Posted: Sep 5th 2010 12:22PM Miffy said

I can't see the game having much of a community.

-People who like FF will probably not like FF14
-People who like FF11 will stay with that game
-The system requirements are too high for the broad audience
- People who like MMOs these days will hate FF14
- The controls are too geared to consoles

I just can't see the game having over 100k subs in the west. It'll probably sell a load cause it is Final Fantasy, but I doubt people will stay for long. Lots of negative feedback in the beta and as a player since Alpha, not much has improved and it wont be going to change now.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 12:28PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Dude hush up man if you where in alpha beta and now in OB they have made ALOT of changes that is such a damn lie ! I've been in it since alpha and they MADE ALOT of improvements since then fool!. Also I have talked to ALOT of people in OB and there will be a decent size of players for FFXIV this game will only grow to be better as the days weeks months and years go own. So hush up cuz your opinion's SUCK !

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 1:09PM Monkey D Luffy said

The only problems i have with the game is that the world is too small (It consists of 5 maps), there are still loading screens between maps, and only one of the maps is actually an open area, the rest are just narrow paths.
Here's a pic of all the maps.

They could add more at release, but SE said Open Beta is the full game minus a few small things.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 1:35PM archipelagos said

Wow. Those maps remind me a lot of FF13 and that's really not a good thing. Oh dear. Oh dear.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 1:50PM Dranaerys said

That is very disheartening indeed. Aren't three of those maps for starter areas, too?

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 6:37AM (Unverified) said

where did you read that? SE has said multiple times, you will not see everything in beta only about 10% will be seen.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 2:49AM (Unverified) said

Actually the system requirements are not too high for a broad audience. They may be too high for a lot of people to play at a higher resolution than X720 and full screen. However, most systems that currently play wow at higher than 25fps in Dalaran will play the game at x720 at a very playable framerate.

Sure they would have a better experience with a better PC but they will be able to play it quite nicely. SE has given ample enough room for lowering the graphics options.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 6:55AM (Unverified) said

Erronious information. Quick, everyone take this as fact

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 11:24AM Monkey D Luffy said

@Chainspell. I read it in an interview on FFXIVCore, it was from some gaming event (The German one i think).

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 11:47AM Monkey D Luffy said

@Chainspell. If you can prove me wrong then please do.
I really love FFXIV, but the world consisting only of 5 maps and only one of them being an actual open area is a HUGE let down to me.

I like my MMO's to have lots of content and open areas to explore and not areas of small little paths.

As of right now i can't decide if I'm going to get the game or not. /cry.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 9:44AM Spookimitsu said

Haha, Ioved 11, and this is one of the reasons I got a PS3.

Tried to get a PC up to snuff for the Sept. release..... but looks like I'll have to wait until March ._.

see you all then.

(dont feed trolls)

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 12:28PM Dranaerys said

"Sage and Yasu were quite upbeat about the upcoming launch and said that if you've never set foot in an MMO to date, Final Fantasy XIV would be the perfect beginning to a long gaming relationship."

Considering the atrocious UI, performance on PC and control issues (yes, even with a gamepad) I could not disagree any more with that statement.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 12:30PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
really you have something wrong with your hands. The game works great on a controller and yes the UI is laggy but man its soo damn easy to use IF YOU PEOPLE WOULD READ UP AND STOP BEING LAZY INSTEAD OF SKIPPING DIALOGES AND WANTING THE DEV'S HANDING YOU EVERYTING !

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 12:41PM Dranaerys said

Ive been in CB for a long time, and yes, they improved some things such as camera control, but that does not mean the controls are fixed at all. IF you compare it to any other MMO out there, FF14 handles terribly, from the terrible controls with either gamepad or mouse/keyboard, to the clunky, archaic UI frame you need to pop out to do any damn action.

But why am I bothering, your aguments for the game are that others peoples opinions suck, real mature, buddy.

All the better for you, I suppose, just know that most people who have tried the game have found very little to like about it except the graphics,a dn if SE expects FF14 to be the game to lull in cansual MMO players, well.. I'd like a hit of that shit they are smoking, cause damn, it must be some good weed indeed.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 4:00PM (Unverified) said

FFXIV - the commenter.

Who cares if it works well on a controller? We're PC players, we use a mouse and keyboard.

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 3:14AM Addfwyn said

• 1 heart
@inzagi86

Actually, not everyone on the PC uses a mouse/keyboard. I play most of my games on the PC with my PS3 gamepad, unless there's a PS3 or 360 version of the game available. I think the only type of games i play on my computer with mouse/keyboard exclusively are RTS games, which this is not one of.

So I don't really mind the expectation to use a gamepad, because that is what I would do even if the UI was perfect for mouse/keyboard.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 12:40PM Greyjoy said

Game is pretty dire, step backwards in intuitive UI and MMO enjoyment

I was really REALLY disappointed with what the Japanese developers have produced when you consider titles like GW2 and SWTOR will just walk all over it

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 12:48PM Revolting said

So... was that a positive or a negative interview?

I don't think I've ever witnessed developers with such a remote, uninvolved hands-off approach to their player base. Pretty much every point covered here boils down to "We're not going to be involved. Someone else can figure it out, or, not."

- Community service teams: We've set up smaller teams to act as a buffer between you and us. Because you're filthy.
- Community feedback: No forums for you! We'll watch what you're saying from afar on your own forums, if you can be bothered to run them, but we won't let you interact with us directly. Because you're filthy.
- Community events: If you want to run some, fine, but we won't be. You won't see us out of game for support or on a forum, so no way can you expect to be anywhere near us in game. Because you're filthy.

I feel like I've just been told off for wanting to play their game. Or at least told that I can play it, but not in the same room as them.

In all seriousness, though, I'm actually enjoying the open beta quite a bit, but with such a gigantic and apparently never to be bridged chasm between the developers and the gamers, it's little wonder the whole thing is drowning in a sea of confusion. I was prepared for this to be nothing like like other mmos I've played before, but good grief, there's different and then there's completely mystifying. I've never logged into such a confusing game in my life! I've had do more research on various websites (fan run, naturally!) in three days of playing than I can remember doing for most end game content for other games, and that's just to get through the tutorial phase. It's all gradually starting to make sense to me, but it's an uphill struggle nonetheless.

Most open betas either convince me or dissuade be from going ahead with a game, but this one has me genuinely confused. It's like learning another language, and after reading this interview, I don't think the people whose language I'm learning are ever going to want to talk to me anyway. With mere weeks to go, I have absolutely no idea if I'm going to cancel my pre-order or not.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 1:35PM Audacious said

While I think this is probably the most insightful post on this topic yet and I agree with most of what you say, I have to point out that I find it amusing that someone with the username 'Revolting' would use an analogy in which a developer proclaims their playerbase to be 'filthy'. =3

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 11:24PM (Unverified) said

Totally agree about S-E treating NA players as if we're not worthy of being touched with a ten-foot pole.

I've written about 10,000 words of critique and suggestion on the game since getting into open beta, but I've been relegated to posting my thoughts on random fan sites that S-E will never see, or care about.

And I'm just one of thousands of disillusioned open beta players.

I don't know which I feel more--frustration with S-E for this disappointing game, or sadness that they are digging their own grave in the West.

I really wanted to love FFXIV. I really wanted the game to succeed, to take Final Fantasy into the next generation, to be a brilliant synthesis of the best ideas of last decade's worth of MMOs, coupled with S-E's indisputable flair for storytelling and cinematics. But the game represents a cataclysmic failure to evolve.

And the biggest tragedy is that S-E is completely uninterested in what I, and other disappointed players, have to say about it.

I feel so disillusioned.