Posted: Sep 3rd 2010 9:27PM (Unverified) said

I would LOOOOVE this for Global Agenda, I love the game, but stuck at a level 43 Recon and the grinding for gear and Exp feels a bit too much x.x I would happily pay for double exp and tokens on all characters, even just for 3 months, max out all the classes, then just have fun ^^

Posted: Sep 3rd 2010 10:07PM (Unverified) said

wish they just kept the subs, even though the game is pretty boring at 50 if you're not into getting steamrolled in ava.

They also added items that cost 30k tokens in the same patch.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2010 10:49PM (Unverified) said

Another thing to note is that right now they're testing a new patch on the public test server, which includes an update to how the boosts work. In addition to doubling XP and tokens, they'll now also double credits and the loot you get from winning matches.

While the extra credits are nice, I like the extra loot feature since it'd make it easier to get a lower level character kitted out with decent equipment.

Posted: Sep 4th 2010 1:38PM Its Utakata stupid said

Um...right. I am reading it for what it says. And I'm not sure I would ever try a game that has "experience boosters" you can purchase seperately. It sorta defeats the purpose of it being a game IMO. Unless ofcoase, I am missing something...to which I'll try keep an open mind.

...and purchasable experience boosters packs in WoW, Neofalcon? Maybe on private servers. Perhaps you're refering to their RaF program. Which I don't consider a booster pack per say, since it requires more than one player or account to be in effect and is used to promote new players into the game as well as use encouraging older players to purchase extra accounts. And yes, I have the issues with it as I do with booster packs, in case you're wondering.

And Psychotic Storm, I appreciate your love for all things micro transactions. I remain however unconvinced that they are a good thing.

Posted: Sep 4th 2010 1:44PM Its Utakata stupid said

Oh dear...I did it again. I really, really, really have to be careful who I am replying too. This was meant for the comments below to my my original critque. My extreme apologies....and no I can attest I am not smoking anything that's causing me to do that. :(

Posted: Sep 4th 2010 2:05AM cforciea said

Wait, so the game came out announced as free with an optional subscription, and then announced they were going subscription free, and then came out with an optional subscription? Doesn't that mean they aren't any more "subscription free" than they were from the start, they just changed what was in the subscription package?

Posted: Sep 4th 2010 2:15AM Nef said

If I remember correctly, they launched without a subscription in place but with the intent to have one, that changed to optional, then to free. The difference with the previous subscriptions was the potential blocking of content, more akin to a freemium MMO.

This is simply a boost to character advancement. There's some F2P MMO's that support something similar -- like Requiem.

Posted: Sep 4th 2010 5:09AM Its Utakata stupid said

So really it's F2P with MT's. Giving advatanges to players who can pay and leaving everyone else in the dust. How dissapointing.

Posted: Sep 4th 2010 5:26AM Psychotic Storm said

I disagree, better play the game before you jump into accusations, hey trial is free and allows you to play a good part of the game, try then form an opinion.

Boosters are good in my opinion I don't have the time to play that much so getting my characters to 50 would be nice for vanity reasons mainly.

Posted: Sep 4th 2010 9:12AM Neofalcon said

It's a lot more like Guild Wars' model than anything else. You buy the game and then can play it without a subscription. They sell some "service-y" stuff like name changes and these XP boosts, but that's stuff you can buy in most P2P games (Even WoW, if you refer yourself).

Posted: Sep 4th 2010 10:59AM Cromica said

Utakata you should check it out because you couldn't be more wrong.

Posted: Sep 4th 2010 3:04PM cforciea said

Believe me, I've put many hours into the game. They just lost me as a player went they kept trying to pull PR spin like this.

They had moved to an optional subscription well before launch. The discussed plan was to have the paid content to be AvA to start and then add additional content to the paid list as time progressed. Then they tried to pull a fast one on everybody and take away content that was always implied to be free (high/max sec PvE) and add it to the subscription plan. When that caused problems, they announced that the game was going the Guild Wars model.

The problem is that this is not the Guild Wars model at all. In Guild Wars, you pay for the game, and then additional campaigns/expansions for additional content, with the only microtransactions being quality of life items.

This is once again an attempt to get players to pay a subscription while playing already developed content. Somebody on their staff is hell bent on getting people to pay a subscription even after announcing that they would have no such thing.

Posted: Sep 4th 2010 10:22AM Kyoji said

Good for them, I hope they make a lot of money off this. These boosters are not game breaking at all, and provide you with nothing you cant get without them; they just let you get it a bit faster.

Posted: Sep 4th 2010 1:26PM Joshua Przygocki said

This is great! It will help keep Global Agenda up and running, and it still leaves the game sub-free. They just need to open up AvA to more players, like add more zones for players of certain levels or maybe institute some skill calculation system and allow the little guys to get into AvA too.

Posted: Sep 4th 2010 2:29PM (Unverified) said

These boosts do not imbalance the game at all. If you've never played Global Agenda, then I should tell you that getting to level 30 unlocks all of your basic weaponry and skill points, and then from 30-44 you unlock special situational weaponry, also known as conquest gear. After that levels 45-50 are just pretty much unlocking cosmetic armor. The games mechanics are also more of a shooter, so the lower levels have just as much as a chance to beat a higher level player. This isn't like WoW where you gain energy, health, and other stats as you level up, this is more of a shooter like CoD, where when you level up you unlock new cosmetic armors, dyes, and you also unlock new guns and offhands. (Yes, you do unlock skill points also which do make your character more effective, but getting from 1-30 isn't even really that hard anyways)

Posted: Sep 4th 2010 3:33PM (Unverified) said

PvP games have level bracketing, advancing through levels faster simple means you advance to the next bracket faster. There's no change to balance at all...

Posted: Sep 4th 2010 11:24PM lizardbones said

Yeah, your level doesn't have as much impact on the game as in most other MMO's. Getting to max level does provide some perks, but not being at max level doesn't really cut you off from any of the game's content. XP boost really is a quality of life thing, not a requirement.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014