Posted: Sep 6th 2010 6:53AM (Unverified) said

In all my contact with NCSoft and Blizzard I have found no company more helpful with account quieries for hacked accounts or forgotten details then SE. To be available to community run fansites and make themselves available to us so we as players can interact how we want is a great step in my opninion.

Not too long ago everyone was bitching that Blizzard was going to enforce Real ID in thier forums and here SE is actively supportting and getting involved in OUR communities and it still is right.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 11:13AM Muu said

Their buffer would be a great idea if they actually did something. In reality, bots are left unchecked, gilsellers rampant, /tells for rmt sites still ongoing...

It's ironic that ff11 has gotten much better now that the main director has directly started talking to users via twitter. Seriously, more than half the current proposed changes are those that were sent to him recently (and for good reason), and much of those things that sage and ga g have previously quashed. It's still a work in progress, but 11 has gotten much better for it, and it almost goes to show that square is trying to bring over a system that's virtually proved itself to not work over the last several years.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 1:02PM (Unverified) said

Worst. Community. Management. Ever.
Completely non-interactive and when you do corner one of their "representatives" and ask any question other than "how's your tea?" they are confrontational or just give you some galling answer like:
"please look forward to enjoying how we ignore you for the foreseeable future"
This BS is just not gonna fly here buddy, we are not conformists, we don't trust or respect you because we *have* to. You're gonna have to earn it.
And so far you haven't earned anything but vague nostalgia.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 7:00AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Who asked you to conform?

This is bloody philosophy. It's a game. Why would anyone respect someone as confrontational and small minded as Massively commentors.

I do appreciate the Irony in that statement but there it is.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 1:22PM (Unverified) said

One final thought.
To those of you who don't think SE *owes* the fans anything...
You are completely wrong.
We are the ones troubleshooting their game for them...
creating alternate methods for patching (since theirs doesn't work for most)
creating recipe lists (since the game has no usable interface for this)
creating alternate graphics hardware profiles to deal with optimization issues
providing tutorials for integral systems
providing guidance to quest NPCs (not marked on maps)
providing technical support for crashes and bugs
and the list goes on...
SE is DAMN lucky to have its fans, --a free labor force-- and they should at the very least communicate with them.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 6:23PM Zetsuei said

This man speaks the truth. The game is lacking so much its not even funny anymore. With less than 3 weeks to launch and all these blatant problems still here the game is in trouble. Honestly if this game doesn't get a delay its gonna kill itself come retail launch.

As far as SE is concerned look at FFXII. Overall its a great game, but is it a Final Fantasy game? No, it is not. Their vision of FF games is going away from what they are. They are too concerned with shiny graphics instead of stellar gameplay, and that is gonna kill this game. XIV looks AMAZING, and yet it has loads of lag and issues that I doubt will get fixed, if ever.

For the normal MMORPG player my advice is avoid buying the game at launch but check back in on it a month after launch. Either the game will be dead, or SE will finally wake up and realize certain things need to be fixed or their game will die.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 1:51PM Bartlebe said

Honestly, they don't care what the western audience thinks.

The Wapanese love it and, from what i've heard, haven't complained a bit.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 2:36PM Audacious said

Believe you me, they don't care what their eastern audience thinks, either. They don't communicate with one or the other, which is why you get gems in XI like the inspection mesage in the Japanese client: "X stares at you intently...."

The above is considered incredibly rude by Japanese standards. Japanese players are offended whenever some one so much as examines their gear because of a poor choice of wording on the developer's part. This is something that probably shouldn't of made it into the live game but did any way because player feedback means diddly squat to Square Enix, in English, German, French, or Japanese.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 3:23PM Bartlebe said

Interesting. I didn't know about that little cultural faux pas.

So that act of staring at someone is offensive in Japan or is the "intensely" part?

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 2:25AM Audacious said

Staring in general. Staring is impolite over there (even if foreigners get stared down all the time, but that's locals in any country, for you) and for a game to have the inspection message declare that someone is staring at you intently is just fecal icing on an already unappetizing cake.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 7:03AM (Unverified) said

If you think your US companies are any better with EU or Australiasia then you;re in a hypocritical dream world.

