Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 7:31PM Pingles said

It's a kid-oriented game with card-based combat that is extraordinarily fun.

If it was F2P I'd likely be playing but with how little time I have for gaming it's just not worth the monthly fee for me.

Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 7:45PM (Unverified) said

it is free to play but you hit a wall that need micro payments about 10 hours in.

Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 8:50PM Saker said

I agree with both Pingles, and Glich. It is fun even for adults (who I suspect make up the majority -or close to- of the players), and yes you do hit the wall-of-pay. I do give them credit for alot, including the fact that I haven't found their particular micro-payment-fremium/whatever you want to call it anywhere nearly so obnoxious as the majority of games that use these kinds of systems!

Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 7:54PM dudes said

Must.. ressssissst playing... losing.....

Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 9:56PM ChaosInc said

I'm not too proud to admit I have it installed and play it semi-regularly. I initially got it to have something to do with my oldest without feeling bored, but the card-combat system is actually pretty solid and fun. It feels like it's an offspring of Magic: The Gathering and just about any other decent CCG game (Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, LO5R, etc).

Looking past the "kid" style graphics, the gameplay is fun and holds true to their reputation for being fun for kids and adults alike. Anyone who is a closet Wizard 101 should feel nothing to be ashamed of.

Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 11:27PM Mirin said

My 6 year old loves this game, we have spent a lot of time together playing this one. We have also been enjoying Clone Wars online adventures together. That one also seems like they give you quite a bit to do before making you shell out coin.

I kind of have mixed feelings about getting him into these kinds of games at such a young age ( so far the 2 I mentioned seem just fine content wise, more concerned about the addicting aspect). Are there any other parents out there that are letting their young ones get into this stuff. i'm curious because i always feel like i shouldn't be. We spend a ton of time outside doing other things as well. just curious what other folks are doing

Posted: Sep 6th 2010 5:18PM (Unverified) said

My son has played Wizard101 as well. I too was initially worried about the "addicition" part of playing but that doesn't seem to be a concern anymore.

He moves from game to game (many of them free, flash based games) whenever the mood strikes him but we also enjoy doing a whole host of other things together that don't involve computers.

I've only watched him play Wizard101 but never purchased a membership. I've purchased the in game credits to unlock new areas but not a subscription. I didn't like how it was worded as if you would lose all of your advancements if the membership stopped, at least the other way, the areas he unlocked would remain unlocked. I also didn't like the $9.95 per month subscription, especially coming off Club Penguin's $5.95 per month (which he "outgrew" incidentally).

As a father who is a gamer, the whole Wizard101 thing never resonated with me but I do enjoy watching him play (plus I get to keep an eye on his online activity ;)

Currently, our favorite MMO is AdventureQuest Worlds, I got him a subscription and it's something we enjoy doing together. At $19.95 for three months, it's a little more per month than the aforementioned CP but cheaper than Wizard101.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2010 12:32AM (Unverified) said

Congratulations to them for their two years of success - but I'm afraid I can never condone a company publishing a press release in comic sans font.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2010 9:16AM VioletArrows said