Posted: Sep 3rd 2010 6:23PM (Unverified) said

"Well, I think that, although you can be a lone wolf player, you won't get as much out of the game if you don't interact with others."

And except for people who live and die for raids, I'd have to disagree. I solo in every mmo I play. I even form my own "guilds of one" so I can avoid the incessant "ninja invites" from other guilds. Do I talk to other layers? Sure. Will I occasionally help other players? Sure. But for the most part, other players are just NPC's with slightly higher AI that I can sell my crafted pieces to. And I get more out of the game solo than I do with those other players. Especially since I usually have the global chat in all games turned off so I don't have to hear about the latest political scandal, Paris Hiltons' latest bowel movement, or someone describing how they like to screw bunnies while watching South Park and drinking Vino.

I do what I want when I want, without the need of waiting around.

All the drops are mine.

I can actually read the quest text.

I can level at my own leisure.

The list goes on and on.

An mmorpg to me is, for the most part, just a great big neverending singleplayer game. As long as the game itself stays fun, I could care less if anyone else is there or not.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2010 6:35PM benfolds said

I have to agree with Fresno there, i tend to go solo most of the time. It's really hard to find a good guild or corp or whatever the game calls them. I have had the pleasure of being in a great one in WOW until it started getting way to serious and wanted a 4 night commitment to raid. Count me out, and so I was. You can get alot out of the game or games you play by not being in a group. And you can level at your own pace, no "Hey hurry up we need you to level X so you can raid with us."

Not to mention that sometimes you just don't feel all that social. Don't get me wrong, I have great friends in the games I play, but I draw a line at joining a guild or corp.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2010 7:17PM Seffrid said

Fresno sums up my position very well. I agree with all he says.

I've done groups and guilds in the past, but the benefits of them are very over-rated unless you happen to be the type who plays computer games as a strong part of your social life, which I don't and never have.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2010 7:24PM Palebane said

I like to solo much of the time as well. It can be a fun challenge. But a majority of the time, I find myself almost forced to solo, since the prevailing attitude in many of todays games don't really correctly encourage grouping, in my opinion.

I feel players are less likely to group with me, in general, now more than ever. I often wonder if it's simply that some of the popular mechanics of today's MMOs cause players to be more selfish and apathetic than in the past, or if it's just those kinds of people that MMOs largely attract these days. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm just a jerk and don't realize it. Maybe I'm cursed.

Posted: Sep 4th 2010 5:47AM Seffrid said

Palebane, my theory is that people by and large don't look to play computer games with other people, the number for whom it is their prime means of socialising with others on say a Saturday evening is pretty small, and so given the opportunity to play a game on their own they take it.

The problem in the past was that the early MMO's were designed around mechanics that forced people to group whether they wanted to or not. Now they have the choice to stick to their own company when seated alone at a computer they exercise it.

Plus, the veteran MMO'ers are a lot older now than when the genre was new, and they don't have the same freedom to play that they once had. Soloing is much more feasible for those with partners, kids, jobs etc.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2010 9:02PM Russell Clarke said

Yeah I'd agree with fresno too. "L'enfer, c'est autres."

When playing FE purposely craft my own gear (no alt slave!), and never buy anything from the Auction House. So my gear's not great, but would it really be if I was living in a radioactive shitehole?

I rarely group, I'm not in a clan, and I'm quite content not to be. Makes the game somehow more bleak (and less annoying) - as I personally think it should be.

Just me, mah pony Bingles, mah pooch Freud, and the growl of the lizards.

Heavenly.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2010 9:38PM Graill440 said

You have people that play games and then you have people that need their hands held while they play games, these are the guildies or groupies.

Like any enterprising company developers hire spin doctors to announce this is the way of things, if you have a weak mind you go with the announcement, if you have common sense and a will of your own you question these people and ask why, and because i said so doesnt cut it.

Todays MMO community, and devs for that matter, have been brainwashed into thinking that MMO means you must group to enjoy endgame or the good content, to this is say BS. People are to rabid over what the person in the next yard is doing and why they are doing it, and devs feed on this.

In restricting people, forcing them to group to accomplish tasks that are "epic", which is another way to say choke point in the game, you lose more subs than you gain. Any company that restricts what i can access by my self or with any number of others in any way will not get my dollar, simple as that. If a group of 50 people getting that nice end game item can do it, i had better be able to do something of equal value with one or whatever number i choose, including solo, its my choice how i want to play that game, not the devs, and certainly not some hyper guildspaz worried i am enjoying playing a game my way and not theirs.

Massive multiplayer means alot of people online playing the same game at the same time, it has NEVER meant you MUST group, thats a dev thing, and just another shit sandwich your being fed. And some of you seem to like them.

And as the article so ignorantly states in opinion, its not not me playing alone thats not geting what i could out of the game, its the devs making it that way on purpose......and my being as ignorant as they are in continuing to play it.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2010 9:49PM Russell Clarke said

Can't I have a bacon sandwich instead?

Posted: Sep 3rd 2010 10:10PM Dread said

I'm going to agree with the ongoing sentiments of posters above me. I too got into that whole grinding for 2 hours to get pots, gold, buffs etc before settling into 4-6 raids 5 nights a week. It was getting to the stage where I was ingame sometimes longer than I was working per day. At first raiding was awesome, knocking down bosses, scoring purple epics, moving up the server advancement leaderboard....but then somewhere along the lien it started getting petty. People wanted DKP, then points were being deducted for being late, people weren't throwing pots around to people who needed them etc

Now, I like to solo. I love LotRO because I can come and go from the game for weeks at a time and just settle down into it. I am liking FE for the same reason. I find that across the range of MMO's I play people are just shanghaiing each other into short term groups just to bust arse through harder quests and then dropping group as soon as they achieve what they were after leaving everyone else short handed. No camaraderie, no talk and little fun.

Posted: Sep 4th 2010 9:37AM (Unverified) said

It seems to me that most companies and people think of MMO's as grouping up, guilds, and clans working together. People say, if you don't like grouping up why would you play an MMO?

I think of an MMO as a world, with a lot of REAL people in it, instead of NPC's always following the same path and saying the same things..... you shouldn't have to group to enjoy it. Hell there are 1000's of people in my town and I don't wanna talk to 99.9% of them. Billions on earth and I don't talk to... you get my point.

Posted: Sep 4th 2010 9:46AM Greeen said

There is one thing though about being a solo-er for me: it gets boring after a while. Thus I prefer to be in a guild, just to have someone (decent) to chat to, or ask questions without being harrassed for being a n00b and all that stuff. If the guild is too small though and maybe even dissolving, I noticed I get bored and quit even after a while, unless I switch guilds.
I like doing groups, even if pugs can be a bit, well, you know, weird, at times. I just don't like to raid due to the time necessities.
So yes, I like the freedom, but I also like the fact that some things go smoother if helped or if one helps out.

Posted: Sep 4th 2010 12:52PM Stormwaltz said

Designer Damion Schubert (UO, Shadowbane, SWTOR) did a presentation on "The Loner" player at the 2009 Austin Game Developers' Conference.

A Gamespot summary here: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6228707.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;4

His notes in Powerpoint format here: http://www.zenofdesign.com/TheLoner.pptx