the corner of a game we want to work. I cant help but feel your blind faith is sadly misplaced though, if this game is not overhauled in a huge way before its PS3 release (after they get all the PC suckers to beta test it whilst paying them), then it is going to bomb hard. Just bad, bad game design with no lessons learned from many other MMO companies failures. Games and their audience have moved on since the "good ol days" but it seem SE have not.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 7:15AM (Unverified) said

@Laephis Eliteism is another way

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 8:19AM Terical said

After much frustration with the battle system with this game I decided I will be canceling my pre order just as soon as I pre order one (which will never happen lol). I might *gasp* go back to Final Fantasy XI. Seeing how my Logitech rumble 2 gamepad is on its way Tuesday (I wouldn't cancel my order if I could). I'm just going to keep searching for another game mmo or not.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 8:40AM Alchemda said

I'm in open beta. I play with a controller. The game runs well on high settings on my computer. The game is a blast when there is no lag. Lag can be fixed. All in all I thoroughly enjoy this game. I only have 2 complaints; that your abilities that you've put on your hot bar get erased when you change a class and then you change back, and crafting is backwards in that you put random materials up hoping you can figure out the recipe. Other than that, this game is a bunch of fun.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 8:50AM Purkit said

Taking away all the negativity about the interface I still feel the game is lacking in other areas.

One of my main grips is the world, which feels extremely static and empty. I'm not talking about the quantity of mobs in the starting area here, which is a major complaint anyway. I'm talking about the things that make the world feel real and vibrant. Outside of the city gates there are literally no features other than a couple of camp sites. All of the camps are basically identical in layout and function. Each one is a hub for starting leve quests and that's it. Where do all the people live? Where is the live stock and farm land? Where are the woodcutters and trapper camps? It all feels so empty.

People are dazzled by the landscapes, which are pretty. But I don't think many people have twigged yet that the world is not really designed as a living thing. People argue that even without quests and set piece content the game will be fun because they just want to explore the beautiful world with their friends. As much as it pains me to say it, I really don't think there is much to find outside the cities. OK I'm sure there will be the odd high end dungeon but so far all I've seen are generic landscapes and randomly spawning mobs.

Lots of space but no places. Lots of landscape but no life.

I want to like this game, but maybe that's just because I'm between games at the moment and this was something I really was thinking of playing. Just because I have some negative views does not make me a 'hater'.

As a technical point I'd also point SE to Wikis page on mipmapping. Sparkly foliage isn't that hard to get rid of.

Posted: Sep 7th 2010 3:09PM (Unverified) said

I'm in the beta now, and the fact of the matter is that the game is just bad, and yes I play with a gamepad, I've played other mmos, including XI, and I've been playing Final Fantasy games since 1987.

XIV is just a bad game. And LOL at "easing" anyone into anything, any console FF player that didn't play FFXI or another mmo will be totally lost in FFXIV. The game is not intuitive, there are WAY too many nested menus, to where everything feels like a chore, e.g. Even repairing your own gear is a pain, you have to: click to open the menu, click to open inventory, click to open the item and check durability, close the menus, click gear menu and click the gear piece you want to repair, click again to unequip it, close menu and open inventory menu again, click to inspect the item, click repair to open the repair/crafting interface, click to insert repair mats, click to confirm material, click to choose number of materials to use, do this for every item needed for repair, click to repair, close menu, click gear menu, click item, click again to re-equip. Do this for every piece of gear you need repaired, because vendors will only repair 50% of your durability. Oh, and your underwear breaks too, and needs repaired, but you can't take them off to repair them.

And then there is the whole surplus thing which I have yet to experience and won't because I don't have any urge to log on and do more for "adventuring" chores like spending a few hundred gil to fix my belt that broke because I went mining or fishing or picked a flower.

The game is pretty but it just isn't fun, it's just tedious and dumb, marked with the Final Fantasy brand and peppered with FFXI nostalgia to try and snare dupes. It's going to fail, at least in the US market, and fail BIG TIME, for no other reason than it's a terrible game.

Posted: Sep 8th 2010 1:42AM hexaemeron said

Yeah, I'm another open beta participant. I was so excited for this game. Couldn't wait.

I cancelled my CE pre-order after approximately 3 hours of "gameplay". Honestly one of those most bassackwardsly designed games of the decade. I'm all for trailblazing and trying new things, but you have to get the BASICS down first.

Control
Targeting
Responsiveness
a UI you don't need to beat into submission at every turn to do the littlest things.

So... I'm 0 for 4 on FFXIV. Maybe I'll peek back in March. Enjoy, paid beta testers.

Posted: Oct 10th 2010 7:15AM (Unverified) said

I don't see the point to all the bashing of FFXIV SE and the racism going on here this has nothing to do with race. Yes FFXIV has some problems, Was it ready for launch? Probably not. Is it a Fail? Definitely not. There hasn't been a single MMO at launch that didn't have problems. Was a longtime player of FFXI (retired) it had its share of major problems at launch much the same as FFXIV as it matures I have no doubt it will become as good if not better then most of the current MMO's on market today. If you want to criticize the game by all means do so its helps the Dev's to make the game better for all but if you just want to post derogatory remarks such as its failed don't bother it helps no one. Japanese are just as upset as NA over the state of the game right now and I am sure SE is scrambling to fix a lot of the major flaws that the game is experiencing. It has nothing to do with they don't care fixing the issues will take time.

Perfect Ten: Strategies for juggling multiple MMOs