Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 12:52PM Brianna Royce said

I can't believe I have to post this in a "yay open beta" thread, but, um...

Please adhere to the Massively code of conduct when posting in this and all other threads on Massively. Please avoid profanity, as well as ethnic slurs and homophobic language. If your post was deleted from this thread, that was why. Consider this your first and only warning before the banhammer.

Thanks for your cooperation,

-Bree

Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 5:28PM Graill440 said

....Is that!?...why do i hear the theme music from JAWS coming from out of nowhere? (smile)

Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 12:52PM Cendres said

The patcher is indeed working again, to check to see if servers are down as well as login and patcher status:

SE sucks at letting us know what the frack is going on, so bookmark that! See some of you people in Uldah!

Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 1:05PM (Unverified) said

damn wish they would hurry up with the issue.

Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 1:11PM (Unverified) said

I think it's funny you people saying it's a terrible game when you haven't been able to play. Obviously they misjudged the amount their servers could handle versus the demand, but this kind of thing is exactly what open beta is for! If they are in crunch mode right now, which I'm sure they are, you'll have to cut them some slack from being a bit tight lipped about it. At least they were smart enough to triage the problem by temporarily cutting off signups.

Anyway, I'm actually pretty sure the game is terrible and square is going to handle the release badly, but as always, you have to expect problems with beta and getting hissy about it when things go wrong is not getting the point.

Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 5:35PM Graill440 said

@saluk, i have played the 2/3 combo, the game sucks, in my opinion. The mechanics that make the game suck in my opinion, are going to be left in, as per your beloved devs stating so. You are in the minority that like the game (console users, kids, jello, etc), at least on this board and a few others.

We can help you no more.

I respect your opinion and your devoted love for FFXIV and wish you all the best in your future endeavors. (greatbighug), now *sniff*, wipe those tears away go play that game little buckaroo!

Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 1:23PM tchuks said

You can go play WoW if you like. The people who are here are clearly not WoW fans and expect a different style of game.

Simple as that. If people haven't chosen WoW as their game by now, they never will. I'm not saying it's a BAD game, just not the game HERE want to play.

As for this game going F2P in 6 months. I doubt that will happen just because you say so :) SE know how to make a good game. Look at FFXI , the game is night and day different from when it came out 8 years ago. The style of the game remains the same, but the content added breathes a lot of depth into the game.

WoW is more of get to a certain point, do everything, wait patiently for the next big update and do everything again, then wait again and continue. It's popular because there isn't much to do end-game that requires all your time to be split up. You pretty much raid 90% of your end-game badges and armor, and 10% is daily quests for more badges. The raid "zones" might change every 6 months or so, but you're still "raiding" to get badges and armor and what not. It's not an entirely BAD idea, it's great if you have limited time and don't want to learn a completely different end-game task.

Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 1:27PM Triskelion said

• 1 heart
Ahhhh......and so begins the banter; "the game sucks, they can't expect to release this game this month?!?!?!?!?!?! and the other side countering; "its a beta, what do you expect?????" arguments.

Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 1:50PM dudemanjac said

I don't like that I couldn't even get in to sign up for the open beta when I was already signed up for the closed beta. I shouldn't have had to resubmit. But ou well. I'll just have to wait for the next round of invites.

Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 2:15PM (Unverified) said

I was hammering the servers at 3:15am (GMT) which is just after the 2am posted for OB beginning.

Must've been hitting refresh for over an hour, several application/agreement loads, but I did finally get in. Just takes time.

Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 2:18PM Stillhart said

I got in at 3am Pacific time and played a bit. The mouse lag wasn't nearly as bad as I'd been led to believe but I did feel like I was fighting the UI a bit. Hopefully they'll get that smoothed out. The game is gorgeous. I can't wait until I figure out WTF I'm doing so I can go do some quests and play a bit. I was lost in a big city for 30 mins then the servers went down. lol

For those complaining about the slow download speeds, there's a way to open the torrent in a real torrent program (uTorrent) which will DL at full speed. Google it. This requires some minimal computer savvy so if you're a complete noob and can't tell the difference between windows explorer and internet explorer, don't bother. ;)

Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 2:30PM dudemanjac said

I can't stay up that late. I got work to do. I understand them saving it till 10 so that West coast had a chance, but at the same time. I was trying at 1030 and I saw getting no where and I tried for 20 min.

Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 2:50PM Blancmanche said

I managed to get a code and register this morning before I left to work. Last night, as expected, their servers were being DDoS'd by thousand of people slamming their F5 keys. Didn't get a chance to play yet. I hope the servers are up by the time I get hope. Waiting, waiting is not fun. No, fun is being a three foot tall hairless ewok brandishing a five foot greataxe and culling the local fauna.

Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 4:06PM Razzler said

After playing for 2 hours I had to stop because I was getting cramps in my right hand. The software mouse is like trying to thread a needle while wearing boxing gloves.
I think I might enjoy the game with a mouse pointer that didn't lag behind 1-2 seconds but it's hard to tell really...

Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 4:13PM Alamar01 said

OK...I finally got through and have received my beta key. I downloaded the client and followed every step in the email I received.

Now the problem is after I install the client (which I got through the ff14 beta test site) , it does not work. I try to open it, get a black box as though some processes are running, and then nothing! I've tried starting it on 3 different computers now.

Is anyone else having this problem? I literally cant find any help on this online...

Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 7:23PM Abriael said

what specs and OS? I sure never heard of this behavioir though...

Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 4:28PM Abriael said

I finally managed to get in, and goodness, what an improvement over closed beta. 40-60 frames per second ay 1080p (who was saying that you need a 3000 dollars PC for it? not even one third of that, silly kotaku...), no lag on the UI, much faster combat...
And my god, the game looks so fantastic that it maes you cry.

Only problem is a bit of screen tearing that can be annoying sometimes as you turn the camera around.

In any case, despite the problems with access, SE is really on the right track with this game.

And about the access problems, how many hotly anticipated AAA MMORPG did you see with a public open beta lately?
It's funny that earlier people whined at the possibility of the open beta not being public, and now they whine at the consequences that it being public brought.
When hundreds of thousands of people hammer your account/login servers at the same time, there's only so much you can do.

Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 4:39PM Abriael said

oh and by the way, the soundtrack is the best I ever seen in a MMORPG.

Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 4:30PM (Unverified) said

Does anyone actually realize how many thousands of people are trying to download and get registered and then log into this game at once? Its unrealistic to think the problems will continue, once all the people settle down and learn to be patient. No game servers are built to handle the demand of 900 thousand people logging on at the same time.

Everyone wants to be 'first'. Chill out, have a donut and do something else.

I personally DL'd the whole game in about 2 hours. A bit of starting and stopping and the average speed was over 1mbps. Didn't get to apply for a beta key cause it was too late and I needed sleep. But I only tried from a little after 10 to about 1030. Didn't really surprise me the application site was borked. Oh well, no biggie.

Again, about the "mouse lag". For those who never played FFXI, it was exactly the same way...the game is meant to be played in a different style than your generic WOW clone mmorpg. All your moves and abilities are either macro'd to keys or surfed manually with esc, arrows, buttons. Just not a clicky click styale game. Get used to it, its the way of things.

Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 4:47PM (Unverified) said

Yeah from everything I've seen they've quit taking beta applications. Everytime I get through and can log in it tells me they've stopped taking them.

Why I Play: ArcheAge