I can contact SE and talk to someone about my account. WoW is only open until midday my local time and the three times I have tried to call I could not even get on hold and was told to 'try again'.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 2:11PM (Unverified) said

Surely SE can find someone in Japan that can speak and read English well? But right now I don't think there is anything difficult in figuring out what the NA audience thinks of the game so far... It's still just unbelievable to me that they were caught out on the hardware mouse... 2010? hardware mouse is hard? surprised to find out that 90% of the NA feedback is about the mouse? scary stuff. It's gotta make you wonder if they have any clue about the NA audience or really care at all.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 2:49PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
All this hate..... Yeah sure they could listen more... but this is not uncommon for developers...

I have some problems with the game, but not the ones you have posted so far... You all hate the UI, mouse cursor etc... but I don't have any problems with it... My mouse is good and everything runs smoothly. I think the UI is good... Sure it maybe needs some polishing, but that's not very important for me....

The problems I have is, small world, bad chooses on leves(quests. CD etc...)

How can some of you think this game bad and doesn't bring anything new to the mmo genre ? How can you say that SWTOR and Guild Wars 2 is much better ? SWTOR is a copy of earlier mmos (not WoW, 'cause wow is a copy in it self). Guild Wars 2 doesn't look bad, I have to admit.. but I still don't like it...

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 5:30PM (Unverified) said

What you're not telling anyone is that on each of those maps there are entrances to dungeons that also lead into larger maps and so on.

Try playing the game a little before you bitch about it.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 6:45PM (Unverified) said

Sorry, no hardware mouse drivers = no sale.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 7:29PM Purkit said

I'd say this is probably the worst game for a new MMO players I can think of. I'd recommend ANY other MMO over this for a new MMO player. Of all the AAA titles currently in the market this is by far the least user friendly. Its UI is straight out of an 80s JRPG, the controls are sluggish and the design of the game mechanics is mystifying.

I got this second hand from people posting on FFXIVCore so take it with a pinch of salt but I read that Hiromichi Tanaka the Lead developer of XI and, I think XIV, is quoted as saying he's never really looked at or played other MMOs. That would explain the weird old school design you see in this game. Fact is there are hundreds of poor design choices in this game which a new game could have avoided if the developers had just spent more time looking at the mistake other games have made in the past.

Saying all that, I'm really trying to give this game a fair go. I've put quite a few hours into it and I'm having a certain amount of fun. But the game is really trying hard to stop my fun at all costs, its like it wants to drive me away and I just will not take no for an answer ;)

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 7:35PM (Unverified) said

Agreed.

I WANT to love it. The story quests I've done have been fun, but they're all cock-blocked by time limiting and no direction on where/what to do next.

Frustration sums up this game.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 12:09AM Vandal said

I have to agree with this assessment, I was struck by exactly the same feeling that I was playing a decade (at least!) old JRPG. The game has so many flaws that I haven't seen in other games for years. Playing it was like a nostalgic trip down memory lane in the worst way imaginable.

Perhaps you have the patience to struggle against a game that seems determined to keep you from having fun, I just can't do that.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 8:14PM Vrazule said

I spent 10 hours dowloading the client. Another 2 hours of horrible patching procedures. I spent 30 minutes in game. I spent 30 seconds deleting client from my hard drive. I will not be insulted by a clunky interface, lack of mappable keyboard or hedged in by walls and railway progression.

Square Enix doesn't give a crap about western gamers and I cannot for the life of me figure out why they bother to publish anything over here. They have always had an adversarial stance with western gamers and a complete disrespect for our preferred play styles and content designs.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 2:07AM Dranaerys said

I can tell you one thing, given the choice between Aion and FF14 in its current state, I'll resub to Aion in a heartbeat. IT may be a soulless grind, but at least they have a working, easy to use UI and game controls that dont require me to plug in a gamepad in order to enjoy the game "as it was meant to be enjoyed".

One Shots: Nowhere to hide