Posted: Sep 4th 2010 5:10PM Iraphine said

It's quite controversial, and a lot of people hate SE for their decisions this time around. I don't think they want to be as mainstream as the other MMO's out there. Sure they could make a cookie cutter game like so many others out there (90% of all free to play games follow this), but then it wouldn't be unique.

The fatigue system is crude, and much like FF11 they are trying to have control over our playtime, and what we do with the time we have to play, however in the long run I think we'll learn to appreciate it and understand in the long run what SE is trying to achieve. Although, I think no means of MP regeneration kinda blows, but maybe potions will play a larger role with that, since they were pretty obsolete in 11 asides for mission fights.

FFXIV is different. It's not following FFXI to the T like I once initially thought when I saw the races...and monsters, and skills. It's far more complex in ways, while missing much of what we loved from 11. It's not following any other MMO out there actually. It's easy to compare it to other games, sure. However, what about the "Oh well it's just like WoW!" or... "The UI looks just like Lineage!" haven't herd that once.

It's not even like FF11.

A totally, new and unique system. The UI is sluggish, I admit to that, but in time it's something you'll either get use to, or SE will find a way to speed it up. They don't want people leaving for something as minimalistic as a slow UI.

No Auction House does blow too, but, think of the bright side. Player trades will be the major means of buying and selling, and having your own private auction character (can't remember what their called) will be a new take on auctioning.

And like I said, the fatigue system reducing your exp gains is a downer, but of course you'll find something else to do in the meantime. Craft, farm some materials, help out some of your fellow friends, do some questing or missions, or just explore, it's not like there isn't a vast and expansive world to explore.

Stop seeing the glass half empty!

Posted: Sep 4th 2010 6:33PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
This game is not even close to playable and needs to not only be pulled from the beta stage it needs to go back to the drawing board and re-done. The graphics are fine.

Quests Suck
Nobody likes fatigue
Software mouse is awful
Menus are an Obamanation
The downloader needs to be scrapped
Rework the UI

Posted: Sep 4th 2010 7:00PM dudemanjac said

I don't understand ppl talking about how it is hard to figure out what to do. No, it does not hold your hand through everything, but I like that everything is not right away laid out in front of you. and if you can't take the time to read the conversation, you can go to the quest journal and it will tell you exactly what you need to do.

The software mouse is silly there's no reason for that. It seems like making one would be extra work. But the truth is you really need to just play it with a gamepad. It makes way more sense.

I don't see any difference between these quests and any other mmo. I'll guess I'll see when I get a few more days in. Can someone tell me if there is more story driven stuff like the tutorial stuff with the cute little red head sending you all over town?

Posted: Sep 4th 2010 7:35PM (Unverified) said

Perhaps the different starting zones vary in difficulty. I don't want my hand held, but the zone I started in was ridiculously obtuse. If you were lucky and talked to the right guy, in the right order, he asked you to use the gate leaving the city. A gate not on any map, in a large city of two levels. You had to talk to the guy, follow him, talk to him again, talk to other people, then somehow know to talk to him again. It was a good hour of running around talking to reaaaallly boring NPCs to discern what the goal was and where the gate was. (And why are the NPCs so dull? They say the most generic stuff). Guildleves consist of standing around a glowing stone, then killing rats. Yes, the first one is kill rats. Where is the story? Aion and Conan, for all their faults, started with a bang, thrusting you into an engaging and exciting storyline

Posted: Sep 4th 2010 7:55PM dudemanjac said

I was in Ul'dah and you start of by a monster breaking free that you have to take down. and there is some mysterious guy with glasses that keeps showing up. I'm going to be really disappointed if that turns out to be nothing

Posted: Sep 4th 2010 9:53PM (Unverified) said

it sure is pretty. The problem with the game is it's unplayable. I have picture albums to flip through, and they don't force me to use a controller. This piece of shit is DOA.

Don't buy it. Cancel your preorder. It's that bad. No chance in hell this get's more than 1000 NA subscribers after the first month.

Posted: Sep 4th 2010 10:10PM (Unverified) said

This game is horrible. Don't waste your time

Posted: Sep 4th 2010 11:22PM Cirocco said

I've switched to PS3 controller (a godsend), and I've resigned myself to multi-classing, and when FFXIV launches, I'll see how it goes from there. I definitely want to see where the storyline leads, with all the time-honored Final Fantasy lore and tidbits sprinkled along the way, and enjoy the gorgeous world. This hiccup won't be pretty, but hopefully Square Enix can improve and adjust.

Who knows...maybe Square Enix is primarily targeting the enormous worldwide Final Fantasy fanbase who have yet to convert to any online venture, and ignoring the more traditional MMO players who have cut their teeth on Ultima Online, Everquest, and World of Warcraft. Or not.

Posted: Sep 4th 2010 11:46PM Cendres said

"We need a term for that, incidentally. Who likes "sandpark"?"

Love it!! That's my perfect style of game, not too Ryzom but not too WoW, just perfect with a cherry on top. It would be absolute perfection with jumping, swimming, and a mog house, one can dream.

Oh yeah..And NPC quests.. I hope they are there at release and the leves really aren't what I fear and a replacement for them, that would make me grumpy.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 1:12AM (Unverified) said

Like some of you have commented, the biggest problem with this game is the economy, or lack of one. Everything feeds into the ability to sell your wares and gather the items you need in a timely and effective means. This game provides you none of that.

Today I finally figured out how to actually get to the Market Wards (click teleport when you hit the invisible wall on the path to the area? WTF?) and was shocked to see how it was segmented and composed. Do they honestly expect people to go from person to person to buy and sell? Now if they had an auction house system I would be more than happy switching, even in a clunky, painfully slow manner, to different professions in order to craft and gather to contribute to the economy and further develop my character.

I have played many MMOs including FFXI, which I personally loved, but this game is shockingly bad. The only way I can see having any fun in this game is to be in a tight Linkshell (similar to FFXI) and have a small community within that. But is this what they wanted to accomplish? Thousands of small, isolated groups existing in the same world and never really interacting outside of that? Now I see what they were trying to accomplish... it's a reflection of our own sad lives.

Well rest assured, if we were all transported to the world of FFXIV the first thing I would do for all of us would be to implement an F'in Auction House.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 6:12AM Graill440 said

quote]
" .......And while Square wants you to have the option to solo them, the company wants to encourage you to not just solo everything because it's faster."
endquote]

Such blatant ignorance, decades of crap and they still dont get it. That statement is so absurd. If they dont want you to level fast then make frikken content worth a damn. Soloing something shouldnt be faster, only developer laziness makes it so. But i forget, proper planning isnt in the devs vocabulary, money and length of time to get there is.

Devs way or the highway, go (insert expletive here) yourselves FF devs. (slightly evil smile)

To the fanbois, there is no hate, just baffled wonderment.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 10:51PM (Unverified) said

FFXIV in horrible shape for it being this close to release and yet it is going to come out. The last time I open beta played a game this close to release that was in this bad a shape was Vanguard. We all know how that tuned out.

I loved FFXI and was really looking forward to more in that sort of setting but the game is no where near ready for release.

If you are even vaguely thinking of paying money for this monstrosity, do yourself a favor and try the beta. Best down load (over three days) you could do. I guarantee you won't buy the release and will have saved yourself money.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 12:03PM (Unverified) said

While the UI does seem to stink at times, with the keyboard and mouse, I've gotten used to using all the keyboard shortcuts and the UI flies for me.

The mouse has become designated Camera Angle tool and that's all I use it for now :p

I've been Awe struck with the Open Beta since day one I got in. The game is so different from other MMO's and to me, it feels different in a good way. I love the bazaar, having to go from people to people to check their wares and compare prices: It feels like it's how the real life approach would be for these things, and I know that the World of Warcraft instant gratification society would probably hate the fact that they have to take a little time off to do some window shopping, but I absolutely love it, it feels immerse-iv, I'm existing in this world.

The crafting while I do agree that at least they should put a known's recipe list on the player side for discovering, I don't want them to take away the guessing game as well. Nothing feels more involving than starting off as a new Blacksmith and walking up to a more seasoned blacksmith and asking him or her "Teach me, please!" alright kid, grab this and that and lets get hammering. (speaking with experience.) :p

and of course, the feel for a new MMO, The Next gen quality of this MMO has blown me away. Everything is to scale, cities, open maps, there isn't an inch in the map that isn't explorable or reachable. I tagged along with a few people just to wonder around and take in the beautiful landscape of the game and I had a great time doing so. One nip pick I had through the travels is that there aren't enough open world mobs to go around ending for their treasons of living without a license to live.

I was also blown away by the quality of the main quests you get to do ( non guild leve, the story quest once you start the game and can continue) but I was disappointed in the fact that there aren't more like those for you to try out. I can only assume that the Open Beta allowed you to demo the first few legs of the main story arc, but man I want to continue it so badly :p

if this truly is what next gen mmo quality will be like, just imagine the next gen mmo Blizzard is going to make, huh? It will probably be something completely mind blowing.

I'm sold, my pre-order is going in today. See you other guys in when and if you guys do.

Posted: Sep 5th 2010 9:04PM Vrazule said

I play MMO's to be entertained, not to be controlled or told how to play by the game developer. Set aside that their gameplay and interface are crappy at best, I will not be manhandled by a developer, let alone deal with it from a company that has a history of utter disrespect towards western gamers. I gave FFXI a fair shot and was very disappointed in the game and it's mechanics. Thirty minutes of play time was all I could stand of FFXIV and it has confirmed in my mind that I have no desire to ever give Square Enix another dime in the near or distant future.

Posted: Sep 7th 2010 4:36PM shteevie said

Important notes gathered from the Community Managers at PAX:
1) All XP & SP gains count toward each 'threshold', including Guildleve rewards. So, don't do them at all once you hit any amount of diminishing returns.
2) Fatigue also counts towards Skill points gained from gathering and crafting, so you will hit points where you need to stop making stuff if you want full skill gain from doing so.
3) Since SP and XP are both affected by fatigue, switching classes will get you access to an un-fatigued class to gain skill points with, but since you get XP for everything, you will hit situations where you gain SP for kills/gathers/crafts, but less than 100% XP for it. This /will/ impact the speed at which you can hit level cap.
4) The CMs at PAX did not have any information about the rate at which fatigue is burned off.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 3:02AM (Unverified) said

I completely agree with this article.

I was initially outraged by the 2 day cooldown on guildleves... but after playing for a while it does actually make sense. It give me time to enjoy doing other things such as crafting new gear and levelling my gathering/crafting skills. Both of which have always felt more like a chore than enjoyable gameplay in other MMO's I've played.... Maybe SE have got this one right :)

One Shots: Hello, autumn